Author Topic: cookie war and peace??  (Read 33749 times)

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Re: cookie war and peace??
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2019, 10:02:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Lol. Glad to see SLAP finally understanding how hard this dude rips. Most of you are severely late to this party and have no excuse to be.
[close]

with a name like that, it's easy to not give a fuck.

I'm glad you can admit your error in judgement.

Nicki

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »
Cookie would have killed KOTR (even though Element won anyway). Instead they backed Tyson...
And what the fuck is up with Global vs National Pros - like, are you pro until you leave Australia/Canada etc then you’re back flow? So stupid.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2019, 01:57:24 AM »
enough with the soty talk... i’m not saying he’s not good enough, it’s just that it’s fucking january and this definitely does not seem like a push for soty. the main thing that makes this weird to me is that minor is saying they wanted this part to stand out more than it would have in the actually video so they released it as a web part, which to me is a really weird way of saying that it would have been overlooked/not up to par with the rest of the video and, wouldn’t have stood out as much as it does by itself. maybe i’m taking it the wrong way but, that’s how it sounds to me. so with that said.. it makes me think of how someone else related it to joslin hypothetically having been left out of the plan b video. if they had left joslin out of the video and released his part by itself on thrasher a couple of months later, do you think it would have stood out more than it did as being the opening part for a long awaited video, the same way coulbourn’s part could’ve been? i don’t think so at all. so the logic there doesn’t really make sense to me. also, if you are intentionally going to exclude his part from the video and release it by itself later as a whole different thing, why name it after the video’s b-sides? that’s some wacky shit to me. it’s like “hey we want to give you your own part aside from the video to help you get more exposure and views but.. we’re not going to give you your own title so that people know it’s your own video part that has nothing to do with the project we left you out of.. we’re going to name it AFTER the video we left you out of!” if they were going to do that they could’ve just called it ‘chris coulbourn’s peace part’ and maybe said that he wasn’t happy with his footage for the video so he went and stacked some extra stuff after it was released to make sure it was up to his standards. instead, they released it as a b-side part with a b-side title and are trying to play it off as something special they did to make him stand out more? fucking ridiculous to me. also, i saw evan post his part saying “turn cookie pro!” i don’t think i have ever seen someone post something directed at their own sponsor telling them to turn someone pro. it’s obviously shady business here and if evan smith ends up starting his own board brand as rumored, i hope he sweeps this broken cookie off the cold kitchen floor that is element and gives him a pro board just as another kick in the dick for them for being so wack.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2019, 03:37:58 AM »
i don't get it. 

the part could have been in, and then re-posted down the line on Thrasher like they did with every other part?

they fucked this dude harder than his nickname did

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »
Should of been pro for the last 6 years at least. Get your sht together Element

Nicki

« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2019, 06:38:31 AM »
I wish this part was in Toxic Planet. Element really fucked Cookie. Dumped his part and turned Nassim pro at the premier :o - Fuck that.

thebacker

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2019, 06:45:59 AM »
I wish this part was in Toxic Planet. Element really fucked Cookie. Dumped his part and turned Nassim pro at the premier :o - Fuck that.

nassim deserved that shit, fuck you

Nicki

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And Tyson?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2019, 08:25:45 AM »
Part had so much flavor.

He really stands out from the crowd.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Backheels

• Rep: -160
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah nassim had one of the best parts in the video you clown ass nigga

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait, they actually finally turned Nassim pro? Saw him win Amsterdam Am in 2011 against the likes of Louie, Majerus,  Sewa, Youness, Axel and so on. Should have been pro for some time now.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 10:26:49 AM by Eds_gallerist »

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
enough with the soty talk... i’m not saying he’s not good enough, it’s just that it’s fucking january and this definitely does not seem like a push for soty. the main thing that makes this weird to me is that minor is saying they wanted this part to stand out more than it would have in the actually video so they released it as a web part, which to me is a really weird way of saying that it would have been overlooked/not up to par with the rest of the video and, wouldn’t have stood out as much as it does by itself. maybe i’m taking it the wrong way but, that’s how it sounds to me. so with that said.. it makes me think of how someone else related it to joslin hypothetically having been left out of the plan b video. if they had left joslin out of the video and released his part by itself on thrasher a couple of months later, do you think it would have stood out more than it did as being the opening part for a long awaited video, the same way coulbourn’s part could’ve been? i don’t think so at all. so the logic there doesn’t really make sense to me. also, if you are intentionally going to exclude his part from the video and release it by itself later as a whole different thing, why name it after the video’s b-sides? that’s some wacky shit to me. it’s like “hey we want to give you your own part aside from the video to help you get more exposure and views but.. we’re not going to give you your own title so that people know it’s your own video part that has nothing to do with the project we left you out of.. we’re going to name it AFTER the video we left you out of!” if they were going to do that they could’ve just called it ‘chris coulbourn’s peace part’ and maybe said that he wasn’t happy with his footage for the video so he went and stacked some extra stuff after it was released to make sure it was up to his standards. instead, they released it as a b-side part with a b-side title and are trying to play it off as something special they did to make him stand out more? fucking ridiculous to me. also, i saw evan post his part saying “turn cookie pro!” i don’t think i have ever seen someone post something directed at their own sponsor telling them to turn someone pro. it’s obviously shady business here and if evan smith ends up starting his own board brand as rumored, i hope he sweeps this broken cookie off the cold kitchen floor that is element and gives him a pro board just as another kick in the dick for them for being so wack.

It really comes down to two ways of thinking. Either you think of it like Joakim being left out of true, or you think of it like Dylan’s Gravis part. Dylan’s part would not have had the generational impact it did if it was in mindfield. Sorry, but it just wouldn’t have, it was the first true solo part before thrasher started going crazy with them. If he wanted to do something like that for that purpose, then it’s understandable, but if the company shafted him, like the concept of plan b leaving Joslin out of true, then yeah it’s fucked.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 357
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It really comes down to two ways of thinking. Either you think of it like Joakim being left out of true, or you think of it like Dylan’s Gravis part. Dylan’s part would not have had the generational impact it did if it was in mindfield. Sorry, but it just wouldn’t have, it was the first true solo part before thrasher started going crazy with them. If he wanted to do something like that for that purpose, then it’s understandable, but if the company shafted him, like the concept of plan b leaving Joslin out of true, then yeah it’s fucked.

wait what? dylan had a part in mindfield though, this is totally different. the gravis part was a separate part for a different company.

this was a choice made by the editor, and it was a bad one.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3423
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
I wonder if Darren "Cookiehead" Jenkens is pissed that there's a new cookie in town?

E

• Rep: 15
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
Part was sick, fuck element.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

wait what? dylan had a part in mindfield though, this is totally different. the gravis part was a separate part for a different company.

Yeah the Dylan comparison doesn’t work here as  for reasons said above

But you can compare it to when Plan B finally release PJs Plan B - True or False part

edit- or when sheckler finally releases his bs flip down el toro straight to insta instead of having it in his plan b part..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:36:30 PM by rejectpaul »
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

But you can compare it to when Plan B finally release PJs Plan B - True or False part

edit- or when sheckler finally releases his bs flip down el toro straight to insta instead of having it in his plan b part..

No the reasoning totally works. Burton owned AWS/habitat, Gravis, and analog at the time. Greg Hunt was being paid by burton. Dylan prolly towards the end of filming knew he was spaced out for most of it until u start seeing the Gravis stuff. U can tell the clips he is skating Gravis look much smoother and what he would become. I guarantee towards the end of the video Dylan was like look, keep all the old footage of me and vans, I got some bangers in these Gravis shoes, and I want to completely market myself away from the everyone else. I feel like Hunt prolly knew this. Pro shoes are usually like something planned like at least a year or two out, and if hunt knew they were gonna give Dylan a shoe and he had some bangers in the Gravis shit, and he’s getting paid by burton, he made an extremely risky decision and did an online part. Obviously Dylan basically got deified in skateboarding even prior to his death because of that part. Kids never wanted to be like someone that bad since fucking Christian hosoi. Element could have had those same aspirations, which aren’t super crazy considering that’s the best stand alone part I’ve seen in years.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -148
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
Either you think of it like Joakim being left out of true

I've been looking for Joakim's True part for years.

Anyone got a link?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1399
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2019, 03:44:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No the reasoning totally works. Burton owned AWS/habitat, Gravis, and analog at the time. Greg Hunt was being paid by burton. Dylan prolly towards the end of filming knew he was spaced out for most of it until u start seeing the Gravis stuff. U can tell the clips he is skating Gravis look much smoother and what he would become. I guarantee towards the end of the video Dylan was like look, keep all the old footage of me and vans, I got some bangers in these Gravis shoes, and I want to completely market myself away from the everyone else. I feel like Hunt prolly knew this. Pro shoes are usually like something planned like at least a year or two out, and if hunt knew they were gonna give Dylan a shoe and he had some bangers in the Gravis shit, and he’s getting paid by burton, he made an extremely risky decision and did an online part. Obviously Dylan basically got deified in skateboarding even prior to his death because of that part. Kids never wanted to be like someone that bad since fucking Christian hosoi. Element could have had those same aspirations, which aren’t super crazy considering that’s the best stand alone part I’ve seen in years.

Are you maybe forgetting that the Gravis part was something of a comeback? I know it's been said that his Midfield part wasn't what it could've been given his talent and that Dylan was aware of that. After dealing with some shit he pushed himself super hard to make the Gravis part what it was.
unreadable trap logo

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »
His bowleg-looking style is a bit much sometimes, but that part was mental. Element has without a doubt fucked up

I could see Paul offering him a board on Primitive. Kick off Bastien, Nick Tucker, or Devine Calloway if he needs to free up a spot. His graphic would be a brown reflective cookie because Paul lowkey wanted to win that game of skate.

Nicki

« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah nassim had one of the best parts in the video you clown ass

Yeah, well Cookie also had one of the best parts in the....fuck! Nassim rips but no ones watching a 9minute Nassim part.

Dylan is a bad example for sure, he was already pro for years. If you want use a Mindfield/AWS example - would you leave JJ out of the video and release as a stand alone ‘Gravis part’? Fuck no.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:45:16 PM by Nicki »

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

dylan straight up said that he wasn’t happy with his mindfield part AFTER it came out so he went and filmed the gravis part so... no that doesn’t make sense. the only part that made sense was saying that the part stood out more as an online part than it might have in the workshop video but, you also went on to explain the reasoning behind that yourself, which is because it was the very beginning of internet parts. not nowadays when 10 other parts come out within the next couple of weeks and that part ends up on page 2 before some people even get to watch it, which someone else already mentioned. no matter how good an internet part is today it is quickly buried by a never ending overload of content. mj talked of this in his nine club about wes’s nasty by nature part and it was completely accurate.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

ralf_

• Rep: -27
  • yo
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2019, 03:01:52 PM »
if this was in the peace video i most likely would not have seen it.  ???

so pretty cool that its just on srasher!
wittgenstein says meaning is usage and i think the sk8 community as a whole is stoked af on ludwig.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2019, 03:39:24 AM »
theres no way its an soty push. i think someone just had to be cut to keep the video closer to an hour and they picked him for some reason. to be fair, i knew his name, but not much else/didnt expect anything from him so i can kinda see it based on him being a smaller name. having 10 mins of footage vs julian davidson or jakko or ethan loy's 3-4 mins of footage makes for a more worthwhile/substantial web part too. the "war & peace" thing is almost disrespectful, though. i wasnt sure if it was the part or not when i read the title. definitely deserves a little better. as someone said, throw in the best 3-4 minutes and do a "war & peace" for him after with the rest.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
Dylan was a poster child, they treatin Cookie like a stepchild.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2019, 11:27:37 AM »
theres no way its an soty push. i think someone just had to be cut to keep the video closer to an hour

At that point, what's another 10 minutes?

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

showbobs

• Rep: -1
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2019, 01:05:25 PM »

Sad but true. Anybody who started skating or got into watching skate videos any time after 2009-10 does not want to sit through an hour long skate video.

Although he did get fucked over by not being in the video (sascha too) It's not the worst thing their parts are coming out online cause I believe more people will see them. I'm still not trying to justify their parts being in the video, Element could have easily trimmed some of the fat in that hour long video to fit this part in.

Nicki

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2019, 05:46:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sad but true. Anybody who started skating or got into watching skate videos any time after 2009-10 does not want to sit through an hour long skate video.

Although he did get fucked over by not being in the video (sascha too) It's not the worst thing their parts are coming out online cause I believe more people will see them. I'm still not trying to justify their parts being in the video, Element could have easily trimmed some of the fat in that hour long video to fit this part in.

And yet, Tyshawn gets SOTY for his part at the back end of 70 minutes of unwatchable wank...

But, yeah - easily could have been in the video and web part. Just take one trick; how the fuck do you leave that ender out of your full length?!?! When Cookie got that unbelievable round rail 5050 to 5050 do you think he thought itd end up hidden on a web edit posted as bsides/raw?? Most companies try to hold onto enders at famous spots to use in their fulllength. Element just throws it in the feed. Fuck You Element.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1612
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »
If someone had told me this was actually in Peace.....which I watched twice....I wouldn't argue... 'Hmm don't remember it but there were a bunch of guys in there....' 

Could have had better music:

cloudy

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
an interview with chris went up on thrasher's website yesterday - http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/the-follow-up-chris-cookie-colbourn/.

I watched your timeline of footage about a year ago and I wanna say it was only 30 percent of what I saw in that new Element part. Was that footage lost? Where was it, dude?

I realized I had footage with over 15 different filmers in LA and a lot of it for sure got lost or not turned in during the editing process for PEACE. Given that Miner was focused on what he thought he had, and not just guessing about what maybe I had, I got left out of being a priority [emphasis added].

You mean like wrangling the missing clips?

Yeah, wrangling the clips is a great way to say it, because like I said there was a lot of filmers involved and it must have taken a lot of time. What's strange is, most things I enjoy, or projects I like, are the ones that are all filmed by one person. So to go out and do things I'm incredibly proud of with numerous people has been quite the challenge for me. And I'm beating myself up over it, that's for sure. But I don’t want to regret anything. Had I not gone out on those random days that no one was meeting up and just tried something, a lot of my part wouldn’t have happened [emphasis added]. And I think that's natural. It might not be good for deadlines, but I'm glad I got those tricks with my friends. The way I enjoy skating is little more sporadic than some. I enjoy driving by and finding something and trying my absolute hardest immediately rather than seeing it and thinking about it for weeks on end and then going back at a certain time with a certain filmer and a certain photographer.

so am i understanding this correctly? there were "days that no one was meeting up," so chris would hit up some filmers other than miner to get clips - clips, by the way, which he's "incredibly proud of" - but then, because some "wrangling" of the clips would need to be involved on miner's part, he "got left out of being a priority"? i get that miner had a deadline to meet and couldn't necessarily be bothered with harassing 15 different filmers for clips, but damn, doesn't element have some interns or something? to leave chris out of the video for that seems short-sighted.

he could easily be bitter about it, but it seems like he respects miner's decision.

By the way, congrats on the video part. I'm sure you're happy with the response.

Dude, thank you. I'm still getting comments. It trips me out. I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a non-cheesy way to thank everybody. But seriously, I'm really, really grateful that Jon took his time to cut up all my footage because it definitely had to have been a challenge. And the fact that he could add his two cents to it, with a Ray Barbee song, or get to do what he thought was best for me without having filmed the majority of it means a lot to me. Because straight up—he didn’t have to do that. He’s made some of the best videos ever.

Dude’s a legend.

He hit me up while he was close to being done with PEACE and he told me he was so underwater with editing and he apologized for kinda being distant because of it. He explained the plan to have a solo part once he could sort out my footage, and watching my part now, I'm just now realizing what he was talking about. The long lines, the weird interactions with people and stuff. I get it now.

PEACE was like three-to-four years in the making but Miner came in the last year, right?

Yeah, I think you’re right. I like to think I have a good memory, at least when it comes to skating. It kinda made me feel old, like, holy fuck this has been a long project when you forget clips you filmed that you were really proud of. Like that line I filmed with Mark Stewart with the Cab back lip, it was so cool to see that clip. I remember Julian was there and he definitely inspired me to do that trick.

what's also kind of strange is that after his part dropped, you would think element would be putting him on the fast-track to pro - sending him out with their filmers, getting him on trips, maybe a little more cash, etc. but instead, he just got a job at a warehouse. he seems stoked on it, however, and seems to enjoy the skate/work balance.

So what's next, bud? Obviously you’re not gonna stop skating, but you just got a job, right?

I did! I just finished my fourth day at my new job. I work in a warehouse helping them organize things—no customer service or anything. No kissing people’s feet, which is nice. I'm just organizing liquor, soft drinks, helping out at the pool bar, basically trying to be versatile so I can maintain a consistent work schedule but continue to skate full time. It's good. It seems realistic because they have so many employees that they’re not gonna miss me if I say I wanna leave for a couple weeks. I just need to let them know enough in advance.

That's cool.

I'm gonna go to Wintercount next month and then stop at Bust or Bail in Phoenix and they were, like, “Yeah that totally fine; just let us know.” It makes me happy to work and having some extra money coming in never hurts, because I've kinda just been breaking even with skating and having just turned 28 that's not the best feeling.

No, I imagine not.

Being that there's probably millions of people in my position, but I just know I can do better and I’m on that path. More or less I gotta keep my savings up, I gotta pay taxes soon with April approaching and hopefully build on it. I missed that balance of work and skating like I had when I was working at the coffee shop. It makes you really appreciate your days off. I'm almost done with school too. I've been balancing skating and school mostly and not working, which has been great. I have time to do both but I have two classes left before I finish my associates degree, so I’d like to find a job before that ends rather than have to look for one after.

So what about skating? You’re not banking on any of these things to work out?

As far as skating goes I couldn’t be happier to still be doing it almost every day. I mean, I do skate every day, but to be filming and trying something I go out like five days a week. I get two days of rest, mentally and psychically, and I've been skating with a lot of inspiring people like the New Balance guys. It's for sure the little things in my life, like spending time with people before and after a session. Because when you're skating a spot you don’t always have the time to catch up with them, you just get to see them try something. But as far as projects, I'm working on an Independent part. Rhino asked me a little while ago to work on something and I think he’s the best and I'm honored to have a part come out with Indy. That's the best thing I can give them, I think.