Author Topic: Toy Machine and Foundation suck now  (Read 24506 times)

manysnakes

Re: Toy Machine and Foundation suck now
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2024, 09:08:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
cool thing about life is you can just ignore the things you dont like and focus on the things you do without sounding like a big weenie who complains about things out of their control.
[close]

But the brand with which I personally identified as a teenager has changed!!!
[close]

But it’s like Fugazi making car commercial music - it just feels so dissonant.   Cordero is like the biggest jock in skating and having him on toy just makes no sense.   Why didn’t disorder grab him?   Yeto famously pays peanuts
[close]

I never bought a Fugazi Tech Deck at Walmart.
[close]

tHISiSNOTa
FUGAZI
tEchDECK

lol
lmao

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2024, 09:46:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
cool thing about life is you can just ignore the things you dont like and focus on the things you do without sounding like a big weenie who complains about things out of their control.
[close]

But the brand with which I personally identified as a teenager has changed!!!
[close]

But it’s like Fugazi making car commercial music - it just feels so dissonant.   Cordero is like the biggest jock in skating and having him on toy just makes no sense.   Why didn’t disorder grab him?   Yeto famously pays peanuts
[close]

I never bought a Fugazi Tech Deck at Walmart.
[close]

tHISiSNOTa
FUGAZI
tEchDECK

sinclair funneling Nike talent through tum yeto. Also, he's 19, and may genuinely think Toy is cool.

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2024, 02:49:20 PM »
My last deck was a Toy Machine and I thought it was an amazing deck.. they have had a solid team for decades.. I think this is a bad take.. Companies have waves of coolness. Little kids buying Tech Decks still like these brands. I wouldn't count them out.
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1465
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2024, 03:02:21 PM »
Is there any truth to this Toy x Supreme collab rumor?

corey websturd

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2024, 02:49:22 AM »
It's been ages since I haven't ridden a Toy Machine but In early 2000 I had a bunch and they were awesome.
What did really change?Just their image or the wood?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2024, 04:37:18 AM »
what was the deal with that one dan lu board with art done by some sex pest a few years back?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2024, 04:56:55 AM »
The Toy Machine board I bought during the pandemic was the worst quality skateboard I’ve bought in my entire life
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2024, 06:10:56 AM »
Foundation itself has always been wack, despite having amazing riders at various points whom they always seem to prematurely discard. Merlino's switch Ollie at El Toro is one of the great all-time tricks. Toy has had a lot of highs and lows. Josh's tre was a high. Welcome to Hell was untouchable. Jump off a Building was pretty sick. Trapasso in Suffer was fucking gold. Shit has been about dead since then. Toy used to have a soul, but now it's dead. Foundation never had a soul. Now they're the same soulless thing. All their riders deserve better. But you could probably say the same thing about every company, besides the Deluxe brands, Baker/DW, Palace, and Jerry's thing.

fastlane

• Rep: -4
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2024, 06:20:58 AM »
Foundation itself has always been wack, despite having amazing riders at various points whom they always seem to prematurely discard. Merlino's switch Ollie at El Toro is one of the great all-time tricks. Toy has had a lot of highs and lows. Josh's tre was a high. Welcome to Hell was untouchable. Jump off a Building was pretty sick. Trapasso in Suffer was fucking gold. Shit has been about dead since then. Toy used to have a soul, but now it's dead. Foundation never had a soul. Now they're the same soulless thing. All their riders deserve better. But you could probably say the same thing about every company, besides the Deluxe brands, Baker/DW, Palace, and Jerry's thing.

Founddation has a soul. They've never been the coolest, they've never had the best, they've never been that popular. But they've never given up. And that what living is all about.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1409
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2024, 07:41:52 AM »
what was the deal with that one dan lu board with art done by some sex pest a few years back?

I think it was a whole board series, could be mistaken. The artist's name is Lister - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/sydney-artist-anthony-lister-faces-court/12070438

Pretty awful. I remember seeing a Dollin 7 Day Weekend video where he hung out with this creep, doing drugs or whatever in his studio.

mikevsleftlightningtat

• Rep: -7
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2024, 07:59:22 AM »

Lol at your claim of Foundation never having a soul, cataclysmic abyss still gets talked about today. Gonna go sit in the corner and ponder how palace ended up on your soul list and somehow not knowing the name of “Jerry’s thing”

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1220
  • old and in the way
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2024, 10:25:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was a whole board series, could be mistaken. The artist's name is Lister - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-19/sydney-artist-anthony-lister-faces-court/12070438

Pretty awful. I remember seeing a Dollin 7 Day Weekend video where he hung out with this creep, doing drugs or whatever in his studio.

His work is terrible and his instagram self description is “art world bad boy”.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -233
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2024, 03:47:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Founddation has a soul. They've never been the coolest, they've never had the best, they've never been that popular. But they've never given up. And that what living is all about.

Foundation may have one of the low key smartest names in skateboarding, being named after Isaac Asimov’s series of novels.

Kind of funny Corey Glick has ridden for two science fiction inspired board sponsors in a row.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Buttworm

• Rep: 47
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2024, 03:55:52 PM »

You sound deluded, almost moronic.

Describing a flat switch Ollie down a set of stairs as ‘one of the all time great tricks’ says it all really.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2024, 04:01:38 PM »
Buddy obviously wasn’t skating when That’s Life came out.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2024, 05:24:44 PM »
Gotta be one of the goofiest things I’ve heard I. Here all week, to say Foundation never had a soul. Art Bars? That’s Life? CA?? All deemed classic videos, all windows in time to what those eras of skating. Shimizu’s smooth and tasteful style in Arts Bars/That’s Life, Mike Rusczyk being totally different than the entire team but still fitting cohesively with the videos and being a nice break between the gnarliness. Duffel being the flag bearer for around 15 years and being the heart of the entire operation. I stopped paying complete attention to Foundation years ago but to say they’ve never had a soul means you either have a bias or just never paid attention to them.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 117
« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2024, 11:11:30 AM »
This ryan hamburg guy is pro for them, but its never been announced lol ......https://foskco.com/ryan-hamburg-star-moon-8-75.html

there's 14 different Dakota pro boards available...

glick has 9 boards still available. imagine if he was told to wait for his boards to sell before he left for sci fi.he would waiting for 40 years

MongoSwitchIsIllegal

• Rep: -6
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2024, 05:00:47 PM »

For real Foundation was one of my favorite brands from That's Life until Cataclysmic Abyss. I put that Era of Foundation up there with Girl, Baker, Zero, etc.
Wu Wei - The Art of Doing Nothing - Effortless Action

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2024, 05:09:36 PM »
no way this is happening

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 117
« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2024, 05:21:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For real Foundation was one of my favorite brands from That's Life until Cataclysmic Abyss. I put that Era of Foundation up there with Girl, Baker, Zero, etc.

That era of foundation wouldn't even be in the same stratosphere of those other mentioned companies imo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2024, 12:10:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Gotta be one of the goofiest things I’ve heard I. Here all week, to say Foundation never had a soul. Art Bars? That’s Life? CA?? All deemed classic videos, all windows in time to what those eras of skating. Shimizu’s smooth and tasteful style in Arts Bars/That’s Life, Mike Rusczyk being totally different than the entire team but still fitting cohesively with the videos and being a nice break between the gnarliness. Duffel being the flag bearer for around 15 years and being the heart of the entire operation. I stopped paying complete attention to Foundation years ago but to say they’ve never had a soul means you either have a bias or just never paid attention to them.
Saying that Foundation never had a soul is probably one of the most stupid things I've ever read in this forum.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2024, 04:47:31 AM »
Even when they were sponsoring Gareth Stehr, Foundation always had a few people who should have been on a company that did something with them. Or maybe they should have done something with themselves.

Shoutout Tony Silva, Mike Rusczyk, Tommy Gurrola, Aidan Whatever that should have been on Girl, and T Spliff.

Also shout out to Jon West.

If you know most of these dudes names, your knees and back hurt.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

alienlurkshop

• Rep: -30
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2024, 06:23:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
no way this is happening

It is 100 percent happening

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2024, 09:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
no way this is happening
[close]

Tyshawn back to Toy?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2024, 10:22:14 AM »
Even when they were sponsoring Gareth Stehr, Foundation always had a few people who should have been on a company that did something with them. Or maybe they should have done something with themselves.

Shoutout Tony Silva, Mike Rusczyk, Tommy Gurrola, Aidan Whatever that should have been on Girl, and T Spliff.

100% accurate.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 320
« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2024, 01:17:09 PM »

Jon West in Art Bars is forever burned into my memory.

My stupid 14 year old self emailed him asking about getting into film and he replied back with tons of excellent advice.

Will never forget that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 06:08:20 PM by hiljentaa »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2024, 07:05:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jon West in Art Bars is forever burned into my memory.

My stupid 14 year old self emailed him asking about getting into film and he replied back with tons of excellent advice.

Will never forget that.

That’s so rad. That Art Bars part is perfect on so many levels. Change a bit of the feel or whatever and it could work in Photo. An artsy part on the level of Dills but actually ripping really fucking hard instead of doing kick turns in New Orleans and gesturing in a cowboy hat in a gas station. 
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 130
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2024, 08:04:50 AM »
i grew up skating in san diego in the late 90's so am no stranger to prime era yeto nostalgia.

the painkiller video was the last i heard of zero and that video just made me vaguely sad.

by direct comparison with zero - i personally think foundation and toy have lived close to as dignified post-relevancy lives as you can ask for from 'youth market brands' that have been around for over thirty fucking years. remember how fucking breathtakingly irrelevant powell was by the late 90's? both foskco and toy are now far older than powell was at that time. i think foskco's videos and team(s) from the last several years have been great, so i'm almost glad they transitioned into a AA minor league farm team if it means recapturing a lost 'purity' to it. and so long as toy sponsors a leo or a hoban for every sweatband jockey i'm okay with them hanging in there just long enough to ca$h in on the 90's nostalgia trend of late.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2024, 07:14:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
no way this is happening
[close]

i take it back!

not something i could ever wear, but a welcome to hell zip hoodie sweater is a cool piece ngl

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2024, 09:05:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
no way this is happening
[close]

[close]
i take it back!

not something i could ever wear, but a welcome to hell zip hoodie sweater is a cool piece ngl

lol  tyshawn was on toy machine flow but i think he was always on supreme. i might be tripping but i swear i saw a really old photo of tyshawn as a grom with a toy board with a supreme sticker.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[