Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018  (Read 57973 times)

puff daddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #180 on: December 04, 2018, 09:47:17 PM »

this was the thrasher wikipedia the other day

DadBod

• Rep: -3
« Reply #181 on: December 04, 2018, 09:48:25 PM »
Expand Quote
As long as Strokbek isn't filming the SOTY trip, I think it will be alright. I wonder where they will go
[close]

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #182 on: December 04, 2018, 10:06:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The answer is nothing.nothing wrong with durags but they're not classy and they are part of hood culture. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with them
[close]

“black people aren’t classy unless they dress like white people do. nothing wrong with them choosing to never be classy”
durags have a purpose you know? cultural roots too.
class has a lot more to it than what someone wears.
good time for some introspection, surf goth.
[close]

You put quotes on that as if i actually said and no man. Pay attention it's not about race It's hood culture.anybody can wear gangsta shit.

yes I put quotes bc that’s how what you said can be interpreted.

sure anyone can rock it, but you know you’re mostly talking about minorities and underserved communities, right? you know, those who didn’t adopt the style just for cool factor but the people who originated it, for many it’s their culture. you come here and say that inner city or hood or gangsta style (quite specifically the durag) is pretty much to be looked down on and is the antithesis of classy. you gonna go to Harlem and the Bronx, look around shake your head and be like “look at all these classless people”? you gonna go tell em “oh you wanna be classy? if so, dress like the average white american! forget about your daily life and local culture, look and act like what is accepted by society!”

I’m not saying you would, in fact as a skater I doubt you would press people to conform? what I’m saying is that it’s good to ask oneself why we as a whole throw statements like these around as truth, where these thoughts came from, and whether you want to further them as the status quo? I like talking shit on SLAP as much as anyone, but just bc ppl dress differently than you doesn’t mean their realities are any less valid or worthy or “classy.” Aaaand I guess that’s what bothered me enough to write this whole fucking thing... sorry to everyone else.

TL;DR: Class comes from a person’s actions, not their appearance.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 02:26:23 AM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

C Dash Money

• Rep: -10
« Reply #183 on: December 04, 2018, 10:29:43 PM »
Man, I used to think Slap was a kind of arbiter-place of Cool. Or at a least place to find useful albeit cynical criticism. This thread worries me. All these dinosaurs questioning TJ and calling for the likes of Even, JOSLIN, Glick?...my god. If you don't see how TJ has embodied contemporary skating this year then I just don't know....

ArtVandelay

« Reply #184 on: December 04, 2018, 10:35:31 PM »
Man, I used to think Slap was a kind of arbiter-place of Cool. Or at a least place to find useful albeit cynical criticism. This thread worries me. All these dinosaurs questioning TJ and calling for the likes of Even, JOSLIN, Glick?...my god. If you don't see how TJ has embodied contemporary skating this year then I just don't know....

Yeah Joslin’s SOTY trip probably would’ve been to Target.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »
does this mean he gets back to back covers? has anyone done that before?

Melanoma

• Rep: 3
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2018, 11:21:00 PM »

this was the thrasher wikipedia the other day

thank you

midevilco

« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »
I could care less about all of this bs but would this had happened if he got on Toy Machine and Emerica like he always wanted when he was a kid and wasn't marketed by the hypebeast kookfest marketing machine that is supreme? I honestly think nobody would care.
Would he nollie flip trash cans if he rode for Toy Machine / Emerica in NYC? Doubt it.

When was the last time Toy had a NYC based pro, tech dude, or brotha on the squad?

Blame Ed.

Murdock

• Rep: 4
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:17 AM »
What even is SOTY these days?

juuhnuuh

• Rep: -157
  • i love the 90's
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2018, 12:33:19 AM »
Expand Quote
I could care less about all of this bs but would this had happened if he got on Toy Machine and Emerica like he always wanted when he was a kid and wasn't marketed by the hypebeast kookfest marketing machine that is supreme? I honestly think nobody would care.
[close]
Would he nollie flip trash cans if he rode for Toy Machine / Emerica in NYC? Doubt it.

When was the last time Toy had a NYC based pro, tech dude, or brotha on the squad?

Blame Ed.

Isn't TJ's favorite skater Bryan Herman, he was on emerica popping tables right? I think the picknick table, trashcan popping stuff is not that off brand.

Would have been way sicker if Thrasher would have gotten Herman to give him the news.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2018, 12:40:50 AM »
Very good, he is worthy. Youngest SoTY ever?

Carroll was 16 when he got it.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »

so you do care, at least to some extent?

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2018, 02:41:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Very good, he is worthy. Youngest SoTY ever?
[close]

Carroll was 16 when he got it.

Damn, okay, that was before my time.

skitzless

• Rep: 0
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Blame Ed.
[close]

Isn't TJ's favorite skater Bryan Herman, he was on emerica popping tables right? I think the picknick table, trashcan popping stuff is not that off brand.

Would have been way sicker if Thrasher would have gotten Herman to give him the news.

Is fakie inward heel over a table more impressive than nollie inward?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The answer is nothing.nothing wrong with durags but they're not classy and they are part of hood culture. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with them
[close]

“black people aren’t classy unless they dress like white people do. nothing wrong with them choosing to never be classy”
durags have a purpose you know? cultural roots too.
class has a lot more to it than what someone wears.
good time for some introspection, surf goth.
[close]

You put quotes on that as if i actually said and no man. Pay attention it's not about race It's hood culture.anybody can wear gangsta shit.
[close]

yes I put quotes bc that’s how what you said can be interpreted.

sure anyone can rock it, but you know you’re mostly talking about minorities and underserved communities, right? you know, those who didn’t adopt the style just for cool factor but the people who originated it, for many it’s their culture. you come here and say that inner city or hood or gangsta style (quite specifically the durag) is pretty much to be looked down on and is the antithesis of classy. you gonna go to Harlem and the Bronx, look around shake your head and be like “look at all these classless people”? you gonna go tell em “oh you wanna be classy? if so, dress like the average white american! forget about your daily life and local culture, look and act like what is accepted by society!”

I’m not saying you would, in fact as a skater I doubt you would press people to conform? what I’m saying is that it’s good to ask oneself why we as a whole throw statements like these around as truth, where these thoughts came from, and whether you want to further them as the status quo? I like talking shit on SLAP as much as anyone, but just bc ppl dress differently than you doesn’t mean their realities are any less valid or worthy or “classy.” Aaaand I guess that’s what bothered me enough to write this whole fucking thing... sorry to everyone else.

TL;DR: Class comes from a person’s actions, not their appearance.

Good post.  Good message for alot of slap posters who are undeniably racist. (Or at the very least, are posting racially loaded bullshit)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:45:30 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2018, 04:57:57 AM »

A slim majority of Slap backs TJSOTY if you look at the poll thread. The rest of the the skate internet seems about the same. The racially sketchy stuff in here is a bummer and definitely makes a few people sound like out of touch old white men but for the most I’m enjoying watching the detractors cry as Tyshawn does his victory lap

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2018, 05:20:54 AM »

Wait is his style contemporary or throw back? You don’t think they can comprehend a dude skating nyc and stearing clear of transition, cause that’s too...modern??? The fuck you talking about?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2018, 05:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A slim majority of Slap backs TJSOTY if you look at the poll thread. The rest of the the skate internet seems about the same. The racially sketchy stuff in here is a bummer and definitely makes a few people sound like out of touch old white men but for the most I’m enjoying watching the detractors cry as Tyshawn does his victory lap

Really?  I feel like most people are pretty psyched.  Also, I feel like there is a difference between “who you want to be SOTY” and “who you think will be SOTY”, which might explain him not getting the most votes on the poll.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2018, 05:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait is his style contemporary or throw back? You don’t think they can comprehend a dude skating nyc and stearing clear of transition, cause that’s too...modern??? The fuck you talking about?

He's right, guys like Joslin suit the 2005-09 era of skateboarding, Evan's circus tricks and style contrast hard to what skateboarding is in 2018 & Corey is objectively good but just not soty 2018

All the dudes here complaining about tyshawn winning are the same dudes complaining about how zoomed in the blessed footage was, it's pretty similar to some old man complaining about how distorted/loud some new music trend is.

I think what's happening here (which happens to the best of us) is a simple case of "back in my day...". Does everyone here really think that they'll "get it" just indefinitely?

Googan Christmas

• Rep: 25
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He's right, guys like Joslin suit the 2005-09 era of skateboarding, Evan's circus tricks and style contrast hard to what skateboarding is in 2018 & Corey is objectively good but just not soty 2018

All the dudes here complaining about tyshawn winning are the same dudes complaining about how zoomed in the blessed footage was, it's pretty similar to some old man complaining about how distorted/loud some new music trend is.

I think what's happening here (which happens to the best of us) is a simple case of "back in my day...". Does everyone here really think that they'll "get it" just indefinitely?

Uh, fat bill, dill, and Phelps seem to? What a dumb overall argument.  Yeah the thirty year olds, just don’t get it (but somehow those aforementioned geezers do).  You think the camera angles/ music thing is age? Some music is ahead of its time, but some is garbage trends that the people whk like it now will be embarrassed to remember listening to in 10 years (or less). 
camera perspective, the young mans game.
Like these kids are running up to fat bill like “no zoom in more, trust us it’s 2018”

Also I am not against tyahawn getting soty, but there are valid arguments for the other young kids that people mentioned.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1413
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:28 AM »
I'm psyched as hell that TJ got SOTY and I definitely think Fat Bill needs to open up his shots chill out on the slow mo.
unreadable trap logo

Fastfreddy

« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2018, 06:40:36 AM »
It boils down to this:
Phelps makes the decision - all voting is irrelevant.
If Phelps and Thrasher deemed it beneficial to themselves to vote for TJ as a marketing ploy then that's what they did. If they deemed it beneficial to vote for TJ as their favorite skater that year, then that's what they did.

Nothing the viewer or voter did would have swayed or changed that.

To add, I think the decision was correct.

Tyshawn best exemplified skateboarding this year IMO, and the kid is incredible.
I commend Thrasher for steering clear of what was almost 'expected' and taking a look at who is actually influencing most younger/up and coming skaters and it sure as hell isn't Evan Smith, although his skills are undeniable as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:56:34 AM by Fastfreddy »

mtvic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »
The whole soty thing has been a joke anyhow. Thrasher is just trying to sell more shirts at this point. I haven’t seen the supreme video yet but I sure hope that tyshawn has the best part of the year, he beat out some serious competition. 

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2018, 07:11:10 AM »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
Re: why was ManTyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2018, 07:17:20 AM »
Why was manolostapes dissing that nollieflip though?

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2018, 07:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Uh, fat bill, dill, and Phelps seem to? What a dumb overall argument.  Yeah the thirty year olds, just don’t get it (but somehow those aforementioned geezers do).  You think the camera angles/ music thing is age? Some music is ahead of its time, but some is garbage trends that the people whk like it now will be embarrassed to remember listening to in 10 years (or less). 
camera perspective, the young mans game.
Like these kids are running up to fat bill like “no zoom in more, trust us it’s 2018”

Also I am not against tyahawn getting soty, but there are valid arguments for the other young kids that people mentioned.

Nah it's just that you guys are reductive in your attempts to understand things you don't

It's like saying "tiago can ollie 5 trash-cans he definitely deserves it over tyshawn's 4"

Calling Bill & Dill old (Im not including Phelps here cause he's just a face) is missing the point too. Those guys were young when they started investing in concepts which would become popular when presented years later through a different generation (the fa/surpeme team)

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
Re: why was ManTyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Why was manolostapes dissing that nollieflip though?
Cuz he's a kook

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2018, 08:03:27 AM »
Can someone please replace Phelps already? Barf.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Really?  I feel like most people are pretty psyched.  Also, I feel like there is a difference between “who you want to be SOTY” and “who you think will be SOTY”, which might explain him not getting the most votes on the poll.

I probably worded this poorly because it was pre-coffee but I mean that the majority of people are psyched, however the haters who are upset are entertaining.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2018, 09:52:32 AM »
that rail looks like the top part is chest high. pretty buck if ya ask me with all the commotion. ain't no school yard rail.

I actually walked by it just a few minutes ago. It's at the subway stop I get on. Beverly and Vermont. It's big no doubt, but it does look a little bigger on film. The scariest part is that you'd have to haul ass to land away from that weird grate at the bottom.