Author Topic: How can skateboarders golf?  (Read 11935 times)

rusty knees

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
  • I had a photo in SLAP
Re: How can skateboarders golf?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »
you've obviously never sunk a 20ft putt with a 10 iron on the last hole while wearing construction boots. golf is not what you think it is.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:13:09 AM by rusty knees »

mushroom slice

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 08:44:43 AM »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 08:59:54 AM »
Also.. have you guys seen Caddyshack? That's not just a movie, its a lifestyle

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 09:01:06 AM »
are skaters of interests outside of skating?

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 09:24:12 AM »
whoever started this thread has to be a suburban 12 year old
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
people can play golf for the pure enjoyment in it the same way we skateboard for the fun of it. Its not a terribly hard concept to break down

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 09:27:48 AM »
I like to golf, but if its a nice day, I would rather go cycling or spend time with my family. It takes so much time and there is no substantial exercise benefit, even if you walk the course.

Malcom Gladwell makes some really good points in this podcast.

gonzSOI

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
should ask Drake Jones or Joey Bast

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2020, 09:33:15 AM »
For a lot of people it’s just another excuse to go somewhere with your friends and get legally drunk.

I’ve never played a round of golf but I got hammered at a PGA tour event, they had a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville which I made my personal headquarters for the day.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:38 AM »
I played golf with Nate Jones, Joey Pepper and Elissa Steamer onetime. Pretty good squad. I also worked at a super nice course for a couple years and can confirm that most people were awful but you don’t interact with anybody other than the people you’re playing with while you play.

McBrandt

• Rep: -14
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
In theory it involves a bunch of stuff I like. Being outdoors, not a lot of people around, enjoying nature. But in practice, it's nothing like that. People always creeping up to play through, so you feel rushed, and whatever else. My biggest gripe is the amount of land used, and water used for that land, for a small subset of people. I'll admit going to a driving range with a bucket is fun, especially if the range is next door to a trailer park so you can try and ping one off their roofs. I'd rather skate a parking lot by myself or go play guitar in the woods.

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
I haven't played golf in a while, but I grew to love it when i did. It's funny, all the things pointed out about how golf is full of rich, old and retired men is kinda what made it so fun.

I chose to play golf in high school my freshman year because my skate rat friends and I found out that if you play in tournaments, they'd let you out of school at 10am, so we all decided to give it a shot. Fast forward to senior year, we actually kinda got good as a team and won some tournaments. But the best feeling was the look on the other, prep school kid's faces when they found out they had lost against a bunch of low income, public school kids with the worst gear. It was seriously priceless.

It was also a way to connect to my father (who hates skateboarding) and it helped rebuild our relationship. So yea, golf is dope af

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
I haven't played golf in a while, but I grew to love it when i did. It's funny, all the things pointed out about how golf is full of rich, old and retired men is kinda what made it so fun.

I chose to play golf in high school my freshman year because my skate rat friends and I found out that if you play in tournaments, they'd let you out of school at 10am, so we all decided to give it a shot. Fast forward to senior year, we actually kinda got good as a team and won some tournaments. But the best feeling was the look on the other, prep school kid's faces when they found out they had lost against a bunch of low income, public school kids with the worst gear. It was seriously priceless.

It was also a way to connect to my father (who hates skateboarding) and it helped rebuild our relationship. So yea, golf is dope af

come on thats a movie this cant be life

TunaNoodle

• Rep: 6
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2020, 10:34:41 AM »
I have played golf in Scotland and it's a much better deal. Play fast, walk, no cart girls or drunks, and most of all far more inclusive. You see people walking their dogs or just walking the course and no one cares. Its affordable and the courses are just part of the community, not like some gated oasis for rich pricks.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »
For a lot of people it’s just another excuse to go somewhere with your friends and get legally drunk.

I’ve never played a round of golf but I got hammered at a PGA tour event, they had a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville which I made my personal headquarters for the day.
I met Alice Cooper and Joe Pesci at a golf thing.

Glurmpz

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 10:56:57 AM »
I'm actually curious if there's anyone on here like me who doesn't like any sports at all, or anything to do with competition?

For the record, I've golfed twice and couldn't get into it. Just seemed really boring with too much walking.

I guess, instead of sports, I fill my non-skating time with music and artsy-craftsy stuff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:20:11 AM by Glurmpz »

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2020, 11:50:25 AM »
I see golf as something very similar to skateboarding. It's a very personal battle and you're constantly tweaking your technique because of personal fuck ups. I understand how to kick flip, yet I can't land every single one I try despite being fairly competent on a skateboard. I see people battle themselves with golf in the same way. knowing what to do, then having to constantly practice to maintain consistency. It's not that cool of a sport in my opinion but I look lame as fuck skateboarding too. I'm too tall and goofy looking. I think golfing and skateboarding are very personal sports where competition is generally looked at second, not first when practicing. At least that's how I see it.

As someone who does both this is spot on. If you think about it lots of similarities. Muscle memory, clearing your mind, interpreting your terrain, the list goes on. But yes, golf culture and skate culture are almost polar opposite

headtowall

• Rep: -12
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2020, 11:55:01 AM »
Expand Quote
I see golf as something very similar to skateboarding. It's a very personal battle and you're constantly tweaking your technique because of personal fuck ups. I understand how to kick flip, yet I can't land every single one I try despite being fairly competent on a skateboard. I see people battle themselves with golf in the same way. knowing what to do, then having to constantly practice to maintain consistency. It's not that cool of a sport in my opinion but I look lame as fuck skateboarding too. I'm too tall and goofy looking. I think golfing and skateboarding are very personal sports where competition is generally looked at second, not first when practicing. At least that's how I see it.
[close]

As someone who does both this is spot on. If you think about it lots of similarities. Muscle memory, clearing your mind, interpreting your terrain, the list goes on. But yes, golf culture and skate culture are almost polar opposite
I  always say this when i try to explain to people. Its something you do with your friends, you are stoked when they do well, but you are 100% focused on what you are doing. Also just as if not more frustrating.  The feeling of flushing an iron is right there with landing a trick

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
Bad fits, stupid hats, unwritten rules, getting vibed by individuals with membership to an exclusive social hierarchy, and casual alcoholism? Sounds like skateboarding to me.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
Bad fits, stupid hats, unwritten rules, getting vibed by individuals with membership to an exclusive social hierarchy, and casual alcoholism? Sounds like skateboarding to me.

/thread

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2020, 12:38:56 PM »
Number 1: There are tons of Republican-esq, rich-ass, shitty skaters out there. Looking at a vast demographic like golfers and deciding they are all shitty based on the assumed "country club Connecticut" lifestyle is whack. By that logic, should we judge every skater on the planet by Street League douchebags a la Nyjah, Mike Taylor and Drydek? Fuck no.

Number 2: Golf is dope, and can be a lot more accessible than people imagine. Those who have never done it, go to the driving range tonight and spend 7-15 bucks for an hour of fun. Smack that ball and watch your stress go away. It's a good cheap date spot too.

Number 3: Skating is probably the closest sport related to golf. You're with your buddies, in a crew, driving around in a golf cart (skate van)and shooting the shit and drinking beers/smoking and having a great time. You get to different holes (spots) and collectively agree on your strong suits for that hole. Club selection is the same as trick selection, different clubs will work better for different golfers, just like different tricks from different skaters at the same spot is a thing. You try your best at every hole (spot) and some guys come out on top. At the end of the day someone may have done better than the rest, but it was all about enjoying the day with your friends and making memories. My old crew used to meet at the park and skate and then hit the green for a round of 9. Some of my best memories of those times are the days we skated park in the morning, golfed the back 9 in the afternoon, then skated street long into the night.

Number 4: Focus your deck and get it made into a 9 iron already.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
 I'm way more into cycling but golf and cycling are extremely similar to skating.  Youre ultimately doing it on your own even if you're around others and you can learn to do it with your own style.

I'm not bashing anything that's fun.  I have way more of an issue of skaters hanging around shitty art scenes.  Truly insufferable people exist there
where is home?

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 115
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »

numagik

• Rep: 35
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »
Go out to some rural course by a campground where you can go apeshit drinking and driving on their golf carts and you'll fall in love with golf

BigPants

• Rep: 2

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -519
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »
I dont play it anymore but did a run with golf, if u don't know you don't know. Load the caddy up with beers, roll a few, leisurely stroll up to ur ball while hittin beers and buds, wack that sucker, start walkin again, finish 18 hopefully with a couple of surprise hammers and hit the club house for more beers... Oh and you can justify it as a mature form of exercise. Whats not to like?

exactly . It’s just an excuse/activity to drink and smoke for me. A lot of people are just straight doing blow every other hole . Golf is just an excuse to party for older  dudes . Wives don’t ask any questions cause golf just seems like a boring old dude sport . It’s the perfect cover .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

haydtang

• Rep: -20
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
I like golfing because its pretty much an excuse to get drunk, and drive around in a little car with your buddies!
Also have never rolled my ankle golfing; which is pretty cool!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
Work outings at golf courses are great if the boss opens a tab.

I have no desire to spend the money it takes to get good at golf.

I have however been looking into pitch and putt for my son and I. He is not interested in skateboarding and doesn’t like team sports but likes golf because there is no risk of getting hurt.

With pitch and putt you don’t have to buy as many irons and there are no drivers. You still get outside but it’s not as big a time/money investment.

Here’s the place by me: https://www.bridgestreetgolf.com/

Prices seem similar to a skate park.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2020, 05:38:31 PM »
Skating is probably the closest sport related to golf. You're with your buddies, in a crew, driving around in a golf cart (skate van)and shooting the shit and drinking beers/smoking and having a great time. You get to different holes (spots) and collectively agree on your strong suits for that hole. Club selection is the same as trick selection, different clubs will work better for different golfers, just like different tricks from different skaters at the same spot is a thing. You try your best at every hole (spot) and some guys come out on top. At the end of the day someone may have done better than the rest, but it was all about enjoying the day with your friends and making memories.

You got a group of dudes dunking their dimpled balls in a little wet box.  Everyone takes a turn whackin’ it and the others stare in silence so the one guy can concentrate...

Everyone is nearly blackout drunk.  You’re constantly trying to navigate between dog legs.  You pay some dude to hang out and whisper suggestions into your ear and tell you that you’re doing great.  You’re constantly clutching your shaft with two hands hoping something good is about to happen.

Sounds like my honeymoon!

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 544
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2020, 05:48:04 PM »
I didn’t read any of this thread, but I guess if a skateboarder wanted to golf they would probably need golf clubs and a golf ball. I hope this was helpful.