Author Topic: How can skateboarders golf?  (Read 11931 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
Re: How can skateboarders golf?
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2020, 05:55:15 PM »
In many ways golf is chill... drink beers outdoors while smashing balls with clubs.
Also it’s a good way to hate yourself.
I legit am stoked if I get legit pars but I sorta stopped playing because to me five hours of golf is almost the price of a deck or other skate shit that I would rather buy. If I get invited I’ll go but rarely will I suggest playing a round

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1410
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2020, 06:18:30 PM »
I didn’t read any of this thread, but I guess if a skateboarder wanted to golf they would probably need golf clubs and a golf ball. I hope this was helpful.

You need a ball?

That's news to me. I've just been going to the course and swinging my club beside other golfers in the hope that they'll invite me to their game.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »
I grew up caddying for my grandpa as he was a sponsored golfer who competed with pros. I understand the feeling of culture clash but honestly a lot of those older conservative ass dudes were always interested in skating and the culture surrounding it. Also golf is fun as hell if you do it right. Even just a good day at the driving range can feel similar to landing a new trick.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2020, 02:02:36 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but these are the only golfers I can think of. Does Mike Mo count? His story doesn’t help make golfing seem worth it. Either way it’s definitely not a cast of people that I’d wanna associate with. I’m sure any activity is more fun if you have your homies with you.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2020, 05:46:28 AM »
Please keep a class act like Mr. John Daily out of such bad company

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2020, 08:38:04 AM »
Lots of skaters buy into the myth that skating makes you exceptional. No. We are as bad as the rest, or they are mostly as good as us.

sketchyrider

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
no strong opinion either way but slap cracks me up

you guys will rip a pro to shreds for like, being on zero or something, but then golf gets a pass

bradtheraddad

• Rep: 27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »
What if the question was flipped?

I ask, because, I know a great kid (over half my age) who is a golf prodigy, wins tournaments and earns thousands just off of golf. Picked up a skateboard a few years ago and RIPS! We talk about the "current" climate of skateboarding & fashion, he admits it's sometimes hard to tell who is a skateboarder even at skateparks because some are dressed in nice polos/khakis/nikes, etc. so he doesn't even get a double take when he shows up straight from the course. He's insightful and aware of history and even admits he probably wouldn't have been into skateboarding had this been 10-20 years ago when skating wasn't so mainstream and inclusive.

I guess to get to my point, I'm sure there were golfers at the club asking, "how can golfers skateboard?" knowing the physical risks skateboarding entails. Not to mention the snobbery of some of the golfers who think (like some skateboarders do) that, "their sport" makes them an exceptional individual. What they both have in common 'tho is, both take a lot of time, commitment and heart to keep at & enjoy (and both can be done solo but likely more enjoyable with friends).

Admission: Not a golfer by any means but I do love some driving range (especially top golf) time! Also, due to the pandemic, I've found yet another fun outlet with taking my sons out for disc golf (since they don't skate). Enjoy whatever makes you happy/keeps you sane as long as you're not hurting others.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
Focus your account
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »
Obligatory "maaaan, what happened to slap, it used to be COOL now it's pooosey" type post
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Gritty

• Rep: 2
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2020, 03:23:35 PM »
Golf is fun as fuck. It requires a similar style of patience as skateboarding with a ridiculous learning curve. I don't care about the stereotypical golf guy, I'm slammin brews on the green lookin grizzled as shit. Why do I gotta concern myself with the next man to play a sport I can just do with my buddy?

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »
Please tell me there are people on Slap that have a quiver of golf club sets. The gear scene is kinda similar with shoes, hats, clubs and grips etc.
Skateboarding seems cooler but I do see preppy kids skate more now even if it’s just a penny board.
I get asked to golf way more than I get asked to skate. I golf probably once every 3 years and get around a 45 on 9holes which basically means that I don’t hold up the game. Topgolf is chill, I forgot that I went to a bachelor party there with like 20 dudes and I was sober they all got shitfaced, I ended up golfing the best and won a bunch of money. Can’t see putting a lot of time into it tho, I’d rather walk in the woods or skate.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2020, 09:32:42 PM »
Some of you sound like proper shit eaters full on bottom feeding cunts. But maybe you think that of me so we’re cool. In my minds eye I eat a bit higher up that chain but I don’t judge cunts for it. I’m drunk as usual but what I’m trying to say is don’t become what you hate the most. Just cause some old cunt on his way back from the course called you a degenerate does not mean all golfers are fuckwits. It’s similar to how kids blow spots out and suddenly everyone’s a fuckwit and I get kicked out. Just be nice and respectful of others in general and you will be fucking surprised how good life gets. Smh
Maybe some are just destined to be toxic cunts. That also goes for the fat cat golfers that hurt you guys in the first place. And you
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Skating is probably the closest sport related to golf. You're with your buddies, in a crew, driving around in a golf cart (skate van)and shooting the shit and drinking beers/smoking and having a great time. You get to different holes (spots) and collectively agree on your strong suits for that hole. Club selection is the same as trick selection, different clubs will work better for different golfers, just like different tricks from different skaters at the same spot is a thing. You try your best at every hole (spot) and some guys come out on top. At the end of the day someone may have done better than the rest, but it was all about enjoying the day with your friends and making memories.
[close]

You got a group of dudes dunking their dimpled balls in a little wet box.  Everyone takes a turn whackin’ it and the others stare in silence so the one guy can concentrate...

Everyone is nearly blackout drunk.  You’re constantly trying to navigate between dog legs.  You pay some dude to hang out and whisper suggestions into your ear and tell you that you’re doing great.  You’re constantly clutching your shaft with two hands hoping something good is about to happen.

Sounds like my honeymoon!

Radrat confirmed
Sorry but I watch his videos. This is him
listen to cosmic psychos

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
Same as non skaters, you hit the ball with the club. If you're wondering how to swing the club while carrying your board, you could leave your board at the clubhouse, or in your car maybe? I wouldn't recommend trying to use your board as a club
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2020, 09:49:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Skating is probably the closest sport related to golf. You're with your buddies, in a crew, driving around in a golf cart (skate van)and shooting the shit and drinking beers/smoking and having a great time. You get to different holes (spots) and collectively agree on your strong suits for that hole. Club selection is the same as trick selection, different clubs will work better for different golfers, just like different tricks from different skaters at the same spot is a thing. You try your best at every hole (spot) and some guys come out on top. At the end of the day someone may have done better than the rest, but it was all about enjoying the day with your friends and making memories.
[close]

You got a group of dudes dunking their dimpled balls in a little wet box.  Everyone takes a turn whackin’ it and the others stare in silence so the one guy can concentrate...

Everyone is nearly blackout drunk.  You’re constantly trying to navigate between dog legs.  You pay some dude to hang out and whisper suggestions into your ear and tell you that you’re doing great.  You’re constantly clutching your shaft with two hands hoping something good is about to happen.

Sounds like my honeymoon!

I just spit out my Arnold Palmer from laughing so hard!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2020, 02:11:31 AM »

Hombreezy

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2020, 04:01:21 AM »
*how can skateboarders be on tik tok? Making tik toks is like the antithesis of skateboarding

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2020, 04:26:16 AM »
I have some clubs, but I haven't played in a very long time. at some point in my late 20's, I remember being on a course, probably the third hole, and hitting my drive and then looking at the blue sky and seeing how beautiful a day it was. Then I just said to myself, "what the fuck are you doing chasing this ball around?" Drove back to the clubhouse, got in my car and left. Haven't really felt any urge to play since then. I have friends that play (one is an absolute ripper of a skater, and is equally good at playing golf) and they ask me to come out and I always say, "ah yeah, maybe!" but I never do.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2020, 05:49:31 AM »
Nailing a near 40-foot putt with a 4 iron on a head full of mushrooms was one of most satisfying feelings I’ve ever had.

I suck at golf but it’s a lot of fun, I try to play a few times every summer.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2020, 06:22:53 AM »
*how can skateboarders be on tik tok? Making tik toks is like the antithesis of skateboarding
right! That should be it’s own thread.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -239
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »
sorry dogs, golf is by far the wackest shit out. destroy every environmental abortion that is a golf course and turn them into forests and parks.

allucanfree4all

• Rep: 3
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2020, 07:08:08 AM »
Golf would be way radder if it was performed in public spaces, like skateboarding. Arguably one of the best things about skateboarding.

Golfing without the risk of beaming a pedestrian is easy mode

Cue gritty east-coast vs primo west-coast golf spot debate

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2020, 07:17:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Disc golf is the answer, no matter the question.

The natural, free courses are low impact, no douchy attire rules, cheap to do, and can just as easily get drunk and swear all you want when you go in the rough as ‘regular’ golf.
[close]

My best friend and I went through a disc golf phase. It usually started with smoking the ganja in the car, then 3 rounds of disc golf, followed up by our victory Slushee at 7-11. Good times

Disc Golf is the answer. There's tons of free public courses as you mentioned. Just buy yourself a few discs for about $20 bucks.

You walk around beautiful parks, get some light exercise, and can take it as serious as you want.

I used to chugs beers and chain smoke while playing...I quit smoking...but you can definitely imbibe a good deal if you want

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2020, 08:28:02 AM »
I see golf as something very similar to skateboarding. It's a very personal battle and you're constantly tweaking your technique because of personal fuck ups. I understand how to kick flip, yet I can't land every single one I try despite being fairly competent on a skateboard. I see people battle themselves with golf in the same way. knowing what to do, then having to constantly practice to maintain consistency. It's not that cool of a sport in my opinion but I look lame as fuck skateboarding too. I'm too tall and goofy looking. I think golfing and skateboarding are very personal sports where competition is generally looked at second, not first when practicing. At least that's how I see it.

100% THIS.  As skateboarders, we're ok with the fact of trying something 1000 times, to land it once and get that feeling of accomplishment.  Same with golf.  You hit a ball 100s of times, and if you make one good shot, it keeps you coming back.  I think skaters tend to move into more personal sports as we get older and more injured.  I also go fishing fish a lot and it's the same premise.  You, an object, and trying something time and time again, just for that one time that gives you that feeling of doing something you previously haven't done.  And every time you try it, the conditions are totally different and you have to adapt. It's rarely ever the same.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

conqueso

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2020, 08:54:12 AM »
golf culture is pretty repulsive, probably way worse than skating when you factor in that it is more or less a networking tool for rich people. If im going to be drinking ill take darts or pool instead of standing in the blaring sun for 4+ hours

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
Expand Quote
In my experience golf courses and country clubs are populated by the kind of people who despise skateboarding, its culture, and lifestyle. Conversely much of what skate culture mocks is celebrated in that "world".

I'm always puzzled and disappointed when I learn that great skateboarders enjoy that scene (esp Crailtap camp).How do the former EMB/venice pit crews tolerate spending all that time assimilating with the douchy republican BMW crowd?

The actual sport itself doesn't bother me though I find it pretty awful from an environmental and urban use standpoint.
[close]

Public courses exist. 
Liberals can drive nice cars. 
Golf is physically low impact.
What else do 40+ year olds do as a hobby

I don’t disagree with the environmental issues you mentioned and don’t quite get how obsessive people get about it, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve considered getting into it

I mean, I am 44 and I:
Skate
Surf
Snowboard
Run
Mountain Bike

Fuck golf. We have a massive housing crisis and people want to stroll along private (you can call them public all you like, my local park doesnt cost me $85 to walk around) heavily manicured/fabricated places with an exorbitant cost-to-entry activity where we could build housing for working class and poor people?

fuck that shit. Launch all golf-related-anything into the fucking sun. Any pro skater etc that demos that all over their social media is a kook.
ok thanks

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2020, 09:15:30 AM »
Everyone is all worried about the environment until the next tree is cut to make their next wall hanger deck.....
Proverbs 27:17

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »
sorry dogs, golf is by far the wackest shit out. destroy every environmental abortion that is a golf course and turn them into forests and parks.
i wonder if there’s a way to make environmentally safe exopy for boards.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:28:42 PM by Youoverthere »