Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018  (Read 57974 times)

h00man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »
Expand Quote
that rail looks like the top part is chest high. pretty buck if ya ask me with all the commotion. ain't no school yard rail.
[close]
Yeh but he "only nollie flipped a trash can"  ::)

That rail is fucking big. Strobeck's filming doesn't do it justice (no surprises here).

Seen some good shit done over the rail, but a back tail is pretty crazy to me.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -522
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2018, 05:32:56 PM »
Being the best skater never meant being the best at skating. Tyshawn was the one with most memorable footy this year so it's a no brainer. First SOTY i'm stoked about since like Wes...

Exactly! It’s always been about who put themselves out there for themselves more than anything . Tyshawn has the old school skate attitude of a bygone era. He lets the skating do the talking and doesn’t really go out of his way to be anything but himself.

He went from that annoying kid who was really good in the ic/cherry videos to being the standout of a team who’s full of characters. Dude deserves it. He puts down for his city and skating in general. Let the man have his shine.

The fact that I’ve seen so many kids say who? On Instagram comments is mind blowing but such an indicator of how quantity is over taking quality in skating glad they gave it to someone deserving over snowboarder type dudes dominating the industry currently
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Being the best skater never meant being the best at skating. Tyshawn was the one with most memorable footy this year so it's a no brainer. First SOTY i'm stoked about since like Wes...
[close]

Exactly! It’s always been about who put themselves out there for themselves more than anything . Tyshawn has the old school skate attitude of a bygone era. He lets the skating do the talking and doesn’t really go out of his way to be anything but himself.

He went from that annoying kid who was really good in the ic/cherry videos to being the standout of a team who’s full of characters. Dude deserves it. He puts down for his city and skating in general. Let the man have his shine.

The fact that I’ve seen so many kids say who? On Instagram comments is mind blowing but such an indicator of how quantity is over taking quality in skating glad they gave it to someone deserving over snowboarder type dudes dominating the industry currently

What the does “let’s his skating do the talking” even mean? Are other guys shameless self-promoters?

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »
why is phelps so afraid of black people

obscurepurity

• Rep: 14
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »

Love how he clears that little square flat gap at the bottom of the set too. With how tall that rail is it’s probably a given that you’re going to clear it, but still, makes the clip that much cooler

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 550
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2018, 06:12:31 PM »
why is phelps so afraid of black people

he looks like he put on his safari outfit for visiting the indigenous regions of new york so he could express his goodwill to the aboriginals. and he took his safari guide, sir mark gonzales, with him.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -679
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2018, 06:19:47 PM »
You people unknowingly made gangster synonymous with being black then called others racist. Nobody mentioned race. If you're from the hood you know people dress like that here no matter the race. It's like you sissies enjoy being offended so much you look for it.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

fixedgearbike

• Rep: -16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2018, 06:24:45 PM »
Zion

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »
I was hoping for Glick because his souvenir part was sick and Milton Martinez has been going off. But I do like this choice though. The East Coast is killing it and has always been, but now it's becoming a little less low key and I'm alright with that.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Dude it was awkward because Tyshawn is 19 and grew up skating in a city where if someone who looks like Phelps approaches you in a park they are about to expose themselves to you.
[close]
he looks like he put on his safari outfit for visiting the indigenous regions of new york so he could express his goodwill to the aboriginals. and he took his safari guide, sir mark gonzales, with him.

;D

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
You people unknowingly made gangster synonymous with being black then called others racist. Nobody mentioned race. If you're from the hood you know people dress like that here no matter the race. It's like you sissies enjoy being offended so much you look for it.
When did anyone say being gangster = being black?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was gonna say. dude sounds 100 times more butthurt than anyone else who posted in this thread.

Surf-goth

« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I was gonna say. dude sounds 100 times more butthurt than anyone else who posted in this thread.

Someone called it "thinly veiled racism"
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Surf-goth

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2018, 07:37:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Just rewatched his Blessed part to see if I was missing anything.  It was 39 tricks, 1/4 of which were flatground.  Roughly 2 minutes of actual skating.  SOTY? Ok....
[close]
Loved these calculations, can we get some more data to compare? Maybe like, cumulative stair count or number of degrees rotated and we can compare it to everyone else's video parts? Only than will we know who truly deserves to be SOTY...

Expand Quote
Good to see someone on the east coast get it. Just a question - is there any footage of Tyshawn skating tranny? Can he? I’d like to see a King of The Road style challenge before he can get the trophy. He has to do a backside air and an invert.
[close]
I, too, would like to see some KOTR challenges before I'm convinced Tyshawn's footage output this year was top-notch. Maybe we can get him to smear shit on his leg and film a trick, so we know he's really down for the mag?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.
[close]

Nothing says class like a nice durag
[close]
Hey, Surf-Goth, you didn't answer my question in the other thread, so I'll ask it here: what's wrong with du-rags?

The answer is nothing.nothing wrong with durags but they're not classy and they are part of hood culture. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with them
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just rewatched his Blessed part to see if I was missing anything.  It was 39 tricks, 1/4 of which were flatground.  Roughly 2 minutes of actual skating.  SOTY? Ok....
[close]
Loved these calculations, can we get some more data to compare? Maybe like, cumulative stair count or number of degrees rotated and we can compare it to everyone else's video parts? Only than will we know who truly deserves to be SOTY...

Expand Quote
Good to see someone on the east coast get it. Just a question - is there any footage of Tyshawn skating tranny? Can he? I’d like to see a King of The Road style challenge before he can get the trophy. He has to do a backside air and an invert.
[close]
I, too, would like to see some KOTR challenges before I'm convinced Tyshawn's footage output this year was top-notch. Maybe we can get him to smear shit on his leg and film a trick, so we know he's really down for the mag?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What if TJ originally turned down SOTY because he’s one super fucking classy dude? But didnt check with his sponsors first so when they heard they were like “Dude you cant turn this down, we already have a whole product/marketing line for next year”. Maybe thats why the IG vid looks so faked and forced because Thrasher, Supreme, FA, and Adidas knew they would collectively make a fuckload of money collabing/repping him in 2019.
[close]

[close]
Hey, Surf-Goth, you didn't answer my question in the other thread, so I'll ask it here: what's wrong with du-rags?
[close]

The answer is nothing.nothing wrong with durags but they're not classy and they are part of hood culture. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with them
What is "hood culture?" And when did anyone equate being gangster with being black? More importantly, why are you so scared to answer these basic questions?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I might be the only one on earth, but I’m so curious how “surf goth” dresses. 

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Board shorts and eyeliner? Just a guess.

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Say it to his face, Surf-Goth

Surf-goth

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I wouldn't dare
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »
I could care less about all of this bs but would this had happened if he got on Toy Machine and Emerica like he always wanted when he was a kid and wasn't marketed by the hypebeast kookfest marketing machine that is supreme? I honestly think nobody would care.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2018, 08:23:31 PM »
I could care less about all of this bs but would this had happened if he got on Toy Machine and Emerica like he always wanted when he was a kid and wasn't marketed by the hypebeast kookfest marketing machine that is supreme? I honestly think nobody would care.

people might have cared more since you would have really been able to see his tricks in all their glory.

Gary Coleman

« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »

Supreme does next to no marketing compared to the vast majority of skate brands.  They have an insane team and a iconic logo.  Calling Supreme a marketing machine is absolutely insane.  If anything it became effortlessly popular

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

people might have cared more since you would have really been able to see his tricks in all their glory.

I can see this happening. Has TJ been filmed by anyone other than Fat Bill or his clones? If not it needs to happen. Id like to see TJ footage done without the shitty filming.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »
All the finalists were great choices but I see why he was chosen...

No crazy exotic locations
No energy drink hat
No generator lit missions to angle grinded rails

just....
traffic
shitty obstacles
hip high garbage cans
real picnic tables

and then a lot of spontaneous weaving and bobbing ala Gonz...
Congrats
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »

“black people aren’t classy unless they dress like white people do. nothing wrong with them choosing to never be classy”
durags have a purpose you know? cultural roots too.
class has a lot more to it than what someone wears.
good time for some introspection, surf goth.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2018, 08:37:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Classic Class

Surf-goth

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Mostly plain black clothes and the occasional dark Hawaiian shirt. Not classy either.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Surf-goth

« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“black people aren’t classy unless they dress like white people do. nothing wrong with them choosing to never be classy”
durags have a purpose you know? cultural roots too.
class has a lot more to it than what someone wears.
good time for some introspection, surf goth.

You put quotes on that as if i actually said and no man. Pay attention it's not about race It's hood culture.anybody can wear gangsta shit.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.