Author Topic: PS Stix? BBS? Help!  (Read 3457 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
Re: PS Stix? BBS? Help!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2021, 01:49:13 AM »
Hey there, old guy who started skating again a few years back after more than a decade off the board and then bought every truck, deck, and wheel on the market to figure out what he likes here.

Here's what I'm going to recommend. First off, you want a mellow tail. Trust me. Just for the stamina factor alone its worth it starting out, but what i like is that its more stable feelingg and hits the ground faster. You're going to have to relearn technique first (and its not like riding a bike) so I wouldn't worry about popping shit high or snapping crisp kickies that you catch with your knees bent. You just want something to roll around and pop on and develop that muscle memory for now. Next up - something shorter than 32 (or whatever the standard length for your size is)... You'll have limited range of movement at first and it was way easier for me to pop and land successfully on a short and fat board for the first few months. Finally, this is preference but I recommend a flatter concave. I don't know if its because im old enough to predate the steep deck era or what but it just felt more natural and comfortable to me.

For wood - its hard to find BBS decks that fit the bill listed above. I would go with either PS or South Central's E mold. Easiest place to get an emold is DOA, look for their "flat as fuck" decks. You could also go with a PGI deck like Blood Wizard or crail (their kicks are too steep for my liking though) if you want sort of a hybrid between bbs feel and more of a flat shape.

downtodevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 06:27:23 AM »
OP, here’s what you need to do: read through every single page of the setup thread, and then commit to trying as many new boards as possible, until you’ve completely lost your mind and start talking seriously about whether or not to pop your bearing shields off, and whether the stain color of your top ply affects the weight of a deck.

I’m halfway there…

al_cvbrera

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2021, 06:38:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You're too new to give a shit about this stuff.....it won't matter....
[close]
i highly disagree. so what if he’s “new” (which he technically isn’t)… he asked for us to help him out and wants to ensure he makes an educated purchase. you know, with money he earned himself? whether he’s new or not he deserves to atleast know about what he’s buying
[close]

Yeh thanks...I was referring to why torment yourself with two products that are marginally different....I can't skate PS boards but I clearly know.....its me.
nice backpedal bud. you’re good.

manysnakes

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 07:01:13 AM »
It's truly deranged to have heated arguments over two pages about this. Just buy the board you want, between those two makers they're both very good.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 07:37:33 AM »
Get'em both :) The sales are on this weekend :D
I have two set ups. The one is with a Polar (bbs), the other with a Scumco (PS). Love em both. I have been skated the bbs board for almost two months now and it still feels super solid and good (except the razered tail). I prefer the mellow shape and the lightness of the PS board but it definitley doesn't haave a crisp pop after the second week, buuut if you got them on sale i would definitly buy again.

downtodevin

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 07:50:09 AM »
Get'em both :) The sales are on this weekend :D
I have two set ups. The one is with a Polar (bbs), the other with a Scumco (PS). Love em both. I have been skated the bbs board for almost two months now and it still feels super solid and good (except the razered tail). I prefer the mellow shape and the lightness of the PS board but it definitley doesn't haave a crisp pop after the second week, buuut if you got them on sale i would definitly buy again.

That’s good advice. Being and adult has its perks.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 08:37:22 AM »
Whatever you do, don’t try making your own unless you know what you’re doing.  I tried making my own and it was like 60 lbs and super lumpy.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

downtodevin

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
Whatever you do, don’t try making your own unless you know what you’re doing.  I tried making my own and it was like 60 lbs and super lumpy.

You tried making your own deck? Impressive!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 10:13:52 AM »
You should save your purchase anxiety for your truck choice.

downtodevin

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »
You should save your purchase anxiety for your truck choice.

I mean it is here too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1616
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:41 AM »
Don't forget to consider your shoe size and length of your shin in choosing a board....

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 898
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
Don't forget to consider your shoe size and length of your shin in choosing a board....
haven't heard that one, whats the deal with that?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
sorry for the off-top but while we are on the bbs/ps stix topic could anybody here tell me what length would a 32.25 ps approximattely be if they measured the boards the same way bbs does? i ordered two snack decks that the website said were 32.125 which i was sure would be under 32 in bbs sizing but after doing some research on other websites it turned out that they actually were 32.25 and i’m not so sure about that. thanks in advance.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 08:23:04 AM »
sorry for the off-top but while we are on the bbs/ps stix topic could anybody here tell me what length would a 32.25 ps approximattely be if they measured the boards the same way bbs does? i ordered two snack decks that the website said were 32.125 which i was sure would be under 32 in bbs sizing but after doing some research on other websites it turned out that they actually were 32.25 and i’m not so sure about that. thanks in advance.

I’d guess, guess, about .5” less than listed. So if they say 32.25, tip to tip, I’m guessing (emphasis), 31.75 ish.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2021, 08:29:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d guess, guess, about .5” less than listed. So if they say 32.25, tip to tip, I’m guessing (emphasis), 31.75 ish.

thanks. i was guessing that it’s something like .25 less but if that’s the case then it worked out for the better because 31.75 is the shortest i can do. hopefully it will be a little longer, like a 31.9 or something

al_cvbrera

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2021, 09:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
my guess is it has to do with the amount of distance your leg has to travel in order to achieve a proper flick. it makes sense. thats actually a really good tip.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2021, 10:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
my guess is it has to do with the amount of distance your leg has to travel in order to achieve a proper flick. it makes sense. thats actually a really good tip.

also combined with so many other factors like fingers of flat on the nose, how short ur femur is, pop angle etc but dont sweat it
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2021, 04:10:02 AM »
At least starting back again with total deck / product madness is not a bad thing.

Developing it later on is another thing entirely.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -79
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2021, 04:06:01 AM »
Make it easy on yourself and get a Krooked or something bbs with a standard shape/medium concave. Start at 8.25 with 149’s and go up from there if you want (8.38/8.5). I say bbs first since there will be less question or issue of the boards performance.

I have multiple ps and bbs setup and switch mid sesh no issue. I actually like the flex and find the bbs to be too stiff at times. Each have their own qualms. Bbs been putting out stuff with misaligned holes forever. Ps has issues of warping. Don’t order online lol. Also bbs have varying concaves for the same boards/graphics due to their pressing in stacks process. Ps have less consistent concave/shape than that, so I tend to truly feel out and compare the ones I choose, whereas the bbs are pretty standard, other than concave depth.