Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018  (Read 57967 times)

moneen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -41
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2018, 08:34:58 AM »
where they gonna go on the soty trip you think? who's gonna go?

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2018, 08:36:33 AM »
Can't take SOTY seriously when someone wins putting out far less footage and coverage then other deserving skaters. Seems like a random East Coast marketing thing this time around. Not Even counting Evan guys like Joslin who I don't even really care for put out quadruple the footage and hammers this year never mind the last few years which is like 10x the footage.

Loved TJ's stuff... Even that little 20/50 piece with Gonz.

I'm more shocked that he won, considering how poorly executed I thought Fat Bill's filming gimmicks were.

At least 5-6 guys had a real chance. I counted three guys with parts in Peace that were better candidates for SOTY (IMO), based on that alone: Westgate, Evan and Silva.

Milton goes as big and fast as anyone, Joslin has an entire year of hammers and Louie Lopez part in Purple was money.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
I back it, first SOTY since AVE that didn’t skate a kink rail all year?

ave skated a kinked rail in propeller

puff daddy

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:17 AM »
Just rewatched his Blessed part to see if I was missing anything.  It was 39 tricks, 1/4 of which were flatground.  Roughly 2 minutes of actual skating.  SOTY? Ok....

ur a kook

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
Worth reminding ourselves:
SOTY is strictly about commodifying skating/skaters.
'Winning' is  both a recognition of corporate earnings potential & a compounding affect on that potential.
Nothing more.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:53 AM »
anyone got a working link for blessed tho

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
I'm all for Element skaters never winning this award. Nothing against their team, just the brand.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.
[close]

Nothing says class like a nice durag

I get why people are shitting on the Durag thing because it seems like velied racism, but seriously TJ out of all the dudes on FA as classy? I don’t get classy vibes from TJ at all. Nak, and Sage, and Sean seem classy as fuck. Kevin Bradley seems like a jackass. TJ seems like a crusty east co gangsta. Like TJ looks and acts like he is hood AF. If I’m not wrong isn’t everyone on FA except TJ a trust fund baby? I’m pretty sure swans and sages and KBs parents are well off. like TJ dresses thug af compared to like anyone else on that team. I mean he seems like he was brought up good with fat bill and the dudes, but I mean like he seems like he comes from a rough background like a Stevie or somethin.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.
[close]

[close]

I get why people are shitting on the Durag thing because it seems like velied racism, but seriously TJ out of all the dudes on FA as classy? I don’t get classy vibes from TJ at all. Nak, and Sage, and Sean seem classy as fuck. Kevin Bradley seems like a jackass. TJ seems like a crusty east co gangsta. Like TJ looks and acts like he is hood AF. If I’m not wrong isn’t everyone on FA except TJ a trust fund baby? I’m pretty sure swans and sages and KBs parents are well off. like TJ dresses thug af compared to like anyone else on that team. I mean he seems like he was brought up good with fat bill and the dudes, but I mean like he seems like he comes from a rough background like a Stevie or somethin.

Reads like Corey’s big brother interview or a Shapiro supporter.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
The switch 360 flip alone warrants SOTY (if SOTY even meant anything)

calvinsdream

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
Anyone complaining about Tyshawn that wasn't complaining about Kyle Walker's snowboard part for 2016 probably goes on long rants about why they hate Beyonce

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »
What do you all think Phelps meant by “in this day and age”? 

To me it sounded like he was conceding that skating’s vanguard is really in the east coast, specifically NYC right now.  This was Thrasher basically recognizing the sea change. 

I agree picking Tyshawn had a lot to do with trying to stay relevant to the new generation of skaters and marketing.  But I also believe Tyshawn fucking rips and deserved to win at the same time.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »
*points and laughs at all the people hating TJ for getting SOTY

Seriously, Even is good, but I'd rather watch TJ skate trashcans for some reason. He also probably turned down SOTY.

Zion, well he'll have his time in the future (maybe Phelps didnt choose him because he called him a bitch on KOTR hahahahahhaa)

Milton Martinez is amazing but I only remember that huge lipslide he did, which was fucked. Was the Creature video this year? I forget.

In the end, who fucking cares? It doesn't take away the fact that these skaters did a bunch of amazing shit this year. It's all just a marketing tool.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
What do you all think Phelps meant by “in this day and age”?

To me it sounded like he was conceding that skating’s vanguard is really in the east coast, specifically NYC right now.  This was Thrasher basically recognizing the sea change. 

I agree picking Tyshawn had a lot to do with trying to stay relevant to the new generation of skaters and marketing.  But I also believe Tyshawn fucking rips and deserved to win at the same time.

i think he was saying that with the level of skating being so insane these days standing out is really hard to do

puff daddy

« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

KB's from crenshaw his parents are definitely not well off the only trust fund babies are Sean and Aiden

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2018, 09:42:38 AM »
really long overdue. i know they gave it to AVE, but i always thought one of the new guys shouldve got it. glad it was tyshawn. really good bookmark on their era and definitely one of the skater of the last few years. makes the award feel really relevant.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bra I back the look and TJ is one of my all time faves and my SOTY choice, but calling him classy is a stretch for real my man. I actually enjoy the fact he doesn’t give a shit with the way he dresses, it’s pretty refreshing compared to most everyone out now. Like Zion sporting those fucking tiger woods cocktail dinner at the countryclub shit. Also Nyjahs fucking colin kaepaernick West Hollywood gangrape outfits.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
really long overdue. i know they gave it to AVE, but i always thought one of the new guys shouldve got it. glad it was tyshawn. really good bookmark on their era and definitely one of the skater of the last few years. makes the award feel really relevant.

What’s overdue? The east coast part?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Bra I back the look and TJ is one of my all time faves and my SOTY choice, but calling him classy is a stretch for real my man. I actually enjoy the fact he doesn’t give a shit with the way he dresses, it’s pretty refreshing compared to most everyone out now. Like Zion sporting those fucking tiger woods cocktail dinner at the countryclub shit. Also Nyjahs fucking colin kaepaernick West Hollywood gangrape outfits.
This helped your cause.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -522
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
Phelps looks so out of place in NYC, like he inadvertently wandered out of a retirement home.

I like how he grew a mustache. Now he looks less mentally defective and more child rapist.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

cloudy

« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
when it's your birthday and you're about to get absolutely buck on the velcro wall, but then your uncle shows up and your dad says "now go over there and thank your uncle for the gift."

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »
Start the recounts. File the suits. Starting to feel like 2000 Bush v. Gore in here.

I would’ve given it to TJ for that construction vehicle front board in traffic alone.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -749
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »
Real ghetto child. I Wonder what the look SP will rocking on SOTY tour. :'(

Eskorbut0

• Rep: -2
  • Be careful what you wish for
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
Quality over quantity! Tyshawn commands the board while others scrape by. Well deserved.

Tortoise

« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:06 AM »
Start the recounts. File the suits. Starting to feel like 2000 Bush v. Gore in here. 

Wow, I wonder why Brian Anderson took forever to come out. 🤔

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
when it's your birthday and you're about to get absolutely buck on the velcro wall, but then your uncle shows up and your dad says "now go over there and thank your uncle for the gift."

That's literally what that reminds me of. Crazy Uncle Mark. "No, I'm crazy for you!"
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
Quality over quantity! Tyshawn commands the board while others scrape by. Well deserved.
That must be why Tiago didn't win last year.

PeggyHillsShittySpanish

• Rep: 2
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
Everyone was calling him SOTY 2 months before Blessed came out.  Then it was released, had 2 minutes of him skating and they had to stick to their guns.  He's a great skater, tons of style, great trick selection but that 2 minutes of skating does not warrant SOTY.

100% agree. SOTY should be changed to MSOTY. It’s more about marketability than ability.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
Nobody here is about to go out and buy an Element board, so why are you guys so upset about Tyshawn winning? You don’t care that much. I know I don’t.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
do people think he’s actually in a gang or do they say “gangster” to describe his clothing style? either way that’s dumb as fuck.