Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 97739 times)

skatebruh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #2130 on: June 16, 2024, 11:09:46 AM »
Wide wheels or narrow wheels for crooked grinds?

Do I want the wide wheels for more pinch/wheelbite?

Or do I want the narrow wheels for more room on the truck?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2131 on: June 16, 2024, 11:40:09 AM »

IMHO, wide wheels only serve two real functions: (1) Traction, and (2) Smoother ride, if on crust.

If you are not concerned with either of those, normal to narrow size is the way to go.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2132 on: June 16, 2024, 12:52:21 PM »
Wide wheels provide a more consistent slide because your weight is distributed across a larger surface area. Better for locking in on a crooked grind, especially if conical shaped vs classic.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2133 on: June 16, 2024, 03:08:48 PM »
Better for locking in on a crooked grind, especially if conical shaped vs classic.

I would say the exact opposite. Same with Smith, Feeble, etc.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1081
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2134 on: June 16, 2024, 04:31:58 PM »

Re wheels and different sizes and shapes:

I think people have developed a sense of what they prefer and what works for them, which can easily be at odds with others, so some people will prefer Classic or rounded wheels on a lot of things, others prefer a sharper edge or lock in feeling, without any specific names of wheel brands or whatever esle, there are a lot out there, some really squared off, but I guess Spitfire shapes do often come to mind, eg Lock Ins, OG Classics, Conical shapes.

There is a guy I skate with who has 52 Classics on an 8.25 board and 60 mm Conical Full wheels on an 8.75 board and he can do the same things on each, just saying it depends more on the hanger width as to what worked better, eg shorter hanger and rounded wheels, wider hanger and big square wheels, so that is something that might be not what people want to hear, but it definitely is something to think about too.

People like Ben de Gros say smaller rounder wheels work best, but again he is on smaller trucks.

Those GX and other dudes riding those big fat whatever shape Conical Full 60 mm wheels seem to have no problem doing anything including grinds as mentioned above, so technique might prevail over specific shapes in that regard, even location having something to do with it as well, eg crusty street spots, compared to nice easy skateparks or your own flat bar or similar.

That's my take on it anyway, so I guess there is not a definitive right or wrong answer with wheels for this one, but my comparatively lazy slow skating feels a lot easier on rounded edge wheels, which is why I get swapped in Conical Full wheels and round the edges off some to make them feel way more comfortable for me, otherwise I would be on Classic (full) or Radial shapes more than anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2135 on: June 16, 2024, 11:42:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

IMHO, wide wheels only serve two real functions: (1) Traction, and (2) Smoother ride, if on crust.

If you are not concerned with either of those, normal to narrow size is the way to go.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2136 on: June 17, 2024, 01:26:46 AM »

I think people have developed a sense of what they prefer and what works for them, which can easily be at odds with others, so some people will prefer Classic or rounded wheels on a lot of things, others prefer a sharper edge or lock in feeling, without any specific names of wheel brands or whatever esle, there are a lot out there, some really squared off, but I guess Spitfire shapes do often come to mind, eg Lock Ins, OG Classics, Conical shapes.

There is a guy I skate with who has 52 Classics on an 8.25 board and 60 mm Conical Full wheels on an 8.75 board and he can do the same things on each, just saying it depends more on the hanger width as to what worked better, eg shorter hanger and rounded wheels, wider hanger and big square wheels, so that is something that might be not what people want to hear, but it definitely is something to think about too.

People like Ben de Gros say smaller rounder wheels work best, but again he is on smaller trucks.

Those GX and other dudes riding those big fat whatever shape Conical Full 60 mm wheels seem to have no problem doing anything including grinds as mentioned above, so technique might prevail over specific shapes in that regard, even location having something to do with it as well, eg crusty street spots, compared to nice easy skateparks or your own flat bar or similar.

That's my take on it anyway, so I guess there is not a definitive right or wrong answer with wheels for this one, but my comparatively lazy slow skating feels a lot easier on rounded edge wheels, which is why I get swapped in Conical Full wheels and round the edges off some to make them feel way more comfortable for me, otherwise I would be on Classic (full) or Radial shapes more than anything else.

I’ve thought about this a lot as well, I like to add my 2 cents…having lived in the Bay for quite some time, I’m convinced these guys figured the bigger wheels with wider contact patches allow them to skate the extremely rough and uneven pavement and riding surfaces in the city. Then they just adapted how to make them work for tricks, because without those wheels, lots of those spots are borderline, if not completely un-skatable for smaller traditional street set-ups. I believe bigger wheels unlocked the spots, so to speak.

Maybe it’s totally off base, but when I was a bit younger and skated city street spots, that’s how I adapted, although I’m nowhere near “good” like GX.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
« Reply #2137 on: June 17, 2024, 09:42:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve thought about this a lot as well, I like to add my 2 cents…having lived in the Bay for quite some time, I’m convinced these guys figured the bigger wheels with wider contact patches allow them to skate the extremely rough and uneven pavement and riding surfaces in the city. Then they just adapted how to make them work for tricks, because without those wheels, lots of those spots are borderline, if not completely un-skatable for smaller traditional street set-ups. I believe bigger wheels unlocked the spots, so to speak.

Maybe it’s totally off base, but when I was a bit younger and skated city street spots, that’s how I adapted, although I’m nowhere near “good” like GX.

the softer formulas do some unlocking as well, i think.

i’ve been skating f4 56 99a radial fulls, because the small old town i live in has horrible pavement, and they work pretty well, and i still can’t do good tricks but at least i call roll. definitely gx inspired choice, but its….there’s this one picture of a very rotund older fellow, euro ish looking, in full cycling kit, as a tour de france (i think, but it could’ve been the giro or some other race). aaaaanyways, i feel like that guy: i’m not gx-ing shit. imma drag that foot for sure. i skate slow.

on flat rough asphalt, a setup with x97s (skinny 52s), rolled as well as the 56s (in a entirely ‘feels like’/opposite of science type of way).

one of the more tech gx dudes mentioned riding something like 55 conical fulls, to be able to skate more of the city.
my favorite skating era’s were like trilogy, ryde or die, pjwhl, mouse, shit like that. basically small boards and small wheels. looking at these huge wheels is kinda gross/kinky.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2138 on: June 17, 2024, 10:19:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

+1, its called "Classic" for a reason and survived basically every era of modern skateboarding

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2139 on: June 17, 2024, 03:15:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Better for locking in on a crooked grind, especially if conical shaped vs classic.
[close]

Would you also say that a tool with a rounded surface is better for mountain climbing than an edged tool?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 03:35:11 PM by Firebert »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #2140 on: June 17, 2024, 03:26:35 PM »
I personally prefer classics over a square edge wheel for pinched grinds on sharp ledges, and round rails (crooked grinds, 180 nosegrinds etc). Feels like more wheel is making contact with the ledge and I'm able to sit on the grind with a little more stability.

But if the ledge is really rough and rounded, or I'm skating a really wide pipe style flatbar, I feel like square edge wheels pinch and hold you in a bit better whereas classics have a tendency to slip out into noseslide/tailslide or whatever.

Don't think its as clear cut as locking in on a 5050 or something where the difference is much more straightforward

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2141 on: June 17, 2024, 03:36:49 PM »
I personally prefer classics over a square edge wheel for pinched grinds on sharp ledges, and round rails (crooked grinds, 180 nosegrinds etc). Feels like more wheel is making contact with the ledge and I'm able to sit on the grind with a little more stability.

But if the ledge is really rough and rounded, or I'm skating a really wide pipe style flatbar, I feel like square edge wheels pinch and hold you in a bit better whereas classics have a tendency to slip out into noseslide/tailslide or whatever.

Don't think its as clear cut as locking in on a 5050 or something where the difference is much more straightforward

are wheels your only remaining….unsettled equipment choice? like are you good on deck trucks?
it’s interesting because i used to be: ‘wheels are wheels’, mostly.
and now im some really weird trip where i am trying to skate larger wheels, and so the board and trucks need to be larger as well blah blah blah

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2142 on: June 17, 2024, 04:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

are wheels your only remaining….unsettled equipment choice? like are you good on deck trucks?
it’s interesting because i used to be: ‘wheels are wheels’, mostly.
and now im some really weird trip where i am trying to skate larger wheels, and so the board and trucks need to be larger as well blah blah blah

Lmao kind of. My madness was never that crazy (compared to others on this board), basically 14.25-14.5wb, any of the big 4 truck brands work, each with pros n cons. No super steep/square/pointy kicks. Solid cupsoles that are wide near the back and have good arch support.

Nowadays I've settled on the April 8.5, venture 5.8 cast hollows, and Jordan 1 highs with superfeet insoles and tiagos (still have some other random shoes I need to burn through first)...

So feels like all my madness has gone to wheel shape which, as much as I think about it, is splitting hairs for the most part.

Formula 4 99a works best for me. On some 55 classics right now. I think something like a 53-54 radial would be the perfect wheel for me, but I have too many random f4s I need to burn through first.

(if anybody wants to trade some new radials for new 53 classics or 54 conical fulls, hmu)

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2143 on: June 17, 2024, 04:37:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Would you also say that a tool with a rounded surface is better for mountain climbing than an edged tool?

This question presupposes knowledge about mountain climbing, of which, I have none.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2144 on: June 17, 2024, 05:35:56 PM »
current madness/shit i’m thinking about buying:

ace classic 55s
lavender ave’s
ti ventures
54 radial fulls
55 radials
buying more of the current deck i’ve got now (sort of anti madness).

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2145 on: June 17, 2024, 08:42:01 PM »
Can't get the idea of combining Venture Ti hangers with regular cast baseplates out of my head. I think I need to try that whenever I'll refresh my trucks. I've understood the cast baseplate is little bit shorter in terms of wheelbase, that combined to the 2mm added height tempts me. Also I think the grind feel/sound is different. Haven't had a cast bp in years, can't even remember how it feels. It just feels stupid to buy two sets of trucks for this kind of experiment...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 909
« Reply #2146 on: June 17, 2024, 08:46:47 PM »

ace classic 55s
lavender ave’s
ti ventures
54 radial fulls
55 radials

Need some help?

Get some Ace Classic 55s and Radial 55s and you'll be more than fine. 5 is  magic skateboarding number.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2147 on: June 17, 2024, 09:23:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So you would say a classic locks in better than lock-ins?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2148 on: June 17, 2024, 10:25:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Smiths, feebles, etc, absolutely. 50/50s, no.

rikki

• Rep: 340
« Reply #2149 on: June 18, 2024, 12:46:16 AM »

ace classic 55s
lavender ave’s
ti ventures
54 radial fulls
55 radials

55 Radials are fantastic wheels for bowl skating in my experience. And for many other types of skating, too, of course. But they are my number one hard tranny gnar wheel of choice.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2150 on: June 18, 2024, 01:00:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

If you cross pinch a 5050 on a round bar with classics you get a lil less squeal and drag than if you do the same on lock ins.

Lock ins feel way better if you're doing double heel pinch though

CarcassToss

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2151 on: June 18, 2024, 07:20:56 AM »
Can't get the idea of combining Venture Ti hangers with regular cast baseplates out of my head. I think I need to try that whenever I'll refresh my trucks. I've understood the cast baseplate is little bit shorter in terms of wheelbase, that combined to the 2mm added height tempts me. Also I think the grind feel/sound is different. Haven't had a cast bp in years, can't even remember how it feels. It just feels stupid to buy two sets of trucks for this kind of experiment...

I've lurked for a long time and before there were full hollow Ventures I think a lot of people did this to get a lighter truck. The P Rod ti Ventures were cheap/plentiful for a while to get the hangers. Not sure it's any lighter than the V Cast Hollows that are really common now.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2152 on: June 18, 2024, 09:53:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

If you cross pinch a 5050 on a round bar with classics you get a lil less squeal and drag than if you do the same on lock ins.

Less drag for sure with classics, due to the shape. Also more prone to slip off the ledge or rail due to the shape. However you are more locked in with a straight edge wheel, regardless of which trick you’re doing. Jack Olson talks about modifying his setup this way to make that gnarly kickflip feeble in his after hours part.

Easy example: If you skate a pool coping, you’ll notice that with classics, they’re more prone to pull you up on the deck, the convex edge of the wheel will climb up the coping and release you more easily than a straight edge. Great for alleviating hangups, but not the better for locking in.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2153 on: June 18, 2024, 10:23:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Less drag for sure with classics, due to the shape. Also more prone to slip off the ledge or rail due to the shape. However you are more locked in with a straight edge wheel, regardless of which trick you’re doing. Jack Olson talks about modifying his setup this way to make that gnarly kickflip feeble in his after hours part.

Easy example: If you skate a pool coping, you’ll notice that with classics, they’re more prone to pull you up on the deck, the convex edge of the wheel will climb up the coping and release you more easily than a straight edge. Great for alleviating hangups, but not the better for locking in.

Yeah thats generally true. But for me personally there are tricks that I find lock in better, or are easier to sit in, on rounded wheels vs square edge wheels. Namely any pinched grinds on sharp ledges and also stuff like crooks, suskis n stuff on round rails for some reason.

Definitely preferred my 55 classics over 55 og classics, the last two wheels I've skated. On the og classics on a sharp ledge it felt like there was only a sharp edge of the sidewall making contact with the ledge whereas on classics there was a bit more surface area making contact on a pinch, felt a lil more comfortable

If you look at this pic (i just googled crooked grind pinch lol) I think it might make sense. If you had say a tablet wheel in this pinch, there would be a sharper edge and less wheel surface area sitting on top of the ledge... whereas with the classic there's some sidewall contact that makes it a little more comfortable to sit on (assuming the ledge is sharp enough)

This is also assuming that I'm riding wheels that aren't too small, if we're talking very worn wheels, 50mm 51mm etc, then yeah classics lock much worse. But once we're in the 53-55mm territory that I've been skating, I feel like I'm getting more benefits when it comes to locking in and sitting on grinds vs drawbacks when I run round wheels vs if I was on square wheels.

Unless I'm skating a really rounded worn down ledge in which case square wheels are muchhh better.

Radials for me probably perfect middle ground but never tried em

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 909
« Reply #2154 on: June 18, 2024, 10:48:15 AM »
By the end of the year, I want to be riding updated new version of Thunder 151s, reformulated 55mm 97a F4s, on a wheel-welled Huffer in some Hemp/ Synthetic Grasshoppers.

and then,

I am sure my life will be complete. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1051
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2155 on: June 18, 2024, 10:53:59 AM »
By the end of the year, I want to be riding updated new version of Thunder 151s, reformulated 55mm 97a F4s, on a wheel-welled Huffer in some Hemp/ Synthetic Grasshoppers.

and then,

I am sure my life will be complete. 

Barring the size preferences, I'm with you.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2156 on: June 18, 2024, 11:36:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah thats generally true. But for me personally there are tricks that I find lock in better, or are easier to sit in, on rounded wheels vs square edge wheels. Namely any pinched grinds on sharp ledges and also stuff like crooks, suskis n stuff on round rails for some reason.

Definitely preferred my 55 classics over 55 og classics, the last two wheels I've skated. On the og classics on a sharp ledge it felt like there was only a sharp edge of the sidewall making contact with the ledge whereas on classics there was a bit more surface area making contact on a pinch, felt a lil more comfortable

If you look at this pic (i just googled crooked grind pinch lol) I think it might make sense. If you had say a tablet wheel in this pinch, there would be a sharper edge and less wheel surface area sitting on top of the ledge... whereas with the classic there's some sidewall contact that makes it a little more comfortable to sit on (assuming the ledge is sharp enough)

This is also assuming that I'm riding wheels that aren't too small, if we're talking very worn wheels, 50mm 51mm etc, then yeah classics lock much worse. But once we're in the 53-55mm territory that I've been skating, I feel like I'm getting more benefits when it comes to locking in and sitting on grinds vs drawbacks when I run round wheels vs if I was on square wheels.

Unless I'm skating a really rounded worn down ledge in which case square wheels are muchhh better.

Currently I'm skating Radials (99 53mm) and they're the truth.
Sir, I'm going to politely, but firmly, ask you and your common sense to leave this establishment.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2157 on: June 18, 2024, 05:54:47 PM »
I can tell you that I only ride conical fulls and OG classics is because they made crooks way easier for me, if classics made em easier, I’d use them 100% of the time, they look way better on ACE (sorry, I don’t have any recent street clips to show a rounded ledge.)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnsmgz6Ide0/?igsh=N29zcXB0aTB1ZDh2ff

« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 06:03:17 PM by Firebert »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2158 on: June 18, 2024, 10:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

1000% This. And Ben D. backs this theory, too. I do tons of feeble and smith grinds. Squared-off wheels feel like I'm dragging a sharp edge across something (e.g. during a feeble), and it sometimes catches and bucks. Whereas a Classic feels more like proper "fit" (e.g. the pinch pic above). Moreover, squared-off wheels feel like they require me to be more on top of the curb, ledge, rail, etc during a feeble, and Classics allow more of a "side" sit, which works/feels way better for me. In my experience, Classics are far superior for any pinch type grind (hurricane, feeble, smith, krook) type grind.

"Your millage, of course, may vary."   

EDIT: This pic is also sending my OCD off the charts because of the green, gold, and red hardware color mix.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2159 on: June 19, 2024, 12:59:01 AM »
I can tell you that I only ride conical fulls and OG classics is because they made crooks way easier for me, if classics made em easier, I’d use them 100% of the time, they look way better on ACE (sorry, I don’t have any recent street clips to show a rounded ledge.)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnsmgz6Ide0/?igsh=N29zcXB0aTB1ZDh2ff

lmao i dont doubt you dude, nice crook

My preference for wheel shape with the most comfortable lock in is just different on certain obstacles, your mileage may vary. Also I ride ventures, venture hangers articulate much much less than ace, so that might be a factor in how the sidewall of a wheel makes contact with the ledge/curb/rail... idk

Do I really have to dig up a bunch of clips of me doing pinched grinds to prove I'm not pulling this out my ass... if I absolutely must then I will lol
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 01:38:01 AM by tzhangdox »