Author Topic: Andy Anderson should be in SOTY running  (Read 17506 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1617
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Andy Anderson should be in SOTY running
« Reply #180 on: December 28, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »
Nah man....it's all Andy......

Brguy

« Reply #181 on: December 28, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »
You guys are so fucking fried with California and NY it's like your minds can't even comprehend that skateboarding exists outside of these places. He doesn't need to be more acknowledged, to work on his image or to go for SOTY, all I could say he really needs is to keep skating as long as he can and that's fucking it. Also, 50-50 on the chain was awesome, some of his tricks are those things everyone do once in a while but would never put in a video part, which is pretty cool.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #182 on: December 28, 2020, 12:23:13 AM »
I would give him a pass if he would be asian.
But he isn’t.

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -496
« Reply #183 on: December 28, 2020, 01:55:46 AM »
Love That dude! Yeah hes different. That’s cool to me.

But tastes differ. That’s Also cool to me.   ;D

To the haters Living in 1920: Dont put too much energy into hate Towards things you can just ignore. Its Not like a witch you have to burn because its a danger to your wells, children and cattle... its 2020.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -254
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2020, 02:30:11 AM »

To the haters Living in 1920: Dont put too much energy into hate Towards things you can just ignore. Its Not like a witch you have to burn because its a danger to your wells, children and cattle... its 2020.

Thanks, Dad.

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -496
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2020, 03:11:51 AM »
My pleasure son. As Always ;)
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2020, 04:01:16 AM »
i watched the part again and came to the conclusion that i fucking hate it.

i was looking a bit past the tic tacing and general bad style at first, but on a second watch, i couldn't help but think the dude has such a limp style. there's no power and momentum at all to his skating. i agree he has a lot of finesse, but so many tricks would be way more dope if he didn't try to slide around a corner and yank himself out to almost a stand.

the first 5050 looked atrocious. i thought he was going for smith and missed it. i usually dig the cross lock, but that trick looked like shit.

that comment that said he is better than ishod was ridiculous. && will never do a stylish frontside flip down somewhere. i say this while keeping in mind that he's talented enough to do them probably, but i bet they'd be buttugly. nevermind that the dude has zero switch or nollie game. he is a niche talent. ishod can skate anything and look good. && only looks good doing manuals. even his boardslides suck because he has to wiggle around on everyone to keep them, which makes me not care about the length of the rail.

his nbds aren nbds not because he's the only one that could do them, it's no one does them because they are shit tricks no one would want to film or try.

i don't even care about his clothes or the helmet, although he looks like a little frail kid with posture issues when he's just riding his board with that helmet on. and about half of those rideaways are inexcusable. if you can't land a trick while keeping a minimum of speed and momentum, maybe do it on another spot or don't film it. the fact that he can balance manuals and rails real good doesn't help when it looks bad everytime he pops a trick or lands and rides away. seriously he lands most of his tricks but ugly and also stiff. to me there is zero flow to his skating, because whatever flow there  could be is interrupted by him doing some corny shit that slows him down.

i got nothing against the guy, i watched the mini documentary and thought his approach is somewhat cool, but man, that trick selection is the fucking worst. creativity this and that, it's about what you make of it. this is not the type of creativity i like in skating. it's clownshit to me.

also braille connection, fuck anyone associated with that shit company.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • tiger style
« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2020, 06:07:25 AM »

i was looking a bit past the tic tacing and general bad style at first, but on a second watch, i couldn't help but think the dude has such a limp style. there's no power and momentum at all to his skating. i agree he has a lot of finesse, but so many tricks would be way more dope if he didn't try to slide around a corner and yank himself out to almost a stand.

the first 5050 looked atrocious. i thought he was going for smith and missed it. i usually dig the cross lock, but that trick looked like shit.

that comment that said he is better than ishod was ridiculous. && will never do a stylish frontside flip down somewhere. i say this while keeping in mind that he's talented enough to do them probably, but i bet they'd be buttugly. nevermind that the dude has zero switch or nollie game. he is a niche talent. ishod can skate anything and look good. && only looks good doing manuals. even his boardslides suck because he has to wiggle around on everyone to keep them, which makes me not care about the length of the rail.

his nbds aren nbds not because he's the only one that could do them, it's no one does them because they are shit tricks no one would want to film or try.

i don't even care about his clothes or the helmet, although he looks like a little frail kid with posture issues when he's just riding his board with that helmet on. and about half of those rideaways are inexcusable. if you can't land a trick while keeping a minimum of speed and momentum, maybe do it on another spot or don't film it. the fact that he can balance manuals and rails real good doesn't help when it looks bad everytime he pops a trick or lands and rides away. seriously he lands most of his tricks but ugly and also stiff. to me there is zero flow to his skating, because whatever flow there  could be is interrupted by him doing some corny shit that slows him down.

i got nothing against the guy, i watched the mini documentary and thought his approach is somewhat cool, but man, that trick selection is the fucking worst. creativity this and that, it's about what you make of it. this is not the type of creativity i like in skating. it's clownshit to me.

you nailed how i felt watching it too. i find it worst than richie jackson. i actually don't mind richie's parts that much but know i'm watching novelty skating when i watch them. it's like watching mega ramp or a long boarder downhill. but unlike andy, richie at least does his tricks with speed and some style. and then image wise i'll take an ironic pirate over a man baby park rat. i wish andy would go all in on the look and wear a helmet with a spike mohawk and some light up shoes.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2020, 06:12:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you nailed how i felt watching it too. i find it worst than richie jackson. i actually don't mind richie's parts that much but know i'm watching novelty skating when i watch them. it's like watching mega ramp or a long boarder downhill. but unlike andy, richie at least does his tricks with speed and some style. and then image wise i'll take an ironic pirate over a man baby park rat. i wish andy would go all in on the look and wear a helmet with a spike mohawk and some light up shoes.

lmao, i agree

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2020, 06:44:10 AM »
chaz ortiz should refilm &&s part trick for trick. id watch that

sonypremiums

• Rep: 5
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2020, 11:01:14 AM »
Highlights

-Chris haslam not rolling at all after landing that manual thing.
-Non ironic Imovie titles
-that chain 5050 with one foot removed for whatever reason feeling like it lasted for hours.
-How his target audience is clearly an 11 year old who is just learning the "put your feet under the board and jump up so that it does a half kickflip and you land on it" but won't ever move away from that phase
-The nosegrind nosegrind on the bleacher was actually cool though.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2020, 11:16:20 AM »

What do people think went on in the 1920s? First, no one had performed manual labour full-time since then. And now it turns out we were in a pre-industrial subsistence economy then.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 15
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »
You guys are so fucking fried with California and NY it's like your minds can't even comprehend that skateboarding exists outside of these places. He doesn't need to be more acknowledged, to work on his image or to go for SOTY, all I could say he really needs is to keep skating as long as he can and that's fucking it. Also, 50-50 on the chain was awesome, some of his tricks are those things everyone do once in a while but would never put in a video part, which is pretty cool.

Genuinely curious, does he get a lot of love in Vancouver? Just checked his instagram and the only person I'm seeing regularly liking his stuff is Breana Geering but I honestly don't know much about the scene up there.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2020, 06:51:42 PM »
4:40-4:53 

That's why you don't edit your own videos...

manysnakes

« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2020, 07:03:34 PM »
-The nosegrind nosegrind on the bleacher was actually cool though.

Best trick in the whole part

Moetallica

• Rep: 0
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2020, 07:14:45 PM »
dude is the joe bonamassa of skating

I spit out the food I was eating after reading this. Totally true and also glad someone else notices how much of a dweeb Joe Bonamassa is.  Good at his craft but just cringy all the time.

Brguy

« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2020, 01:26:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Genuinely curious, does he get a lot of love in Vancouver? Just checked his instagram and the only person I'm seeing regularly liking his stuff is Breana Geering but I honestly don't know much about the scene up there.
Fuck if I know, I'm not even american.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2020, 05:45:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
when I lived there andy was a guy that showed up at plaza once a month and did weird tricks and then left shortly after. i think his most memorable trick for me was 50/50 stand still on the out rail for 5-10 minutes or so- no way i could every do something like that, but regardless of talent required it's just boring.

hands down andy is no doubt talented, but that part wasn't interesting, andy doesn't typically do interesting things and andy can't be in the soty running after they announce this years soty. if it was a part filled with that fs tail flip t-fox line it would be a much more interesting part.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
when I lived there andy was a guy that showed up at plaza once a month and did weird tricks and then left shortly after. i think his most memorable trick for me was 50/50 stand still on the out rail for 5-10 minutes or so- no way i could every do something like that, but regardless of talent required it's just boring.

hands down andy is no doubt talented, but that part wasn't interesting, andy doesn't typically do interesting things and andy can't be in the soty running after they announce this years soty. if it was a part filled with that fs tail flip t-fox line it would be a much more interesting part.

I guess that’s where we disagree.

The Terry Fox line was thrown in, I think, to show that Andy CAN skate conventionally if he wanted to.

But he doesn’t. I have no desire to watch people do the same flip tricks marginally nicer that each other at this point. That kind of skating is boring to me personally.

That’s why I like Andy’s approach. It’s so off-the-wall. I don’t care if it’s stylish or not (the fanaticism over style is a bit overblown for me).

I want to see someone who looks like they are really having fun and into what they’re doing. If it’s stylish, even better. But I’m more about the present, not the wrapping paper.

Andy ticks that box for me.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

manysnakes

« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2020, 08:31:37 AM »

cky enthusiast

« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2020, 08:37:45 AM »
I see the only actual complaint is his style on this message board. It shows the naivety of those who know nothing of which they speak.

Style whenever I speak to younger skaters is always misinterpreted as clothing, or how cool a skater looks. Some of the dorkiest skaters of all time have the dopest styles. Andy does not dress well, or looks cool to any degree. This is in contrast to how skateboarding has traditionally been marketed by the “mainstream media”.

If you actually are judging style itself, how do you genuinely quantify good/bad style? Theoretically you are referring to how the trick is performed, and that is it. How I choose to think about it is in terms of 3D graphics like a Pixar movie or a video game. If you ever play with 3D graphics it’s a 2 step process, you build a model like say a character in a Pixar movie, and then you deal with the animations of that model separately.

In the case of skateboarding, the Pixar model is you and your skateboard. When you are quantifying someone’s style, You are really imagining it as purely the animation of the model. how that model looks performing the tricks.

Andy looks stylish on some tricks, but he suffers on others. Andy’s problem with style from a style perspective has nothing to do with clothes. it has to do with his board. His board sacrifices his style on a lot of aspects of his skating.

His freestyle footwork will never be quick on a board anywhere near that wide or that wide of a wheelbase. His flip tricks and street skating will suffer because of the width and wheelbase of his board. What he optimized with that board is balancing on rails and skating transition. That’s why from a true style perspective all of his unique freestyle and freestyle/street hybrid stuff looks so awkard.

Andy would look fucking incredible with his skating style if he went to a late Rodney build of a board, like a 7.75 or so popsicle. He suffers from riding that board, but it also optimized his two greatest strengths with rail balance and transition.

nice novel there hemmingway

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -173
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2020, 08:51:15 AM »
i went to his instagram and this was the first thing I clicked on. prime example of him being able to do crazy stuff but not having any 'style'.  look at that push in between tricks.  he needs to take some time just pumping around a park without doing an 8 trick combo on every obstacle that he comes across and actually get comfortable being fluid.

i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
I see the only actual complaint is his style on this message board. It shows the naivety of those who know nothing of which they speak.

Style whenever I speak to younger skaters is always misinterpreted as clothing, or how cool a skater looks. Some of the dorkiest skaters of all time have the dopest styles. Andy does not dress well, or looks cool to any degree. This is in contrast to how skateboarding has traditionally been marketed by the “mainstream media”.

If you actually are judging style itself, how do you genuinely quantify good/bad style? Theoretically you are referring to how the trick is performed, and that is it. How I choose to think about it is in terms of 3D graphics like a Pixar movie or a video game. If you ever play with 3D graphics it’s a 2 step process, you build a model like say a character in a Pixar movie, and then you deal with the animations of that model separately.

In the case of skateboarding, the Pixar model is you and your skateboard. When you are quantifying someone’s style, You are really imagining it as purely the animation of the model. how that model looks performing the tricks.

Andy looks stylish on some tricks, but he suffers on others. Andy’s problem with style from a style perspective has nothing to do with clothes. it has to do with his board. His board sacrifices his style on a lot of aspects of his skating.

His freestyle footwork will never be quick on a board anywhere near that wide or that wide of a wheelbase. His flip tricks and street skating will suffer because of the width and wheelbase of his board. What he optimized with that board is balancing on rails and skating transition. That’s why from a true style perspective all of his unique freestyle and freestyle/street hybrid stuff looks so awkard.

Andy would look fucking incredible with his skating style if he went to a late Rodney build of a board, like a 7.75 or so popsicle. He suffers from riding that board, but it also optimized his two greatest strengths with rail balance and transition.

to me he just looks like 13 year old kid at the park, insecure push, bad posture, no power and speed, landing things in tic tacs. he does longass bs boardslides but always looks like in limbo, wiggling around. it just looks bad imo. i don't care about his clothes. he could skate in a skirt for all i care. i just don't enjoy his style at all. his push, how he lands tricks, how he locks into those 50s. not for me at all. freestyle tricks are disgusting to me. it's just my taste. i don't need to like all kinds of skating. i still respect how hard those tricks are though.

style is subjective, no idea how you come up that quantifying idea. if you dig tic taced landings and shuffled boardslides, if you don't care about how a skater pushes and looks when he's cruising, that's fine. you can say he has good style, i can say he has bad style. we are both correct.   

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2020, 11:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

to me he just looks like 13 year old kid at the park, insecure push, bad posture, no power and speed, landing things in tic tacs. he does longass bs boardslides but always looks like in limbo, wiggling around. it just looks bad imo. i don't care about his clothes. he could skate in a skirt for all i care. i just don't enjoy his style at all. his push, how he lands tricks, how he locks into those 50s. not for me at all. freestyle tricks are disgusting to me. it's just my taste. i don't need to like all kinds of skating. i still respect how hard those tricks are though.

style is subjective, no idea how you come up that quantifying idea. if you dig tic taced landings and shuffled boardslides, if you don't care about how a skater pushes and looks when he's cruising, that's fine. you can say he has good style, i can say he has bad style. we are both correct.
I commend your etiquette, but no one can say he has good style...

cky enthusiast

« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »
he really said “you know nothing of which you speak”

the only thing he’s pushing is a star wars roller backpack

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 818
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
A bunch of bullshit.

Again, fuck you Cheetah
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
Gary didn’t disappoint

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
This was mankind's worst atrocity

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »
Don't be scared of AA.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
  • Dopeness
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2020, 07:12:19 PM »
Saying && is the goat, better than Ishod and GT and that stuff, is just like saying Pine is the best skater ever because he triple flips big stairs and does k-grind 540 shoves.