Author Topic: Marc Johnson interview in the new Thrasher  (Read 14056 times)

Yu Dum

Re: Marc Johnson interview in the new Thrasher
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »
Expand Quote
What exactly did MJ do to make Slap collectively hate him so much?
[close]

Anyone???
The whole "I'm a misunderstood genius" shtick and how things were handled when he left Lakai for Adidas, but didn't tell anyone rubbed people the wrong way.

Nicki

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:58 AM »
"There are people who literally dropped out, like Danny Garcia. I think Danny got a taste of it when it got intense and just fucking left. And I fucking respect him for that. He was just like, I’m not into this. Goodbye."

Danny Garcia is my spirit animal

That was the highlight of the interview, so rad.

shannamal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 357
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2020, 08:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone???

read the thread, you goddamn moron

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone???
[close]
The whole "I'm a misunderstood genius" shtick and how things were handled when he left Lakai for Adidas, but didn't tell anyone rubbed people the wrong way.

Brink knows the whole story guys dont worry

Rick_Kane

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2020, 09:01:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone???
[close]

Thanks

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone???
[close]

read the thread, you goddamn moron

Fuck you, kook

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone???
[close]

Also spoke at length in multiple interviews about how corporate shoe companies were the worst thing ever, then ditched his shoe sponsor without warning (who had been paying him despite little to no output) for a corporate shoe company. Claimed this was because he wasn’t able to pursue his “great ideas” at core sponsors but would be able to a corporate sponsor. 4 years on no sign of great ideas or increased output.

Doesn’t do seem to do anything but won’t go away.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »
^Not that I personally care particularly but that’s the answer to your question.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2020, 10:10:39 AM »
I love the fact that he consulted Bobby about the name of his company. It’s like if you’re going to start a new company you’re going to consult the person who is least likely to help you make money.

ShyLow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 11:03:23 AM »

Doesn’t do seem to do anything but won’t go away.

ballintoohard

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:05 AM »
any more screen caps than just that one page?

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
Bobby Puleo and Marc Johnson are two of my all time favs. The bit about Marc asking Bob is amazing.
I need a coffee

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2020, 12:04:37 PM »
Just looked on Marc Johnsons IG, says he is an Adidas Ambassador, yet I can’t see him on the team page anywhere?
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
Just looked on Marc Johnsons IG, says he is an Adidas Ambassador, yet I can’t see him on the team page anywhere?
The website is weird. If you view the desktop version, the whole team shows up. About 1/3 of the team is cut from the mobile site.

artskool

• Rep: 34
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
The most interesting thing about MJ is definitely his skateboarding.

Dr Dew

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The website is weird. If you view the desktop version, the whole team shows up. About 1/3 of the team is cut from the mobile site.

Marc Johnson could learn a thing or two about graceful degradation

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -49
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2020, 01:05:16 PM »
Skateboarding's Moby.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2372
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
Wow reading that and thinking of having to hear it in his voice made me mad. Literally no one gives a fuck about what happened during Fully Flared.

I get that he has substance abuse issues and possible mental health issues and I am sensitive to that and I hope he gets better. But at what point is all those issues and at what point are you just a piece of shit?

Also how do you lose your dog in a custody battle over your son?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Anyone???
[close]
I do find his rants annoying. But, I hold no ill-will over how he left Lakai. If they weren't living up to their contract, and just wanted him to stay because they needed to drop his product one last time as a favor, when Adidas is offering him money right away, he should take it. If he was the only person who left Crail in that time frame fine, but we saw a massive exodus which showed there were problems. It seemed like Crailtap was asking unreasonable things from people to try to hold together a rapidly failing business under the guise of friendship. Neither side in that situation was 100% right or wrong.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
Good on Burnett for acting as Marc’s therapist. Maybe he has some good ideas or intentions but he just incoherently rambles with sentence fragments, and it makes this very hard to read. Not to mention its funny having a twelve page interview with only one new photo (and its not even a “real” spot)

Frustrating seeing him dismiss just about every question in this without properly answering it. (the Crailtap fallout?? adidas? who is on the team? his self righteousness (“I did that first”). For talking about spirituality, meditation and philosophy, he sure sounds like a childish idiot at 43.

“one of the projects that I wanna do — found a foundation that sells artwork done by kids who are in orphanages”                  …like come on.

I could see the Dill praise coming because Marc really feels like the aspiring Dill. Used to be a fan of his but this interview was a slog and a headache. Burnett and Thrasher tried to give him a platform to clear the air on a number of things and he just rambled on and on with no coherent answers.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2020, 02:11:54 PM »
The whole bit at the end of how much he loves what Dill did with FA struck me.

Dill..
- was not as good a skater as MJ was, and much less productive
- is even less intelligible than MJ when he gets his mouth going
- was on harder drugs than MJ (though i guess some might argue alcohol can be worse than hard drugs)
- never ran a company in the past to the degree MJ did with enjoi
- has a questionable "artistic" approach to graphics/merch

and yet...

hard not to detect some jealousy there. Though i think it's ultimately just another reflection of how improbable the rise of FA is/was.

I wouldn't say the rise of FA was improbable. Maybe to an outsider, but Dill was working on small collections for the brand since the mid/late 2000's.
Above all, he has a strong vision for the brand, which Marc does not (unless you consider his little video skits for Business & Co effective).

Dill's proximity to Supreme for a number of years shows and he definitely took a lot of lessons from them on how to brand, sell and market a company.
A number of people have said it before, but Dill/AVE leaving Alien and starting FA/Hockey really set the precedent for all of the new era of micro-board brands we've seen over the last decade.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
The whole bit at the end of how much he loves what Dill did with FA struck me.

Dill..
- was not as good a skater as MJ was, and much less productive
- is even less intelligible than MJ when he gets his mouth going
- was on harder drugs than MJ (though i guess some might argue alcohol can be worse than hard drugs)
- never ran a company in the past to the degree MJ did with enjoi
- has a questionable "artistic" approach to graphics/merch

and yet...

hard not to detect some jealousy there. Though i think it's ultimately just another reflection of how improbable the rise of FA is/was.
[close]

I wouldn't say the rise of FA was improbable. Maybe to an outsider, but Dill was working on small collections for the brand since the mid/late 2000's.
Above all, he has a strong vision for the brand, which Marc does not (unless you consider his little video skits for Business & Co effective).

Dill's proximity to Supreme for a number of years shows and he definitely took a lot of lessons from them on how to brand, sell and market a company.
A number of people have said it before, but Dill/AVE leaving Alien and starting FA/Hockey really set the precedent for all of the new era of micro-board brands we've seen over the last decade.
I'm not sure Dill learned from Supreme as much as his connection to it made the brand immediately successful. Pretty much all his riders were prominently featured in Cherry, combined with Ave still dropping a pretty heavy amount of footage shortly after the brand was formed.

one-off

• Rep: 109
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2020, 05:16:42 PM »
When MJ says goodbye horses, it’s one loooong goodbye

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 57
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2020, 06:01:51 PM »
Dude needs to shut up and skate. And stop acting like a loser. Cause he could fuckin kill it yet he's basically pissing away the chance for his skating/legacy to age gracefully.

Instead he's trying every other avenue to escape the fact that skating is all he has to do.

Nicki

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2020, 08:36:43 PM »
Wow reading that and thinking of having to hear it in his voice made me mad. Literally no one gives a fuck about what happened during Fully Flared.

I get that he has substance abuse issues and possible mental health issues and I am sensitive to that and I hope he gets better. But at what point is all those issues and at what point are you just a piece of shit?

Also how do you lose your dog in a custody battle over your son?

Before 12 page interview vs after 12 page interview.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote
I feel really stupid now for letting this get my hopes up. Maybe my favourite skater really won't come back no more.
[close]

You and me both. I’ve still got hope, but after that interview I really don’t know why. Should Thrasher even be printing that 10+ page ‘interview’ given Marc’s obviously unstable presentation. Sure, Marc’s an adult and all, but he is clearly still lost and this can’t have helped. As one of the most prolific 90s pros, I hope Marc has one last chill part in him. But it’s not looking good.

Or even just this part:

I just realised I’m in an abusive relationship with MJ and am probably not the only one.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31:37 AM »
any more screen caps than just that one page?
Go back to page 1, I dropped an Imgur link of the entire interview
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2020, 06:43:27 AM »
Seems very TLDR, anything noteworthy?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 669
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2020, 08:26:32 AM »
What skater would you want to see paired with MJ in a My Dinner With Andre-esque movie? Jerry Hsu probably?

I love that photo of him looking like Harvey Keitel's character in Taxi Driver, thanks for posting the interview

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 669
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2020, 08:36:41 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2020, 08:47:20 AM »
The most interesting thing about MJ is definitely his skateboarding.

Yet magazines continue to act like his opinions are interesting too, despite all proof to the contrary.