Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4902075 times)

420beers and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

JusticeAbberdash

Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #17880 on: February 27, 2018, 07:29:49 AM »
Need a bigger picture.

B. Hopper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #17881 on: February 28, 2018, 09:43:51 AM »
New deck I picked up yesterday.I have another setup almost identical in shape but bigger: 8.75" on Indy 159s, with 58mm Bones wheels. I LOVE that setup as an all arounder and the big wheels are super fun in the parks and streets when things get rough.

I'm big into manny/ledge skating too though and basically wanted all the comforts of my big board but in the size range of my "street" setup. I had this same setup on an Almost 8.25 Daewon deck which was fine. It did everything I wanted it to do, but I'm just not into the popsicle shape and I like having rails (they didn't seem to go with the Daewon).

So thanks to the likes of Welcome, I can basically have a small/street/tech (tech enough for me at 42) setup with the flavor of a killer shape and rails go perfect with it. This is the 8.5 Moontrimmer shape on Indy 149s with 52mm Spitfires. I'll probably go to the Son of Moontrimmer or similar next as I love an 8.25" on 149s but honestly the difference in width is really a non factor, I just love that we have the options for such things these days. It actually tapers to 8.25 anyway at the trucks.

Got in a few hours yesterday on it and I'm in love:

44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #17882 on: February 28, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »
New deck I picked up yesterday.I have another setup almost identical in shape but bigger: 8.75" on Indy 159s, with 58mm Bones wheels. I LOVE that setup as an all arounder and the big wheels are super fun in the parks and streets when things get rough.

I'm big into manny/ledge skating too though and basically wanted all the comforts of my big board but in the size range of my "street" setup. I had this same setup on an Almost 8.25 Daewon deck which was fine. It did everything I wanted it to do, but I'm just not into the popsicle shape and I like having rails (they didn't seem to go with the Daewon).

So thanks to the likes of Welcome, I can basically have a small/street/tech (tech enough for me at 42) setup with the flavor of a killer shape and rails go perfect with it. This is the 8.5 Moontrimmer shape on Indy 149s with 52mm Spitfires. I'll probably go to the Son of Moontrimmer or similar next as I love an 8.25" on 149s but honestly the difference in width is really a non factor, I just love that we have the options for such things these days. It actually tapers to 8.25 anyway at the trucks.

Got in a few hours yesterday on it and I'm in love:

Clean setup, serious White Stripes vibes.

B. Hopper

« Reply #17883 on: February 28, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »

[/quote]

Clean setup, serious White Stripes vibes.
[/quote]

It's an Alphonzo Rawls nod actually ;)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:38:27 AM by B. Hopper »
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 392
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #17884 on: February 28, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
B. Hopper's set-up post got me stoked to skate

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 563
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #17885 on: February 28, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
I'll probably go to the Son of Moontrimmer or similar next as I love an 8.25"

The way that shit tapers makes it feel like an 8, i really hated it

B. Hopper

« Reply #17886 on: February 28, 2018, 10:34:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yea, I might stay at this size for this shape. I skated it again today (2nd time) and it's not really an 8.5 other than the very middle of the board. For all intents and purposes it's an 8.25/8.3 anyway. Seriously, it's perfect. Hell, my 8.75 in basically the same shape; I have zero complaints about. This, being the same thing, but with the shorter length/wheelbase, lighter setup, and just plain looking sick is awesome.

B. Hopper

« Reply #17887 on: February 28, 2018, 10:45:15 PM »
Here's my "big" board..similar..almost the same shape..Indy 159s and Bones SPF 58s

calvinsdream

« Reply #17888 on: March 01, 2018, 12:26:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yea, I might stay at this size for this shape. I skated it again today (2nd time) and it's not really an 8.5 other than the very middle of the board. For all intents and purposes it's an 8.25/8.3 anyway. Seriously, it's perfect. Hell, my 8.75 in basically the same shape; I have zero complaints about. This, being the same thing, but with the shorter length/wheelbase, lighter setup, and just plain looking sick is awesome.

Seconded on the moontrimmer shape, although I haven’t skated the 2.0s. Perfect on 149s with a very comfortable nose. Tail felt small but it had a very comfortable pocket.

coreaf

• Rep: 23
  • sick
« Reply #17889 on: March 01, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
i'm on an 8.5+ kick. it's been raining for days here so i got bored and gripped my next deck in anticipation of a sunny weekend. here's my current and future ladies:

brainstorm 8.5ish (i think it's actually like 9/16 but who's counting)
ace 55s
55 mm formula 4s
bronson raws
mob grip
bender bolts

i prefer the conical full spitfires to these regular shaped ones, but i bought these for the pretty colors. have a set of conicals that i might swap back on when i set up this heroin board if i can work up enough ambition to swap the bearings out. deck is an 8.75.

wanted to try aces for a while but they're hard to find locally. finally found a pair at the block last time i was in jacksonville and i'm glad i did. went with the 55s over 44s because my indy 149s still have life in them so i figured i'd try a different size truck. basically these gave me an excuse to set up a bigger board.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #17890 on: March 02, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »

new - old

real brockel 8.5 mob grip
bones e. smith stf 52mm
bones reds, independent
149s with orange conical
aftermarkets with screws
from Diamond hardware.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17891 on: March 02, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »
There is salt and dirt everywhere, so I have been riding keyframes when streetskating and general cruising for the past month.
My friend gave me his old set of stage 10 169's, and I wanted to make something fun with them.
I was inspired by the egg shape, that was posted a few pages back.

I had a creature 8.88 with the 15" wheelbase. It is a fun deck, but I wanted to shorten the wheelbase, and chop the nose and tail into my own egg shape.

with an indy 6 hole baseplate, it was easy to take a wheelbase down 3/8" at a time. I just mounted two hardware on the nose side, and put the trucks on through the old school holes.
By taking 3/8" off the wheelbase on both sides, I'm down to my favorite wheelbase, 14.25".
Also, I don't feel bad about taking the wheelbases in on both nose and tail, because it creates more flat space between the truck and where the tail or nose concave start. The "finger room" I guess.

then I drilled the holes. It would be better to take the hanger off the baseplate for this, but it worked with it on.

I lined up the baker b16 nose and tail, with the new mounting holes, and chopped them off.

I sanded the edges a bit, and will use my buddies drum sander later to really make some nice edges. I think, I could shave a bit more off to make it more "eggy"

The trucks look like shit, but this board is for my stoke alone, and I am. I've never had 169's before, and it was cool of my friend to hook me up with them.

The board is solid, and has clean lubricated swiss. The keyframes are 54's and they rule.
I got a new set of bones hards in the trucks, to get rid of the wheel bind that stage 10's have (these are mark 1 stage 10's).
It's fun. I have been taking my dog on 5 mile walks, on some country roads, and am going to have him pull me on this thing a bit tomorrow. He has the power for it, I just hope I don't eat shit.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #17892 on: March 02, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »
^ sick project dude, +1.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

animalflesh

« Reply #17893 on: March 05, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »

Blast 9.25 egg
Deathwish rails (lol)
Gullwing pro 3 with the bushings cut down
1/4 riser
Mini logo wheels 55mm

Scram leaf
Santa Cruz rails
Gullwing shadow bushings cut
1/4 riser
Ricta wheels 55mm
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:27:37 AM by Thom »

patrick c.

• Rep: 25
« Reply #17894 on: March 06, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »
That Alien graphic is gorgeous furirusu.  Feel you on the back pain too.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Johnathon Henley

• Rep: 1
« Reply #17895 on: March 10, 2018, 12:21:55 PM »
Frog Hjalte -8.5
Indy raw - 149
Bones reds
Powell rails
Lance Mountain F4's

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #17896 on: March 11, 2018, 04:05:17 AM »

Skateboard Cafè 8.3
Film trucks 149mm
Haze Wheels 52mm Conical shape
random bearings
Ashes Griptape
Screwheads Hardware 1"

adidas slip on

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #17897 on: March 11, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »

Skateboard Cafè 8.3
Film trucks 149mm
random bearings
Ashes Griptape

Screwheads Hardware 1"

adidas slip on

How you compare film trucks to another truck brands?

I been curious for a long time, they just look like a mash-up between Indys + thunders.

Cool to see a eurobrands setup!

Little Debbie

« Reply #17898 on: March 11, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
sexy board right there

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -107
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #17899 on: March 11, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »

Real TwinTail 8.3 (31.9L, 14.4wb, 6.6 Tails)
Venture 5.8 V-Hollow Lights w/ Indy 94a cylinders & flat washers
Bones STF v1 54mm
Bones Super Reds
Theeve TiBolts
Jessup
NB# 533V2

First session in and I'm really hyped on this setup. I couldn't get jiggy with my last 8.25 5Boro cuz the wheelbase was a little too short. I could do shit but it was throwing my catches off. Then I was out for 2-3 weeks with a hot pocket in my right ankle and hurt it again a few days after thinking it was fully healed, so that took me out another 3 weeks and left me rusty & relearning all my basics again. This deck felt like home though and I almost feel like I didnt miss a beat. Might have to stick with these for a while. I love not thinking about whatever end I'm using when doing lines n whatnot.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #17900 on: March 11, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »

Bones STF v1 54mm
Bones Super Reds
Theeve TiBolts
Jessup
NB# 533V2

First session in and I'm really hyped on this setup. I couldn't get jiggy with my last 8.25 5Boro cuz the wheelbase was a little too short. I could do shit but it was throwing my catches off. Then I was out for 2-3 weeks with a hot pocket in my right ankle and hurt it again a few days after thinking it was fully healed, so that took me out another 3 weeks and left me rusty & relearning all my basics again. This deck felt like home though and I almost feel like I didnt miss a beat. Might have to stick with these for a while. I love not thinking about whatever end I'm using when doing lines n whatnot.

Nice! What about truck tightness? Do you make that symmetrical?

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #17901 on: March 11, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Bones STF v1 54mm
Bones Super Reds
Theeve TiBolts
Jessup
NB# 533V2

[close]

Yup, both trucks are set the same. I don’t even worry about the ends I just pick it up and skate it, it’s great

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #17902 on: March 11, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones STF v1 54mm
Bones Super Reds
Theeve TiBolts
Jessup
NB# 533V2

[close]

[close]

Yup, both trucks are set the same. I don’t even worry about the ends I just pick it up and skate it, it’s great

Thoughts on the ventures? Compared to indys thunders or aces

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #17903 on: March 11, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
Winter boredom and late night shopping brought me this:

Gravette 8.2
Thunder 148s
Thunder 100a bushings
STF V1 53mms
Bones super reds
Jessup
Diamond hardware

Hopefully this next week I can try it out!

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #17904 on: March 11, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones STF v1 54mm
Bones Super Reds
Theeve TiBolts
Jessup
NB# 533V2

[close]

[close]

[close]

Compared to Thunders they’re defintely more stable w/ less wheelbite and have more of a surfy turn than a sharp one. Doesn’t pop as quick as thunders but quicker than Indy’s. I like em.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #17905 on: March 11, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »

Gravette 8.2
Thunder 148s
Thunder 100a bushings
STF V1 53mms
Bones super reds
Jessup
Diamond hardware

Are you from Duncan? Or did you order that online

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #17906 on: March 12, 2018, 05:19:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones STF v1 54mm
Bones Super Reds
Theeve TiBolts
Jessup
NB# 533V2

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Compared to Thunders they’re defintely more stable w/ less wheelbite and have more of a surfy turn than a sharp one. Doesn’t pop as quick as thunders but quicker than Indy’s. I like em.
I've got the same Ventures on my 90's set up and they are solid, turn ok (not as good as Indy) but my gripe is they extend your wheel base. I like a short wheel base so it knocks them down a peg for me. All in all though I think more people should ride Venture.

mariomister

• Rep: 15
« Reply #17907 on: March 12, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »
Expand Quote

Skateboard Cafè 8.3
Film trucks 149mm
random bearings
Ashes Griptape

Screwheads Hardware 1"

adidas slip on
[close]

How you compare film trucks to another truck brands?

I been curious for a long time, they just look like a mash-up between Indys + thunders.

Cool to see a eurobrands setup!

They are great.i'm not a big fan of new trucks company,but those are great for sure!

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #17908 on: March 12, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
Expand Quote

Gravette 8.2
Thunder 148s
Thunder 100a bushings
STF V1 53mms
Bones super reds
Jessup
Diamond hardware

[close]

Nope! I ordered it, I'm over in alberta 8)

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #17909 on: March 12, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Gravette 8.2
Thunder 148s
Thunder 100a bushings
STF V1 53mms
Bones super reds
Jessup
Diamond hardware

[close]
[close]

Nope! I ordered it, I'm over in alberta 8)
Ah I got excited that maybe you were a new skater in town cause Duncan is a small place. Area 51 is legit though they are good people.