Author Topic: is Anyone Obsessed with The Shining?  (Read 1539 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
is Anyone Obsessed with The Shining?
« on: March 11, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »
I got lost down a YouTube rabbit hole of watching people's theories on this film.  I saw the 237 documentary.
 It's pretty wild how analyzed this movie is, to the point that people have created some amazing maps and found out about the artists that painted pictures hanging on the walls.  I dig the movie, seen it a bunch of times over the years, but wow people are into it like I can't even believe.

Any body here get obsessive or wild on it?

animalflesh

Re: is Anyone Obsessed with The Shining?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »
Yeah it’s one of the best movies ever made and Kubricks best film

Probably one of the most visually expressive movies I’ve ever seen, each scene feels horrifying no matter what’s happening

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 06:34:48 PM »
The Shinning

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1160
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 06:54:21 PM »
It's a fine film, though I think I prefer "2001" and "Full Metal Jacket"
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »
I saw shining all the way through very recently (had caught bits and pieces of the 2nd half on TV through the years so I felt like I had basically seen the whole thing) and I kinda sorta agree with Stephen King that Jack Nicholson isn’t great casting because he starts off kind of unhinged looking and there isn’t far for him to go when the transformation happens.   He nails the back 3/4, but in that first job interview it just seems logical he’d go loopy

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 09:02:31 PM »
Shining is great. Don't really get lost in theories. Love to read about the production of films. 2001 is insanely impressive still I believe.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 02:47:39 AM »
Shining is great. Don't really get lost in theories. Love to read about the production of films. 2001 is insanely impressive still I believe.

Most people don’t know that Moonwatcher and HAL were played by the same actor.  Fun fact.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1561
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 03:10:06 AM »
Yeah it’s one of the best movies ever made and Kubricks best film

Probably one of the most visually expressive movies I’ve ever seen, each scene feels horrifying no matter what’s happening

Backed. Film theory can get hella convoluted but the shining is so tastefully layered and wonderfully shot that it flows like a stream. Fucking love that movie.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 03:50:32 AM »
yes...one of the only truly unsettling American "horror" films

and i wholeheartedly disagree with a lot that has been said about Shelley Duvall's character--she's a fucking badass who keeps it together and saves her child while her husband, her child, and the Overlook Hotel are all fucking tripping...even if she's a bit hysterical at points while handling things.

by the way, one of the most incredible opening credits sequences ever--i know the score has a lot to do with it, but still, how the fuck does one make long aerial tracking shots of driving through the mountains so absolutely fucking menacing?

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 05:29:05 AM »
yes...one of the only truly unsettling American "horror" films

and i wholeheartedly disagree with a lot that has been said about Shelley Duvall's character--she's a fucking badass who keeps it together and saves her child while her husband, her child, and the Overlook Hotel are all fucking tripping...even if she's a bit hysterical at points while handling things.

by the way, one of the most incredible opening credits sequences ever--i know the score has a lot to do with it, but still, how the fuck does one make long aerial tracking shots of driving through the mountains so absolutely fucking menacing?

Yes to everything you said.  Wendy is amazing.  She survives!  That alone is impressive.

My favorite fun fact is that David Lynch is a huge influence on The Shining.  Kubrick had the cast watch it while they filmed to influence them, and there's even more than that:

https://screenrant.com/shining-movie-connection-david-lynch-eraserhead/#:~:text=In%20order%20to%20get%20his,telling%20a%20very%20different%20story.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 07:13:05 AM »
It’s a great film, I read somewhere that they would alter the set between shots (opening and closing doors, moving Danny to different parts of the carpet etc) to create a subconscious feeling that something was off. The old lady rotting in his arms horrified me as a child, great film.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 07:28:25 AM »
It’s a great film, I read somewhere that they would alter the set between shots (opening and closing doors, moving Danny to different parts of the carpet etc) to create a subconscious feeling that something was off. The old lady rotting in his arms horrified me as a child, great film.

this makes total sense...it's funny how jarring and unsettling (i keep resorting to this word for some reason) all of those tracking shots following Danny on his big-wheel are--not just motion, space (the constriction of space in the scene when he finally runs into the twins in the tighter hallway), and setting (the colors, and patterns of the halls and carpet), but the sound of the different surfaces also, as he passes from rugs to hard floor--this all really does give the sense that "something is off" and keeps us as viewers off balance a bit--i think film/cultural scholars might call these Brechtian moments...maybe.

either way, i honestly could watch these scenes all day...fucking brilliant:

anybody see the new film? been meaning to check it out...

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 07:31:24 AM »
It's a top 5 for me for sure.  The first time I watched it, I was home alone sick on the couch while the rest of my family went to my brothers basketball game.  That was a trip at 12 years old.  I certainly didn't pickup much nuance, but it had such a lasting effect on me.  I've watched it several times, watched the doc.  One of the most beautifully shot movies of all time.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1723
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
The book is sort of weird.  In the beginning it starts off with a scene where dude has just creampied his wife.

The movie is great.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Phil Leotardo

• Rep: -49
  • Lemme tell you a couple of three things
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »
The book is sort of weird.  In the beginning it starts off with a scene where dude has just creampied his wife.

The movie is great.
Yeah the book is much different from the movie, ending and all. Still a great read if you're a fan of Stephen King or The Shining in general. Doctor Sleep is more on par with what they shot for that movie. Was a lot of fan service with the callbacks to the original but I enjoyed the fuck outta it. Def check it out if you're a fan of the original.

There's no scraps in my scrapbook

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
Expand Quote

The movie is great.
[close]
Yeah the book is much different from the movie, ending and all. Still a great read if you're a fan of Stephen King or The Shining in general. Doctor Sleep is more on par with what they shot for that movie. Was a lot of fan service with the callbacks to the original but I enjoyed the fuck outta it. Def check it out if you're a fan of the original.

Thinking of Stephen King books, I remember reading the Running Man when I was relatively young. That was way gnarlier than the goofy ass movie.

It'd be amazing if someone remade the Running Man and made it more like the book. It'd be amazing especially in todays world.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Telly

• Rep: -150
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 08:56:48 PM »
All shining and no braille makes op a dull boy.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
  • dog stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 01:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The movie is great.
[close]

[close]

Thinking of Stephen King books, I remember reading the Running Man when I was relatively young. That was way gnarlier than the goofy ass movie.

It'd be amazing if someone remade the Running Man and made it more like the book. It'd be amazing especially in todays world.

The running man is so good, read it when i was younger too and remember it making a big impression

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 05:04:55 AM »
For Wendy fans, there's a fun theory out there called "The Wendy Theory" that builds a pretty interesting argument that she is the one who suffers the initial mental breakdown and a lot of what we see are her psychotic hallucinations, and Jack is almost more of a victim.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1464
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2021, 05:26:50 AM »
For Wendy fans, there's a fun theory out there called "The Wendy Theory" that builds a pretty interesting argument that she is the one who suffers the initial mental breakdown and a lot of what we see are her psychotic hallucinations, and Jack is almost more of a victim.
Shelley Duvall has suffered a full mental breakdown in recent years. She’s definitely somewhere on the schizophrenia spectrum now.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2021, 06:16:50 AM »
Expand Quote

The movie is great.
[close]

oh man, i was trying to restrain myself from starting with the gifs...that's a good one...your boy is firing on all 8 cylinders in this scene too

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 07:39:02 AM »
Expand Quote

The movie is great.
[close]

This is a hot take!  I like it, and will have to check it out now.  Also, Jocelin Donahue is bae...

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 09:54:49 AM »
kubriks best film was the moon landing
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2021, 10:50:22 AM »
One of my favorites. I made a fuck buddy watch it with me once, lolz. I still remember her reaction to the quick shot of the guy in the bear suit giving a bj. She also thought the movie was too slow. Lame. 

Barry Lyndon is darkly humorous but very subtle and I really feel like watching it lately.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »
^^yup that scene was the most horrifying frame to me as a kid even tho I didn't even understand it

Also just want to say how much I appreciate all the love for this movie going on in this thread. An all time favorite for me

G raham

• Rep: -48
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2021, 10:40:12 PM »
bear costume scene is the coolest scene in the history of film
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2021, 03:16:52 AM »

Think this might be the original one of this trope.  Remember watching it 13 years ago along with Back to the Future recut as a forbidden gay romance a la Brokeback Mountain

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 08:25:50 AM »
It's one of those 'if it's on, I'm watching it' movies for me, definitely favorite Kubrick and horror movie.

I haven't gotten lost in the theories and need to rewatch/finish the doc.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
kubrik abused shelly duvall by making her do this scene hundreds of times until she was so exhausted to get the results he wanted out of her .. it’s said that she was never the same after what he put her through during the filming of this film

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2021, 09:51:39 AM »

Think this might be the original one of this trope.  Remember watching it 13 years ago along with Back to the Future recut as a forbidden gay romance a la Brokeback Mountain

mother of god man, is nothing sacred?

i fucking literally spit coffee out of my nose when "Solsbury Hill" starts that moving montage...egads.