Author Topic: Marc Johnson interview in the new Thrasher  (Read 14057 times)

Hevonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
Re: Marc Johnson interview in the new Thrasher
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
Exhausting read. Pretty much the same stuff he's said in a bunch of other interviews

Are taxis not a thing in the u.s.? Seriously don't understand how a bunch of adults can't figure out how to get back to the hotel/airport before their team manager drives them there
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:32:19 PM by Hevonen »

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
I respect his skating skill but he’s such a self righteous prick which would be forgivable if he wasn’t such a bore. Who’s gonna read all that shit? Needs to get that chip off his shoulder and get the fuck away from skateboarding.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:15 PM »
Wait is it all old photos? Damn.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 06:25:27 PM »
Marc. For the love of God. Shut up and skate.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 06:30:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Marc Johnson Thrasher interview 2020 https://imgur.com/gallery/nFzefDs
[close]

Many thanks, I will remember you with ease as i love your sig...Is it Grace Kelly or Kim Novak?

Anyhoo when i become a pal you're getting that plus 1 with certainty.
Thank you! It's Grace Kelly from Rear Window
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1409
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
Well, this interview did one thing  - it made me research the ampersand ("&") more. I didn't discover any breathtaking revelations, just that ampersands are recommended by most style guides to be used in company names.

But - apparently when it comes to screenwriting, an ampersand is used between the names of two screenwriters in the credits if they worked on a screenplay as a team. However, if two or more screenwriters worked on the screenplay separately, at different times and different places, then their names are separated by an "and" in the credits. I think we can all agree that that's a neat factoid.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »
I’m gonna read this when I get my issue, but does he address why he’s put out next to no footage since his big move?

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -38
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
You know when big brother was calling Mike Vallely a washed up skater but he was still in his twenties. If they were still around MJ would be a good one call that.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2020, 07:17:40 PM »
He talks so much just so they have to make it 12 pages instead of 1. He smart
Kind of like you posting this four times. You must be smart.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 07:18:08 PM »
You know when big brother was calling Mike Vallely a washed up skater but he was still in his twenties. If they were still around MJ would be a good one call that.

MJ is 43 years old. What do you guys expect?

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2020, 07:20:34 PM »
I’m gonna read this when I get my issue, but does he address why he’s put out next to no footage since his big move?
Pretty Sweet came out in 2012, so I’m sure he’s sitting on at least 14 minutes of footage for the B&C promo.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
What exactly did MJ do to make Slap collectively hate him so much?

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:16 PM »
Basically his life fell apart in like 2013 and he lost his kid in a nasty legal battle for 6 years. I read it this morning and might have the year wrong, but he seems to be alright now. I like Marc and wish him nothing but the best.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
If you're going to waste 13 years of your skateboarding career, at least have an interesting story to tell.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2020, 08:06:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I definitely didn’t expect sequences of tricks that were in a video from 10 years ago. What kind of shit is that? Thrasher blew it.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:50 PM »
Well, this interview did one thing  - it made me research the ampersand ("&") more. I didn't discover any breathtaking revelations, just that ampersands are recommended by most style guides to be used in company names.

But - apparently when it comes to screenwriting, an ampersand is used between the names of two screenwriters in the credits if they worked on a screenplay as a team. However, if two or more screenwriters worked on the screenplay separately, at different times and different places, then their names are separated by an "and" in the credits. I think we can all agree that that's a neat factoid.
Interesting
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Tracersbrother

• Rep: -195
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
He talks so much just so they have to make it 12 pages instead of 1. He smart
[close]
Kind of like you posting this four times. You must be smart.

HoW ABOUT TO GO TO THAT GLORY HOLE THATS IN YOUR MOMS ROOM AND SUCK MY 2 INCH WEINER

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -38
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2020, 10:37:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I definitely didn’t expect sequences of tricks that were in a video from 10 years ago. What kind of shit is that? Thrasher blew it.
He could have still maintain legend status and keep pro status and sponsorship just doing low impact stuff. With his kookery he Darrell Stantoned himself.

Dr Dew

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2020, 10:45:52 PM »
Extremely fucking lame the way they are heavily pushing the “troubled genius”, “genius cannot exist without madness” narrative.

Lowkey harmful.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2020, 12:50:45 AM »
Exhausting read. Pretty much the same stuff he's said in a bunch of other interviews

Are taxis not a thing in the u.s.? Seriously don't understand how a bunch of adults can't figure out how to get back to the hotel/airport before their team manager drives them there
If you are on a tour driving through the USA a couple of things are at play. First, you may be 30 or more miles from your next stop, so it might be expensive or not easy to get a taxi. Two, you may not have checked into the hotel yet, and it is on someone else (likely the company's card). If you are doing a week long-trip where you are staying in one city, it is probably easy. But, when you are doing a cross-country one just hitting spots along the way and staying in roadside motel's, not so much.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 01:48:08 AM »
I feel really stupid now for letting this get my hopes up. Maybe my favourite skater really won't come back no more.

keihaes

• Rep: -21
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 03:45:46 AM »
I liked it. Even though it started with the old fully flared stuff, at least he told new stories about it and the legal battle shit was interesting to hear. Good that Marc faced himself and started dealing with his shit. Seems to be in a good place now.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 04:37:25 AM »
Wonder why he lost custody of his kid considering he'd been sober for years at that point.

Also wondering how much money he's spent on "professional" astrology and tarot readings. So fucking embarrassing.

you answered your own question

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 05:47:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Wonder why he lost custody of his kid considering he'd been sober for years at that point.

Also wondering how much money he's spent on "professional" astrology and tarot readings. So fucking embarrassing.
[close]

I think his relationship with alcohol is much more up-and-down than he's letting on. Given an addict's tendencies to downplay their substance problems, it's not a good sign when MJ says he "has a drink every now and than" immediately after saying he's sober. That "one drink" is probably more than a drink, and "every now and than" is probably more often than he realizes.

For the record, I'm rooting for MJ's recovery, and I don't want anyone to succumb to addiction. I just think he'd fare better out of the public eye and/or not propped up by the industry.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Nicki

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 06:25:46 AM »
I feel really stupid now for letting this get my hopes up. Maybe my favourite skater really won't come back no more.

You and me both. I’ve still got hope, but after that interview I really don’t know why. Should Thrasher even be printing that 10+ page ‘interview’ given Marc’s obviously unstable presentation. Sure, Marc’s an adult and all, but he is clearly still lost and this can’t have helped. As one of the most prolific 90s pros, I hope Marc has one last chill part in him. But it’s not looking good.

Or even just this part:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:27:50 AM by Nicki »

FROTHY

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 07:24:56 AM »
That whole thing felt 10 years old. Also, maybe Crail's purportedly poor treatment of Marc was somehow linked to the fact that he was admittedly a binge-drinking, checked-out asshole.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2020, 07:25:51 AM »
"There are people who literally dropped out, like Danny Garcia. I think Danny got a taste of it when it got intense and just fucking left. And I fucking respect him for that. He was just like, I’m not into this. Goodbye."

Danny Garcia is my spirit animal

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I think his relationship with alcohol is much more up-and-down than he's letting on. Given an addict's tendencies to downplay their substance problems, it's not a good sign when MJ says he "has a drink every now and than" immediately after saying he's sober. That "one drink" is probably more than a drink, and "every now and than" is probably more often than he realizes.

For the record, I'm rooting for MJ's recovery, and I don't want anyone to succumb to addiction. I just think he'd fare better out of the public eye and/or not propped up by the industry.
Also, drunk or sober, he seems to have been in some sort of a manic state for a long time now

Rick_Kane

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2020, 07:51:26 AM »
What exactly did MJ do to make Slap collectively hate him so much?

Anyone???

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 102
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »