Author Topic: Unorthodox foot positioning  (Read 2938 times)

ejazzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 88
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Unorthodox foot positioning
« on: October 13, 2023, 12:47:56 PM »

His setup is most notable to me as of late. Anyone else got something like this going on?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Unorthodox foot positioning
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 12:54:21 PM »
My knee/ankle hurts looking at this

TheDingus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 12:59:23 PM »
Looks like a chimp

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 01:02:01 PM »
Looks so weird

mfweeno

• Rep: 39
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 01:03:30 PM »
The clip was a kickflip back tail, right? It looks like he's in a very awkward tre-flip set up.

alt dumb shit

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 01:03:57 PM »
raysa looks like shes about to ollie for both her heelflips and kickflips, even when she's doing them into stuff

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 01:49:44 PM »
Not as extreme as any of the examples in this thread, but it always weirds me out watching the current BATB’s and seeing how many of the tricks are performed with front foot over the first set of bolts.

When I used to have a huge bag of tricks, everything was front foot just before bolts.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 01:54:40 PM »
raysa looks like shes about to ollie for both her heelflips and kickflips, even when she's doing them into stuff

Jeremy Wray was always like this and Dustin Henry is now. Trips me out.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 02:05:41 PM »

His setup is most notable to me as of late. Anyone else got something like this going on?

Is that Ginwoo? I know talking shit about children is whack but I have to say I hate his style, this screenshot is a great example of that. Obviously one of the most skilled skaters ever but I do not want to watch him skate at all.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 02:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is that Ginwoo? I know talking shit about children is whack but I have to say I hate his style, this screenshot is a great example of that. Obviously one of the most skilled skaters ever but I do not want to watch him skate at all.
He might get over the little kid style and when he has I’ll be interested in seeing some of his skating

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 04:15:22 PM »

Definitely strange in 2023, but in all fairness, this is the foot placement freestylers used back in the 80s. I've seen street skaters adopt the method over the years.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 04:18:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Definitely strange in 2023, but in all fairness, this is the foot placement freestylers used back in the 80s. I've seen street skaters adopt the method over the years.

Yeah I was gonna say I thought that was relatively orthodox

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 04:37:02 PM »
Took me forever to learn 360 flips, and i partially blame Mark Appleyard for his opening line in Photosynthesis

That front foot is barely on the board, it's closer to the back of the board than the middle. He does them more traditionally in every other clip i've seen, but being a Photosynthesis kid i latched onto this one

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2023, 05:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That’s how impossibles used to be done

I’ve noticed more full foot on the back a lot more (Shane O’Neil, Dylan Jaeb)

Also the front foot invert for heelflip tricks

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2023, 06:56:06 PM »
Jeremy Wray doing every single flip trick with his foot in heelflip position was always a trip
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1732
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
Jeremy Wray doing every single flip trick with his foot in heelflip position was always a trip

I couldn't agree more. I thought it was strange how he took it so far. A few weeks ago I met him and this was how he shook my hand.

I think he just has to always take it to "11". He knows no other way.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -142
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2023, 08:06:36 PM »
Took me forever to learn 360 flips, and i partially blame Mark Appleyard for his opening line in Photosynthesis

That front foot is barely on the board, it's closer to the back of the board than the middle. He does them more traditionally in every other clip i've seen, but being a Photosynthesis kid i latched onto this one

This is the one that comes to mind whenever unorthodox setting up goes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2023, 08:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the one that comes to mind whenever unorthodox setting up goes.
We'd always call this "the penguin". In the skinny board, tight trucks, big shoes days it was kinda hard to avoid your heels touching while setting up for certain tricks if you had big feet.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2023, 08:59:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jeremy Wray was always like this and Dustin Henry is now. Trips me out.
Dollin too. It's really what people should be aspiring to do. Do any trick you want at any time no matter how your feet are.

Buster_Poosey

• Rep: 8
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2023, 09:16:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/LfgeizEz1-E?si=9FWMFWletCQfgz9x

Gideon Choi always tripped me out. Especially the last line in his trilogy part

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2023, 09:44:23 PM »
Corey Duffel is an easy choice. His front foot is on his bolts often even when ollieing onto or over tall ass shit.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2023, 10:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
He might get over the little kid style and when he has I’ll be interested in seeing some of his skating

he is never going to change the way he places and holds his feet. that's just how he skates. that style, or foot placement in particular, is ingrained in him. just because you grow up doesn't mean you completely change the way you skate and how you stand on a board.

Shuh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2023, 11:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

he is never going to change the way he places and holds his feet. that's just how he skates. that style, or foot placement in particular, is ingrained in him. just because you grow up doesn't mean you completely change the way you skate and how you stand on a board.

We will see once puberty hits

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2023, 02:05:02 AM »
Ginwoo skates like a rollerblader and looks like shit

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2023, 02:06:43 AM »
Not as extreme as any of the examples in this thread, but it always weirds me out watching the current BATB’s and seeing how many of the tricks are performed with front foot over the first set of bolts.

When I used to have a huge bag of tricks, everything was front foot just before bolts.

Jacopo does this too. Obviously to great effect. I try it sometimes, it works but you need to really squat down and pop the trick high and flick it out. Three of those and I'm tired.

Nyjah's kickflip set-up is pretty unorthodox, with just the toes on the board. Always looked awkward to me. Even with the tight trucks he has to hop into the position just before popping. Maybe it got better over the years I don't know.

pops

• Rep: 272
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2023, 02:16:20 AM »

This type of alignment/posture can be a cause of compensation for weak mucles (simply not fully grown up). Sadly, your nervous system will learn motor patterns like this and will be carried til you're adult if you dont treat it.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2023, 06:33:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

even when Ollie impossibles
First transferred over to street skating most did them like this. My guess is that if you are over 40, that’s your standard foot placement

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2023, 06:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This type of alignment/posture can be a cause of compensation for weak mucles (simply not fully grown up). Sadly, your nervous system will learn motor patterns like this and will be carried til you're adult if you dont treat it.

Ding ding ding. This is his technique. Puberty and a growth spurt is not going to change his entire technique.

ejazzle

• Rep: 88
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2023, 09:12:11 AM »
The clip was a kickflip back tail, right? It looks like he's in a very awkward tre-flip set up.
yeah the kickflip back T. But he sets up like this to do all sorts of shit. Even just a backside bigspin

Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah its Ginwoo. He's about to be 14 so I dont know how much longer you can use the "little kid style" excuse for.

When yuto first started doing the nollie bs 270s into stuff his heels would almost be touching. But he seems to have adjusted a little bit as of late.

Somehow dylan jaeb can pop to the moon with his back foot almost over top of his back wheels.