Author Topic: Obvious Things in Skateboard History that You Just Realized.  (Read 23960 times)

JamesFardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 69
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Obvious Things in Skateboard History that You Just Realized.
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2020, 03:34:03 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2020, 03:59:56 PM »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2020, 04:03:02 PM »
Lol at Knox Godoy turning himself pro.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Alex Olson has a guest trick in Dill's part in Skate More.
[close]

Even weirder: Dill, Dollin, and Bam are Arto’s guest tricks in Sorry!
[close]

The Dill Bs Smith is really great. I wish there was a photo of that. Also who did the Nollie Heelflip hippie jump? Alex Moul?
[close]

Agreed but those guests (aside from the Finnish friend) seemed weird.  Only Dill/Arto association I could think of is Feedback tours.  Dustin one was random enough that a friend came back from the premier telling me Arto switch 5050ed a huge rail

That trick was filmed on the same trip Dustin was on (eS in Australia/On Video Spring 2002). Dustin probably skated with Arto a lot in those Huntington Beach days as well.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote
JT had nothing to do with Andy Howells brand. Just a shared word. Everything the chiefs ever done was stolen so I wouldn’t be surprised if he “liked it” or just one of the fonts Andy used. But JT was not down. Then stole the imagery from toy story and mainstream clipart sources

Free max b
[close]

Bronze 56k act bucky massa. Bronze 56K issa all trust fund bwoys. No cya nun ya run come ya pon a top notch mon. Nah know nothin bout struggle an street life. Ya, Bronze 56K offspring de rich babylon parents, child pretend dey raw wen in fact maama and dada provide everyting fi ya.
Ayo Twizzla.

Quit it with the digital blackface, it's not funny
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 146
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
Bronze 56k act bucky massa. Bronze 56K issa all trust fund bwoys. No cya nun ya run come ya pon a top notch mon. Nah know nothin bout struggle an street life. Ya, Bronze 56K offspring de rich babylon parents, child pretend dey raw wen in fact maama and dada provide everyting fi ya.

Relax Eli.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
i knew i had seen it before somewhere, but recently realizing that jamie thomas got the name and logo for ‘mystery’ from the name of the band the kids had in the movie ‘detroit rock city’.

he really is an unoriginal, capitalist piece of shit.

let’s start a sub-thread here: what logo/name that can be obviously seen in a movie/show/book would jamie thomas be most likely to steal if he were to start a new company?

oh wise one please tell me which non-for-profit 501(c) provided you with you a deck, shoes, trucks, wheels, bearings, hardware, and grip tape.  I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you make your own clothes from the cotton you grow or you run around nude.

fucking idiot.

why is slap filled with idiot 20ish year old marxists who dont have any concept of nor experience in exchanging their time for labor?  bunch of suburban white daddy boys.  fucked up that my black ass needs to tell you how the world works. 
where is home?

Sizzla

• Rep: 231
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2020, 09:52:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
JT had nothing to do with Andy Howells brand. Just a shared word. Everything the chiefs ever done was stolen so I wouldn’t be surprised if he “liked it” or just one of the fonts Andy used. But JT was not down. Then stole the imagery from toy story and mainstream clipart sources

Free max b
[close]

[close]
Ayo Twizzla.

Quit it with the digital blackface, it's not funny

cha! disya meme ja makin I crazeee
I an I haff nah white god

Loady McGee

• Rep: 57
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2020, 04:34:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Dill Bs Smith is really great. I wish there was a photo of that. Also who did the Nollie Heelflip hippie jump? Alex Moul?
[close]

Agreed but those guests (aside from the Finnish friend) seemed weird.  Only Dill/Arto association I could think of is Feedback tours.  Dustin one was random enough that a friend came back from the premier telling me Arto switch 5050ed a huge rail
[close]

That trick was filmed on the same trip Dustin was on (eS in Australia/On Video Spring 2002). Dustin probably skated with Arto a lot in those Huntington Beach days as well.

Yeah, they did. Arto has ties to PD and was a part of the Warner ave mob in the late 90's (check out the day in the life with the warner ave mob in 411VM #38 or the Thrasher article from 98 about the warner ave mob), so I don't find it that strange really. And Bam is no surprise either since Arto had a lot of stuff in one of the CKY videos, as previously mentioned. But Dill is weird.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2020, 06:04:16 AM »
rodney vs daewon wasn’t a kimbo esque backyard fight video

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2020, 06:17:53 AM »
Skate media was trash in 2020 because literally everything was held back for the November SOTY push.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2020, 06:35:28 AM »
Skate media was trash in 2020 because literally everything was held back for the November SOTY push.

there were hella good videos all year.  much more than i expected considering the whole world shut down. only two or three guys made a soty run. couple hundred parts from other people came out tho.

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2020, 07:58:42 AM »
I could be wrong about this but Don “The Nuge” Nguyen’s last name is actually pronounced “Win” or “Wen” or even “Nwen”. But the g never gets pronounced so the nickname is just a bastardized pronunciation of his name.

Algar

« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2020, 08:01:09 AM »
Also, that street skating basically always existed but wasn’t really marketed as its own distinct and legitimate genre of skating until the late 80’s/early 90’s

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2020, 08:41:11 AM »
I could be wrong about this but Don “The Nuge” Nguyen’s last name is actually pronounced “Win” or “Wen” or even “Nwen”. But the g never gets pronounced so the nickname is just a bastardized pronunciation of his name.

It’s also Ted Nugent’s nickname, which I assume contributed.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

LordsofFlatbush

• Rep: -2
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
The van ride/boombox/breaking-cassette-tape schtick in Cash Money Vagrant is a spoof on the taxi ride skits that set up the parts in Free Your Mind.

Algar

« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2020, 07:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s also Ted Nugent’s nickname, which I assume contributed.

Yeah, i get that but I feel like nugent=nuge but my point is that Nguyen doesn’t = nuge unless your some Midwestern idiot that doesn’t realize that it’s not pronounced nugeyen (this is me, so when I actually met someone with the last name, and they told me the pronounciation of there last name I was like wait a sec....) but I get it, don is rockin, and have a rockin nickname was marketable and helped his career even if it doesn’t make total sense.  I just found it kinda amusing

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2020, 11:41:15 PM »
Street League paid to be on ESPN2 when it first started.

And, (my guess is) since the ratings have been garbage for years the only thing keeping it alive was the hope of being an Olympic Qualifying event.

Stats from Dew Tour as Olympic Qual event
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:05:24 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Brguy

« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2020, 07:41:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, they did. Arto has ties to PD and was a part of the Warner ave mob in the late 90's (check out the day in the life with the warner ave mob in 411VM #38 or the Thrasher article from 98 about the warner ave mob), so I don't find it that strange really. And Bam is no surprise either since Arto had a lot of stuff in one of the CKY videos, as previously mentioned. But Dill is weird.
Didn't Arto hang out with Ed Templeton a lot? I can see some connection there.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »
Street League paid to be on ESPN2 when it first started.

And, (my guess is) since the ratings have been garbage for years the only thing keeping it alive was the hope of being an Olympic Qualifying event.

Stats from Dew Tour as Olympic Qual event

This. Is. Skateboarding
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 57
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup, It was probably through Ed he got to know all the other locals at Huntington park like the warner ave guys. Ed's photobook The Golden Age of Neglect is pretty neat in capturing that particular era. Arto is in it quite much. Funny side note is that Arto barely spoke a word english when he first got to the states. That has always puzzled me.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 340
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2020, 12:37:09 PM »

Caballero aerial = Caballerial

Curse of being raised in the post vert era of the early 2000s
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2020, 12:54:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yup, It was probably through Ed he got to know all the other locals at Huntington park like the warner ave guys. Ed's photobook The Golden Age of Neglect is pretty neat in capturing that particular era. Arto is in it quite much. Funny side note is that Arto barely spoke a word english when he first got to the states. That has always puzzled me.

I forgot Arto skated to a cky song in menikmati that they may have made for the part so there’s a connection there

cky enthusiast

« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I forgot Arto skated to a cky song in menikmati that they may have made for the part so there’s a connection there

all the greats love cky

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2020, 01:17:02 PM »

Caballero aerial = Caballerial

Well fuck
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2020, 02:53:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

all the greats love cky

theres a clip of a young arto skating in a barn somewere in europe with a huge pd flag in the background. go look for it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
Nollie heel medlife/choice? Gap in baker 2g

Brguy

« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2020, 09:37:50 AM »
Dave Mull has beautiful blue eyes.

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2020, 01:14:54 AM »
S.A.D. really should have both been on Chocolate and had a part in "Chocolate Tour" ('99).

The skating from the entire Santa Rosa-ish Supernaut/Adrenalin/Physics Wheels/Sheep Shoes crew is arguably is more influential today than any other "school" from that time.