Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018  (Read 57963 times)

slappyhappy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
  • Skateboarding is dead...
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Tyshawn Jones SOTY 2018
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »
I don't really care much about SOTY and after reading this thread I care less about it.
There are tons of politics involved and I will never understand how Dennis has never won,
especially with his affiliation to DLX/Highspeed/Volcom/ etc?

Now my question here is. Would there be any influence for TJ to win this year due to a "Supreme" store opening on Market Street in SF early next year?  Also, that last minute video of him was definitely pre-thought out for that extra edge to win, without that footy does he still win?

To me, Milton was hands down the winner. That dude is raw...
In search of perfect red curbs.....

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
Yea he dropped an extra edit after Blessed as a SOTY push, but at the same time he’s been posting clips of him skating trash cans at that same spot all year and lots of SOTY contenders drop strategically in the 4th quarter these days.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:17:11 PM by VHS ERA »

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
I can't believe there's still an argument going on about TJ and "classy".

we wouldn't be talking about any of this if people weren't using his durags as justification for him not being classy, which is a massive generalization with racist undertones about black people. yall come out saying durags are for classless people and expect everyone to nod and move along... smh ::)

the idea of "classy" or "nice" clothes in the west only comes from whatever rich white ppl have said is "good" (either created or appropriated) and imposing it on society for decades if not centuries to the point that no one asks why anymore; sucks for those who dont want this conversation to include race.

SLAP gets mad tight when skate culture is appropriated, but will try to shut the conversation down when its pointed out that looking down on black and brown culture has been ingrained in ppls heads, as is made clear by comments like the durag one.

im not even trying to shun people as racist. like i said before, id hopefully like to get ppl to think bout where they got the ideas coming out of their mouths and if they feel okay furthering old thoughts that were fed to us as truths about the world. to ask "why?" more.

honestly if obviating these things day to day gives you peace, whatever, we've all done it... but if and when they're brought up to you dont fight em and pretend like race power dynamics haven't had a hand in shaping society and by extension our own convictions... its a bad look.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:50:55 PM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

shitsandwich

• Rep: -54
« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »
This thread is definitely not classy.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

we wouldn't be talking about any of this if people weren't using his durags as justification for him not being classy, which is a massive generalization with racist undertones about black people. yall come out saying durags are for classless people and expect everyone to nod and move along... smh ::)

the idea of "classy" or "nice" clothes in the west only comes from whatever rich white ppl have said is "good" (either created or appropriated) and imposing it on society for decades if not centuries to the point that no one asks why anymore; sucks for those who dont want this conversation to include race.

SLAP gets mad tight when skate culture is appropriated, but will try to shut the conversation down when its pointed out that looking down on black and brown culture has been ingrained in ppls heads, as is made clear by comments like the durag one.

im not even trying to shun people as racist. like i said before, id hopefully like to get ppl to think bout where they got the ideas coming out of their mouths and if they feel okay furthering old thoughts that were fed to us as truths about the world. to ask "why?" more.

honestly if obviating these things day to day gives you peace, whatever, we've all done it... but if and when they're brought up to you dont fight em and pretend like race power dynamics haven't had a hand in shaping society and by extension our own convictions... its a bad look.

I see you’ve somehow managed to peek through the durag matrix.  Were it not for the fact that we are a bunch brainwashed sheeple, unknowingly having deep biases carved into our brains by a corrupt and hateful culture, debutant balls, awards galas and high society soirées would be a beautiful sea of durags as far as the eye can see.

Sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach when I think of the durag utopia this world could have been.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
I see you’ve somehow managed to peek through the durag matrix.  Were it not for the fact that we are a bunch brainwashed sheeple, unknowingly having deep biases carved into our brains by a corrupt and hateful culture, debutant balls, awards galas and high society soirées would be a beautiful sea of durags as far as the eye can see.

Sometimes it makes me sick to my stomach when I think of the durag utopia this world could have been.

more like we're born into a world that shapes us, but doesn't mean we can't shape it back

imagining a sea of durags made me chuckle tho
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:49:41 AM by Weon »

Surf-goth

• Rep: -679
« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2018, 04:23:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crazy how you got all this just from me saying du rags aren't classy.  You're over analyzing shit dude what if i say mullets aren't classy? Now i hate white people? You're being over sensitive and ridiculous seriously
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Surf-goth

« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2018, 04:24:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude hahaha i seriously chuckled out loud at this shit
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #278 on: December 08, 2018, 04:41:51 AM »
idk how y'all turned this into a heated debate about wave caps but alright.

all i gotta say is if it aint a silky you're a dub.

free max b
FREE MAX B

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #279 on: December 08, 2018, 05:58:49 AM »
TJ is maybe taking care of his hair waves but this is definitely part of his kit.
I am talking about this "I am 19 and i try to act tough" kit
Even him bring the term gang and all that bronx hood shit on instagram.

hence the perceived lack of class

you guys go too far with this racial debate

i'm getting bald, i am white, i am not racist  8)

Surf-goth

« Reply #280 on: December 08, 2018, 06:01:49 AM »
TJ is maybe taking care of his hair waves but this is definitely part of his kit.
I am talking about this "I am 19 and i try to act tough" kit
Even him bring the term gang and all that bronx hood shit on instagram.

hence the perceived lack of class

you guys go too far with this racial debate

i'm getting bald, i am white, i am not racist  8)

100 percent my thoughts exactly
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #281 on: December 08, 2018, 06:47:13 AM »
Lol, glad I'm neither white black latin or asian really.  So I can watch "objectively" while people show off how pc or woke they are by saying du rags worn in public are classy.  TJ can wear one anywhere because he's a celebrity of sorts at this point, also he's someone who makes a living playing in the street, but personal beauty aids worn in public are generally not "classy".  Maybe the sweet waves they are enabling are but the rags not so much. Yet. 

I suspect the people arguing for how classy du rags are (lool) never have to go anywhere near grimy hoods or individuals, or am I wrong in assuming most of the fools on this forum live in some homogenized bumblefuck suburb?  And although it's not unaffected by the current trends in urbanism (re: gentrification) the South Bronx has been a shitty neighborhood since Robert Moses destroyed it with the construction of the Cross Bronx Express Way back in the 50's and 60's.  Of course out of this urban blight grew some of our most vibrant and vital art and music cultures but I'm not about to reiterate my architecture thesis on slap.

In any case we are a ways away from a du rag having the same cultural resonance as say a well cut tweed jacket but we're moving along.  Folks like TJ who have the talent to transcend societal stratifications also help that along.

But maybe I'll wear my grey sweatpants to my cousin's wedding to protest racism.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:57:45 AM by NowhereInLife »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #282 on: December 08, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3434
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #283 on: December 08, 2018, 07:37:27 AM »
Expand Quote
It's pretty entertaining to see people argue over what is and isn't considered classy on SLAP.

SLAP eye for the Bronx Guy
[close]

What surf goth said was pretty racist but if you get an opportunity to take the piss out of a possibly constructive argument about the matter, you'll take it out guess.  Or like alot of white people your sick of hearing about race issues and would every one to just shuddupabout it.

Ok?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
Lol, glad I'm neither white black latin or asian really.  So I can watch "objectively" while people show off how pc or woke they are by saying du rags worn in public are classy.  TJ can wear one anywhere because he's a celebrity of sorts at this point, also he's someone who makes a living playing in the street, but personal beauty aids worn in public are generally not "classy".  Maybe the sweet waves they are enabling are but the rags not so much. Yet. 

I suspect the people arguing for how classy du rags are (lool) never have to go anywhere near grimy hoods or individuals, or am I wrong in assuming most of the fools on this forum live in some homogenized bumblefuck suburb?  And although it's not unaffected by the current trends in urbanism (re: gentrification) the South Bronx has been a shitty neighborhood since Robert Moses destroyed it with the construction of the Cross Bronx Express Way back in the 50's and 60's.  Of course out of this urban blight grew some of our most vibrant and vital art and music cultures but I'm not about to reiterate my architecture thesis on slap.

In any case we are a ways away from a du rag having the same cultural resonance as say a well cut tweed jacket but we're moving along.  Folks like TJ who have the talent to transcend societal stratifications also help that along.

But maybe I'll wear my grey sweatpants to my cousin's wedding to protest racism.

But why is the classiness of durags brought up in a SOTY conversation? Thats why people are saying shit's racist.

Leo Romero wears an Indiana Jones hats, how unclassy!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:02:53 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Crazy how you got all this just from me saying du rags aren't classy.  You're over analyzing shit dude what if i say mullets aren't classy? Now i hate white people? You're being over sensitive and ridiculous seriously

No, I don’t think you hate black people. I think we all say things sometimes that are symptoms of larger shortcomings of society. Few words can sometimes carry heavy meanings, and it certainly got to me that people were trying to ignore that or make light of it, so I felt the need to speak up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:34:00 AM by Weon »

Surf-goth

« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But why is the classiness of durags brought up in a SOTY conversation? Thats why people are saying shit's racist.

Leo Romero wears an Indiana Jones hats, how unclassy!

Because someone said he was too classy to accept soty

I've explained this a couple times already
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's pretty entertaining to see people argue over what is and isn't considered classy on SLAP.

SLAP eye for the Bronx Guy
[close]

What surf goth said was pretty racist but if you get an opportunity to take the piss out of a possibly constructive argument about the matter, you'll take it out guess.  Or like alot of white people your sick of hearing about race issues and would every one to just shuddupabout it.
[close]

Ok?
Jus' sayin.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
I think the thing that gets me about this whole debate is how racially triggered slap is. TJ deserves SOTY and is a boss, but dude also a bitch for how he handles that Manolo thing. Like dude you just won skater of the year. Like y’all saying he’s classy is just a joke because he’s not. It’s not like Jamie foy or Kyle walker were either really. Other then AVE, and Ishod. Who would u say is a classy SOTY post 2010? There aren’t many, and that’s just the truth.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

MKULTRA

• Rep: -18
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2018, 11:57:07 AM »

[/quote]

Does Stephen Lawyer wear the Durag? If he does I think he deserves heavy consideration in the SOTY conversation. Dude definitely innovating at a high level, in the fashion realm. His skating is pretty fashion forward as well.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
I think the thing that gets me about this whole debate is how racially triggered slap is. TJ deserves SOTY and is a boss, but dude also a bitch for how he handles that Manolo thing. Like dude you just won skater of the year. Like y’all saying he’s classy is just a joke because he’s not. It’s not like Jamie foy or Kyle walker were either really. Other then AVE, and Ishod. Who would u say is a classy SOTY post 2010? There aren’t many, and that’s just the truth.

The problem wasn’t disagreeing on whether he’s classy or not, it was using durags as the reason to say he isn’t, which is a much bigger statement. I don’t think ppl will be up in arms from you saying he’s not classy bc of the way he handled the Manolo thing, since you’re commenting on his actions rather than his appearance.

I don’t know how much more I can say the word “classy” without losing it.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2018, 08:11:14 PM »
So basically a Thrasher durag is in order, and the same way everyone and their aunt sally who doesn't skate wears the shirt, everyone and their aunt mitzy who don't have a fro can wear a wave cap.  And thus social progress is made.  Or is that appropriation?

SOTY's probably shouldn't be classy.  It's Thrasher.  Maybe whoever wins a gold medal should.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2018, 08:14:29 PM »
Yea... Classy and Thrasher do not go together. Or at least shouldn't.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2018, 03:08:25 AM »
  I hope Nike buys thrasher.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #294 on: December 09, 2018, 04:07:56 AM »
nuke this thread

it's so embarrassing

halitosis

« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2018, 05:18:04 AM »
I heard he only banged Sara Fucking Snyder from the side.   So does it still count?

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #296 on: December 09, 2018, 06:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  I hope Nike buys thrasher.

I guess there’s just too much marketing involved these days. In the other SOTY poll thread about all of the winners i saw several people voting Silas and Koston as least deserving. Silas had been silently slaying for years and he even had a nollie heel down a 13 in a mag prior to winning. Koston won every contest and pushed technical progression that era. My point is, that I guess the ‘formula’ for SOTY has changed. TJ rips but when i see him acting aloof and pompus in interviews etc. i just see this as fuel for the ego. A bunch of arrogant hipsters and dickriders sway popular opinion of the new trends. Id rather see some random dark horse win it based on how they carry themselves than whoever gets the most instagram likes for swag! Lit! Truuuu! Gang!

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #297 on: December 09, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
I know this would be a longshot, but considering TJ is basically the best flatground skater out rn, it would be dope as fuck if he brought Rodney and Darwin  with him on a SOTY trip.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #298 on: December 09, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »
I know this would be a longshot, but considering TJ is basically the best flatground skater out rn, it would be dope as fuck if he brought Rodney and Darwin  with him on a SOTY trip.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #299 on: December 09, 2018, 11:44:40 AM »
Appearance and character are two different things that should be judged on class independently. A homeless man covered in filth can be a classy respectful individual in character, while a rich guy dressed to the nines can be a total piece of shit.

I have an oldschool opinion about fashion and what I consider classy attire. While attempting to look classy, among other things I would not wear any type of sports attire and sports caps.

Tj shouldnt have slapped any of his peers, and he shouldnt trip out on instagram and keyboard flex on critics.

I think TJ and the Supreme skaters are sick and loved the skating in the video.