Author Topic: Does the UK skate scene have any impact?  (Read 14698 times)

ClownOfTheDay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
Re: Does the UK skate scene have any impact?
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2020, 05:25:26 AM »
Aren't half of Flips team from the UK same with Tom Penny? Yeah I'd say so.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -2
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2020, 07:29:51 AM »
Same questions asked in every industry right ?

It’s hard to think anyone else is important when you’re the centre of the map.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2020, 07:33:08 AM »

I would say their biggest impact was industrialization and music. Maybe I'm dumb.

GershonSweaty

• @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I would say their biggest impact was industrialization and music. Maybe I'm dumb.

Imperialism is the biggest impact I guess, applying defined class structures. But that’s Britain, “Great Britain”

Scotland’s impact however is far far more positive and useful.

AssFlea

• Rep: -30
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2020, 08:49:14 PM »
I feel like its just an extension of east coast styles. Basically you got people skating school yards and stuff then you got real street skaters who go all star trek
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2020, 02:19:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Imperialism is the biggest impact I guess, applying defined class structures. But that’s Britain, “Great Britain”

When i think of somewhere like Australia, defined class structures, other than those due to economic circumstance, isn't the first thing that comes to mind. The reason for the British empire's greater breadth and legacy than say the Russian, Spanish, French, Ottoman empires is multi-faceted, but the establishment of a stable rule of law, and the adoption of free trade as a policy certainly helped Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA to rise to non-European developed nation status. Protestantism may be less attached to dogma, and more open to new ideas than Catholicism. And the English language has a lyricism, i.e. a,e,i,o,u, not found in Welsh say, which made it ideal for the spread of pop music around the nations that spoke it.

And Dwindle is run by Steve Douglas and Bod Boyle. Is Skin Phillips, ex-Transworld, still with Adidas?

freeclout

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2020, 02:24:41 AM »
Here's UK skater Alex Halford doing something utterly ridiculous in a full pipe. Made an impact on me!

TD

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2020, 02:35:20 AM »
Ever seen Fred Gall and Tom Penny in the same room? Thought not.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2020, 03:08:48 AM »
Ever seen Fred Gall and Tom Penny in the same room? Thought not.

Fred Penny & Tom Gall

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2020, 03:38:07 AM »
Jordan Thackery is my favorite UK skater
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

jonnysheen

• Rep: -66
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2020, 04:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

When i think of somewhere like Australia, defined class structures, other than those due to economic circumstance, isn't the first thing that comes to mind. The reason for the British empire's greater breadth and legacy than say the Russian, Spanish, French, Ottoman empires is multi-faceted, but the establishment of a stable rule of law, and the adoption of free trade as a policy certainly helped Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the USA to rise to non-European developed nation status. Protestantism may be less attached to dogma, and more open to new ideas than Catholicism. And the English language has a lyricism, i.e. a,e,i,o,u, not found in Welsh say, which made it ideal for the spread of pop music around the nations that spoke it.

And Dwindle is run by Steve Douglas and Bod Boyle. Is Skin Phillips, ex-Transworld, still with Adidas?

Really?  when did this happen?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2020, 04:40:59 AM »
Here's UK skater Alex Halford doing something utterly ridiculous in a full pipe. Made an impact on me!

if you're into shit like that follow hanguponline on insta

there are no words for how fucked that quarter is

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2020, 05:45:46 AM »
is there any high quality photo of Danny Wainwirghts highest ollie from the competition online somewhere? that image is engraved in my memory, but I'd love to see it again

squintharder

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2020, 07:16:39 AM »
Do you have any impact?

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »
The most influential impact would be the change in the ratio of tobacco to weed rolled in the average US skater's spliff.   It's well documented.

PL0P

• Rep: 11
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
You mean aside from Atlantic drift and Palace?

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2020, 09:33:27 AM »
The most influential impact would be the change in the ratio of tobacco to weed rolled in the average US skater's spliff.   It's well documented.

As an American I believe sprinkling a little tobacco on the herb is like peppering a steak. Any more tobacco than 8 parts weed 1 part tobacco is disgusting.

Just enough to help it burn evenly, not enough for a nic buzz.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 09:36:15 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

AssFlea

« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2020, 10:33:15 PM »
Mouly had a major impact. There was this kid doing the same style on the other side of the pond in was blown away.

So powerful so original. Little ed little sheffey and i see like Hensley and Barbie. Tom but i liked alex better
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2020, 05:01:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As an American I believe sprinkling a little tobacco on the herb is like peppering a steak. Any more tobacco than 8 parts weed 1 part tobacco is disgusting.

Just enough to help it burn evenly, not enough for a nic buzz.
Is this due to scarcity (compared to how easy it is to find in North America)? They do about 50/50 there from what I've seen, basically smoking rolled up poppers.

AssFlea

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:23 AM »
Tom Knox knocked Tom Penny with a rock during the most boring interview I've ever watched
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 25
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »
is there any high quality photo of Danny Wainwirghts highest ollie from the competition online somewhere? that image is engraved in my memory, but I'd love to see it again

AssFlea

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2020, 10:16:57 AM »
Uk freestyle is kinda important to me
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2020, 01:23:59 PM »
This part from Korahn Gayle got me hyped to check out more London street skating. The part is so good and Korahn has such good style.

Also I added the Tom Knox line because this was the first clip I ever saw of him, and I literally watched it 10 times in a row. One of the coolest lines I've ever seen.

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
The UK scene is a further extension of East Coast. Like NYC, Jersey, Philly and London. I was at South Bank in ‘01 and the vibe was ill, LOVE, Astor Cube, downtown, same deal. They were up on all the ill shit. Simon Evans, Channer, Baines, Wainwright, legends. Danny Brady is soo sick. Them UK lads kill shit!

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2020, 03:02:59 AM »
I like watching skating from the UK. Their weather is even worse than our's in Germany and their spots are worse too. I like how they make use of these conditions. I also like the look and the music of british skate videos. I feel videos from the UK have their own style.

Also, if you have seen some of the better known british spots in person you know how amazing some of their talents really are.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2020, 03:27:38 AM »
 :-\
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Everything looks so wet, old and usually protected by security.

I love having baseless American pride but take our finest dudes and their 56+mm wheels and we still would struggle on most of that terrain. I'm compelled to give props.

From Penny to Rowley to D. Brady and Blondie, UK done put in work.

Edit
I'd like to see Austrailia scene get theirs in 2019

[close]

Funny you mention Australia, with the exception of a few big guys- Penny, Rowley, Rattray etc I would say Australia  is much more visible in skating in having a broad range of famous skaters, brands,  prolific spots etc than in the UK. I'm Australian however so my view Probably skewed
[close]

outside of passport what is another australian company that people outside of australia actually care about or has any sort of relevancy?
[close]

butter goods?

PRIVATE JOY
listen to cosmic psychos

lou dawg

• Rep: -1
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2020, 05:47:22 AM »

http://www.blastskates.com/

This stuff makes an impact on me.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »
Yea Blast Skates rules. Such a cool crew of shredders

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
Expand Quote
the answer is no. no disrespect but nobody really gives a shit. blueprint was dope as fuck and the palace videos are cool so of course you got skatepark kids dressing like the backstreet boys but other than that no.

free max b
[close]

'no disrespect' my ass, dude I'll tell it to you how it is. I know you're trying to be some kind of entertainer on here and I generally like your shtick but I seriously despise the part of it that has you consistently spout ignorant bullshit about European skating or really anything that's not from the U.S. and preferably the East coast. Maybe you don't even mean to, or you just lack the hindsight, think you're just being witty as usual, or you don't realize you're doing it, but you are, and that part is terrible looks from a self-proclaimed NYC representative and here's why; I always assumed growing up in the area popularly regarded as one of the hotbeds of (ironically, western) culture had to make one appreciative of, or at least remotely receptive to other people's local cultures, historical achievements and productions; yet as soon as something skate-related but foreign gets brought up on here you suddenly start sounding like all you ever learned in NYC was how to raid the local vernissages for free Saint Archer, it's fucked man.

Rest of your posts demonstrates you're better than that so it's such a weird contrast; whenever anything out of your little spectrum gets brought up - yet you still feel compelled to post because you can - you suddenly go from Pine Barrens funny to preteen scooter kid thinking they're Pine Barrens funny scribbling 'frei Maks Bee' onto their local fly out obstacle or shitty loading dock funny and I don't think you realize it. You probably don't really give a shit and I can't blame anyone for not knowing history that's not local to them... Until they think they're entitled to drop idiotic statements like that. This isn't the first time I've seen you do this, in my own threads even so sorry but at this point I feel like I have to be that guy and chime in.

I care as a European, non-UK fellow skateboarder because although you're saying you mean 'no disrespect', posts like this really are an insult to the efforts of some of the most passionate activists I've ever seen who've been working the hardest I've ever seen in skateboarding for 30+ years to put their country on the map, which they most definitely did as soon as the Death Box days. I don't give a shit if your excuse is you're 'trolling', I'm putting this out there for the principle. I think the scene in my own country is complete shit compared to how the UK scene runs their shit, all the while putting in the most effort when it comes to keeping things as real as possible despite the current state of the market, you're talking about people devoting their lives to skateboarding with ethics and in actuality they did have a fucking impact on the global scene since the early nineties, they were maybe the first alternative to the US media, industry and skating to ever rise and have had their mark instilled on the culture forever so I don't know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either. Growing up skating roads that make NYC diamond plate feel like skatepark ground makes for thousands of lifers. It's rad that you were into Hope Sandoval singing to Toby Shuall once and currently are into Palace track pants but fuck, sometimes I wish the culture weren't as fragmented when I see all the timeless global skating, names, history and information that keep failing to get across the geographical borders still, despite the present Internet age which has the pros of rendering most everything ever produced worldwide somewhat available under some form, yet retains the cons of relying on the user's ability to know exactly what to search in order to find the real good shit as opposed to just being subjected to shitty ads.

TLDR - the UK skating scene rules, has had one of the earliest and biggest impact on the global scene out of any other European country, and culture getting lost in translation is a bitch

Edit - hours later I forgot I even wrote this, sorry for overreacting, it just always fucking gets me to see someone who's obviously super into skating and should know better claim shit that's just wrong, was weak for getting riled up though sorry

I think you need chill and just drink a beer or nice a cocktail from time to time. With that being said:

Palace invests in track suits. Confirmed

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2020, 02:37:59 PM »
All I know is that I usually don't understand a lot of British humor.