Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 97082 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1046
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #2100 on: June 09, 2024, 08:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Today I am confused. Been skating a lot, same setup for two weeks (imagine!) but to fix a [minor] problem with my slappys, I took them off.

Sooooo of course them being off the madness said "Hey, Pssst....Ventures..." so on a whim (and wanting a bit more stabilty) I set up cast 5.6 hollows/stock reds w/flat washers...and swapped out 52mm 103a v5 STFs for 53mm v1 x99s (because my feet hurt from my shoes)...aaaaaand no change.

It felt [nearly] the same (barring the wheel duro), trucks are close in height (53.9 vs 53.5) and the V1s are probably closer to 52 by now, so board height is probably a wash...but I didn't notice any major difference in turn other than more stabilty. Weird.

It's been a minute x99->101 spit/103a stfs ->93a spit-> 103a stfs and I am (re)impressed with x99s the bark is way better than I remember.
[close]

i relate.

my current confusion/madness:

found a setup that i really like. still skating meh, but the board feels nice. my confused consumerism is telling me to buy a few more of the deck, and a lighter version of the trucks, slightly smaller set of the wheels.
i could just not. we’ll see.

I don't see any of that being 'wrong' unless you are sitting on a ton of gear. If you think lighter parts will help, maybe it will (or won't ;)).

Is the deck hard to come by? If yes, grab one, if no...don't. They you will want to set it up well before the old one is done =D

I'm in a similar boat with the twin VX deck I'm riding (they are getting a bit scarce but the next drop is about to hit, then I'll decide); 'least it's a twin so the wear is super even and it isn't going to sog out anytime soon. Worst part is my madness was right on the money with board feel (VX/DSM/Crail vs BBS/PS), stepped on a few of the homies boards and one I have setup, all BSS...and man what a difference. Not sure I can (or want to) go back...even regular DSM wood might not be up to par now.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
« Reply #2101 on: June 09, 2024, 08:33:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Today I am confused. Been skating a lot, same setup for two weeks (imagine!) but to fix a [minor] problem with my slappys, I took them off.

Sooooo of course them being off the madness said "Hey, Pssst....Ventures..." so on a whim (and wanting a bit more stabilty) I set up cast 5.6 hollows/stock reds w/flat washers...and swapped out 52mm 103a v5 STFs for 53mm v1 x99s (because my feet hurt from my shoes)...aaaaaand no change.

It felt [nearly] the same (barring the wheel duro), trucks are close in height (53.9 vs 53.5) and the V1s are probably closer to 52 by now, so board height is probably a wash...but I didn't notice any major difference in turn other than more stabilty. Weird.

It's been a minute x99->101 spit/103a stfs ->93a spit-> 103a stfs and I am (re)impressed with x99s the bark is way better than I remember.
[close]

i relate.

found a setup that i really like. still skating meh, but the board feels nice. my confused consumerism is telling me to buy a few more of the deck, and a lighter version of the trucks, slightly smaller set of the wheels.
[close]

I don't see any of that being 'wrong' unless you are sitting on a ton of gear. If you think lighter parts will help, maybe it will (or won't ;)).

Is the deck hard to come by? If yes, grab one, if no...don't. They you will want to set it up well before the old one is done =D

I'm in a similar boat with the twin VX deck I'm riding (they are getting a bit scarce but the next drop is about to hit, then I'll decide); 'least it's a twin so the wear is super even and it isn't going to sog out anytime soon. Worst part is my madness was right on the money with board feel (VX/DSM/Crail vs BBS/PS), stepped on a few of the homies boards and one I have setup, all BSS...and man what a difference. Not sure I can (or want to) go back...even regular DSM wood might not be up to par now.

vx is that good!?

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 338
« Reply #2102 on: June 09, 2024, 11:22:42 PM »

Throwing it out there once again: best wheel ever?

Ozu50

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2103 on: June 10, 2024, 03:03:17 AM »
Hello everyone,

Let me start this off by prefacing that I pretty much only skate 8.38 somewhat mellow boards with Thunders, hence the silly question.

I've got myself a pair of 149 stage XIs and a pair of 5.8 V-Lights to match with a mellow Toy board and a steeper Alltimers deck, both 8.5s but the Alltimers is a hair longer in both length and wb.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best possible combinations to end up having a nice tranny setup and a chunkier deck for whenever I feel like skating the taller hubbas and down rails at my local and am curious to know what you'd do!

Gleefull508

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2104 on: June 10, 2024, 05:40:59 AM »
Hello everyone,

Let me start this off by prefacing that I pretty much only skate 8.38 somewhat mellow boards with Thunders, hence the silly question.

I've got myself a pair of 149 stage XIs and a pair of 5.8 V-Lights to match with a mellow Toy board and a steeper Alltimers deck, both 8.5s but the Alltimers is a hair longer in both length and wb.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best possible combinations to end up having a nice tranny setup and a chunkier deck for whenever I feel like skating the taller hubbas and down rails at my local and am curious to know what you'd do!

My opinion is dont use 3 different setups its just gonna mess you up. but if you just doing it for fun and something different to spice things up then go for it. indys on the longer board

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2105 on: June 10, 2024, 08:16:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i relate.

[close]

[close]

vx is that good!?

If you like stiff/crispy wood (which I have since the P2 days) then yes; it makes everything else feel waterlogged/dead.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2106 on: June 10, 2024, 08:24:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i relate.

[close]

[close]

vx is that good!?
[close]

If you like stiff/crispy wood (which I have since the P2 days) then yes; it makes everything else feel waterlogged/dead.

damn.
stiff boards for me, end up being the best, or the worst, and sometimes both of those distinctions pop up in the same session. maybe a better way for me to express it would be that something about the super stiff led to a difference in the pop timing? or something around there, and i’d either whiff in a way that was shocking, or crack the highest nollie of my life.

i’ve managed to stay away from the composite boards for the last 10+ years, in part because i’ve never really been drawn to the shapes on them.
what’s your fave vx shape?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2107 on: June 10, 2024, 11:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i relate.

[close]

[close]

vx is that good!?
[close]

[close]

damn.
stiff boards for me, end up being the best, or the worst, and sometimes both of those distinctions pop up in the same session. maybe a better way for me to express it would be that something about the super stiff led to a difference in the pop timing? or something around there, and i’d either whiff in a way that was shocking, or crack the highest nollie of my life.

i’ve managed to stay away from the composite boards for the last 10+ years, in part because i’ve never really been drawn to the shapes on them.

It's all about the pop with these for me - super loud crack on the snap - I wouldn't skate one if I was a manual skater tho (unless free) easy razor tail. Better shape and less flexy than Flights.

SC-365 (It's McCoy's shape, Asp skates it as well). It's nearly identical to the new 8.25" DW Foy (more mellow all around).

Medium Concave/Twin/rounded/full

8.25 x 31.83
14.22WB
6.71 kicks (on the steeper side but not crazy)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2108 on: June 10, 2024, 12:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i relate.

[close]

[close]

vx is that good!?
[close]

[close]

damn.

[close]

It's all about the pop with these for me - super loud crack on the snap - I wouldn't skate one if I was a manual skater tho (unless free) easy razor tail. Better shape and less flexy than Flights.

SC-365 (It's McCoy's shape, Asp skates it as well). It's nearly identical to the new 8.25" DW Foy (more mellow all around).

8.25 x 31.83
14.22WB

specs look good
put hands on a foy twin at the shop, cannot remember the width, but the shape looked nice

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2109 on: June 10, 2024, 05:57:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i relate.

[close]

[close]

vx is that good!?
[close]

[close]

damn.

[close]

8.25 x 31.83
14.22WB
[close]

specs look good
put hands on a foy twin at the shop, cannot remember the width, but the shape looked nice

The best thing about the foy twins (and this specific Santa cruz) is that there is nothing special about the shape at all (compared to say, the SSect twins opera or even the crail twins). It's just 'normal' like taking a blue eagle and twinifying it.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2110 on: June 11, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »
For a purely mini ramp/vert setup, would heavier trucks be better cause they have more momentum?

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Thinking for the fastest mini setup I should do

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2111 on: June 11, 2024, 09:07:35 PM »
For a purely mini ramp/vert setup, would heavier trucks be better cause they have more momentum?

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?

i dunno about 101s on a ‘ramp’….sounds icy.
i dunno about ramps. i’m terrible.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2112 on: June 11, 2024, 09:48:45 PM »

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?

If you can tell the difference betwen regular vs hollow or ceramics vs six balls based on speed on a mini ramp, you should be studied for science.

Your normal setup seems fine? Does it feel slow? If you are looking to go faster get bigger wheels first? Sure 101s will be faster bit that depends on the mini/vert surfaces.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #2113 on: June 12, 2024, 02:23:19 AM »
Before I even got back here I was like uhhh if I can tell the difference I'd be surprised

I was just sorting through a pile of stuff I don't use, that included a set of 101's, ceramics, and standard af1's and I damn near set it up, for mini ramp science

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2114 on: June 12, 2024, 07:37:18 AM »

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?

Don't solve for problems that don't (yet) exist. Take your normal set-up to a mini ramp. Skate it. Skate it a lot. Then, and only then, start to think about what you may want to change.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2020
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2115 on: June 12, 2024, 08:26:16 AM »
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

Don't solve for problems that don't (yet) exist. Take your normal set-up to a mini ramp. Skate it. Skate it a lot. Then, and only then, start to think about what you may want to change.

Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

In all honesty I'm guilty of solving hypothetical problems that I don't have yet. I definitely need a dedicated slappy setup for my once per quarter slappy session that lasts 15 minutes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 906
« Reply #2116 on: June 12, 2024, 08:33:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

In all honesty I'm guilty of solving hypothetical problems that I don't have yet. I definitely need a dedicated slappy setup for my once per quarter slappy session that lasts 15 minutes.

Agreed all around. The good thing about mini ramps is, any set up will work. That was the point of mini ramps in a way. A vert and street meeting ground. Even in the BPSW days, mini ramps were a go. I miss mini ramps.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2117 on: June 12, 2024, 08:50:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Agreed all around. The good thing about mini ramps is, any set up will work. That was the point of mini ramps in a way. A vert and street meeting ground. Even in the BPSW days, mini ramps were a go. I miss mini ramps.

hahahahha! @Sedition is coming way too reasonable. i feel like they are on the way of their madness, like for them it’s a few times a year itch, and they already know the outcome.

yeah….i cannot skate transition, haven’t really ever tried tbh. it kinda went from parking lots, to gnarly overhead pits. i just don’t have eye for it. vaguely on the goals list.
i have ALWAYS wanted a backyard mini tho. not even to go full trick mode, but i feel like an hour of axle stalls would be soothing.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2118 on: June 12, 2024, 08:55:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

hahahahha! @Sedition is coming way too reasonable. i feel like they are on the way of their madness, like for them it’s a few times a year itch, and they already know the outcome.

yeah….i cannot skate transition, haven’t really ever tried tbh. it kinda went from parking lots, to gnarly overhead pits. i just don’t have eye for it. vaguely on the goals list.
i have ALWAYS wanted a backyard mini tho. not even to go full trick mode, but i feel like an hour of axle stalls would be soothing.

Unrelated: I have a 4' tall, 20' wide, metal mini near me...and it's the best thing, ever.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

rikki

• Rep: 338
« Reply #2119 on: June 12, 2024, 09:12:13 AM »
Mini ramp seshs with the homies are the funnest thing.

With regards to bearings: generating and maintaining speed on a mini is 90% skill, 10% bearings. Get your technique right first.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #2120 on: June 12, 2024, 09:14:51 AM »
Thanks for telling me to skate the ramp I skate every day lol

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2121 on: June 12, 2024, 09:27:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Unrelated: I have a 4' tall, 20' wide, metal mini near me...and it's the best thing, ever.

We need more mini ramps in this damn world.

Enough giant bowls and stair sets already.

*Shakes fist at sky*

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2122 on: June 12, 2024, 10:55:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

We need more mini ramps in this damn world.

Enough giant bowls and stair sets already.

*Shakes fist at sky*

^ F A C T S.

swongolianbbq

« Reply #2123 on: June 12, 2024, 11:16:01 AM »
Mini ramps with wide decks... And couches. And extensions with pool coping 😉

There was this fun ramp in a field in Montana but they tore it down 😕

The one by my house now is alright though. If it's not dominated by 300 scooter kids who are all probably better skiers than me

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 906
« Reply #2124 on: June 12, 2024, 02:03:55 PM »
If I still drank beer it would be on an old couch on a mini ramp platform. Actually, this might be my heaven...

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 105
« Reply #2125 on: June 12, 2024, 05:53:32 PM »
So the fall/winter I experimented with long wheelbases, lately I’ve been skating true fits (13.75). Honestly I could skate all of them totally fine, they all had great advantages and disadvantages. The true fit feels amazing (except I get a little scared landing flip tricks) but I think after a few months of experimentation I’m going back to 8.5/14.25wb (the shape I’ve been skating for three years).

The experiment was awesome and actually helped me learn some new tricks. That being said once I got into the true fit I started stressing about skating a special shape and decided to stay with a shape I can always get.

Posting this here so I have it in writing once the madness comes back.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2126 on: June 12, 2024, 08:51:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That sounds amazing (metal be damned).

swongolianbbq

« Reply #2127 on: June 12, 2024, 09:13:34 PM »
So the fall/winter I experimented with long wheelbases, lately I’ve been skating true fits (13.75). Honestly I could skate all of them totally fine, they all had great advantages and disadvantages. The true fit feels amazing (except I get a little scared landing flip tricks) but I think after a few months of experimentation I’m going back to 8.5/14.25wb (the shape I’ve been skating for three years).

The experiment was awesome and actually helped me learn some new tricks. That being said once I got into the true fit I started stressing about skating a special shape and decided to stay with a shape I can always get.

Posting this here so I have it in writing once the madness comes back.

I'm with ya on that, I would hate to get used to something that isn't gonna be readily available(I say that as I skate an easy rider 8.5...).

The baker 8.25 mellow is my perma-jam tho

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2128 on: June 12, 2024, 09:59:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My normal shit is

Ace hollows
Spitfire 99s
Six balls

Regular aces
Spitfire 101s
Ceramics

Thoughts?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That sounds amazing (metal be damned).

It gets •stupid• hot in the summer. We call it The Sizzler.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2129 on: June 12, 2024, 10:41:07 PM »
Probably the slappiest thing I've ever read.