Author Topic: Can’t skate… comparable hobbies?  (Read 7385 times)

Crust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: Can’t skate… comparable hobbies?
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2024, 01:25:49 PM »
the hole that skateboarding leaves is difficult to fill with one activity....

1. get a dog - time absorbing like skateboarding.
2. Learn a instrument - like piano - you can dive in yourself for hours.
3. get a bike you can hit the street / dirtpath keep going and searching new places while getting the dog tired.
4. get a girl and learn tango argentino - its not hard to the body and you can do it 4ever - creating moves spontaneously while matching with your partner and the music is similar to creating lines.
5. learn BJJ - its a litte bit gym atmosphere -but in that meeting the guys in the park style watching and learning new moves - heelhooking the purple belt is like giving the E to the skatepark local hero with a switch varial heel flip.

Its not the same - but get you through the pain of not skating

Comparing heelhooks to switch varial flips is brilliant! Bravo @lurker_and_poster , would gnar

How long you been training? I've been training 10 years (Skating for 18) and never imagined anything could come close to the buzz of skating, but all things considered, BJJ comes fairly close.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 70
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2024, 01:38:54 PM »
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is a great one I find, especially when the weather doesn't permit skating.

The absurd amount of day-dreaming I do for tricks, spots and lines - that same creativity can is filled with BJJ.

The similarities to skateboarding are there, but in my experience I must say the most common similarity are injuries. I’m beat the hell up at the end of a week of jiujitsu. Some of my fingers are permanently crooked, fucked up knees from all the wrestling, etc.

However, it did save my lower back. When I started, I was leaving work some days as I could barely walk. All the incidental stretching from BJJ made me mobile again and I was competing in tournaments after a year. I got beat up pretty bad out there, but it was a huge win in my life.

Ninj2

• Rep: -97
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2024, 01:40:11 PM »
Just go walk around looking for spots and tag graffiti  Maybe there is a cool ditch in the woods near you that’s dried out like the pink taco and then you can turn it into a cool diy for the future drought. lol Wayne the best rapper alive. Tag all that shit. Whatever you do don’t golf. That shit is a disgusting waste of space. I wouldn’t be mad if they made all them concrete and just a giant skate park and also a tiny house village for homeless folks and maybe a target and shake shack. Fuck golf. Mexico City about to be outta water and you fools keeping the green green and drying up the Colorado River like a buncha straight up dickheads.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • sup dog
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2024, 01:57:15 PM »
Expand Quote

3. get a bike you can hit the street / dirtpath keep going and searching new places while getting the dog tired.
4. get a girl and learn tango argentino - its not hard to the body and you can do it 4ever - creating moves spontaneously while matching with your partner and the music is similar to creating lines.
5. learn BJJ - its a litte bit gym atmosphere -but in that meeting the guys in the park style watching and learning new moves - heelhooking the purple belt is like giving the E to the skatepark local hero with a switch varial heel flip.

[close]

Comparing heelhooks to switch varial flips is brilliant! Bravo @lurker_and_poster , would gnar

How long you been training? I've been training 10 years (Skating for 18) and never imagined anything could come close to the buzz of skating, but all things considered, BJJ comes fairly close.
@Crust
Don’t worry… I’m passing out Gnar-Bars like it’s Halloween.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2024, 02:00:27 PM »
Just go walk around looking for spots and tag graffiti  Maybe there is a cool ditch in the woods near you that’s dried out like the pink taco and then you can turn it into a cool diy for the future drought. lol Wayne the best rapper alive. Tag all that shit. Whatever you do don’t golf. That shit is a disgusting waste of space. I wouldn’t be mad if they made all them concrete and just a giant skate park and also a tiny house village for homeless folks and maybe a target and shake shack. Fuck golf. Mexico City about to be outta water and you fools keeping the green green and drying up the Colorado River like a buncha straight up dickheads.
@Ninj2
Naw, B.

Woods exploring sounds fun. There’s a lot of great streams (they all call them “creeks”) through here that would be fun to explore (if I had the time). Ditch hunting is big.

And no, golf is too expensive. Driving range is about all I’ll do. Disc golf… now there’s a gentlepeople’s game.

Crust

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2024, 02:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is a great one I find, especially when the weather doesn't permit skating.

The absurd amount of day-dreaming I do for tricks, spots and lines - that same creativity can is filled with BJJ.
[close]

The similarities to skateboarding are there, but in my experience I must say the most common similarity are injuries. I’m beat the hell up at the end of a week of jiujitsu. Some of my fingers are permanently crooked, fucked up knees from all the wrestling, etc.

However, it did save my lower back. When I started, I was leaving work some days as I could barely walk. All the incidental stretching from BJJ made me mobile again and I was competing in tournaments after a year. I got beat up pretty bad out there, but it was a huge win in my life.

Sick to hear about it @kookdusoleil , thanks for replying, rad to hear you compete as well.

I don't find BJJ quite as bad for injuries, but I've also fine-tuned my game around the fact that my body is absolutely f'd from years of skating. For example, I don't bother with much sleeve or lapel styles  e.g. lasso, spider guard - my fingers are absolutely perfect. I love takedowns, but use ones that rely more on timing than explosive movement, e.g. footsweeps rather than blast doubles. BJJ does load the knees like skating though, and sparring can be as gnarly as battling a trick depending on who you are against.

I found my body was more fucked from it the first 4-5 years of training as a white and blue - being more of the nail in the gym. But as a purple, and now brown, I am a bit more of the hammer, and thus come away from training not quite a beat up as before. It's still intense though.

Likewise! BJJ got me into stretching and it is an absolute gamechanger!

Rant over haha

Crust

« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2024, 02:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
@Crust
Don’t worry… I’m passing out Gnar-Bars like it’s Halloween.

Hahahaha @JM Thanks for having "my back". I'll gnar-bar you back when I can

kookdusoleil

• Have fun out there
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2024, 02:21:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sick to hear about it @kookdusoleil , thanks for replying, rad to hear you compete as well.

I don't find BJJ quite as bad for injuries, but I've also fine-tuned my game around the fact that my body is absolutely f'd from years of skating. For example, I don't bother with much sleeve or lapel styles  e.g. lasso, spider guard - my fingers are absolutely perfect. I love takedowns, but use ones that rely more on timing than explosive movement, e.g. footsweeps rather than blast doubles. BJJ does load the knees like skating though, and sparring can be as gnarly as battling a trick depending on who you are against.

I found my body was more fucked from it the first 4-5 years of training as a white and blue - being more of the nail in the gym. But as a purple, and now brown, I am a bit more of the hammer, and thus come away from training not quite a beat up as before. It's still intense though.

Rant over haha

I don’t want to turn this into a jiujitsu thread but I just want to say I’m hyped to talk about it with another skateboarder. As cool as it is, the sport does come with a certain tinge of jock/kook macho shit, but all the people I’ve met at the gym that have come from skateboarding have been mellow. Anyway, nice to meet you.

Crust

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2024, 02:58:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Rant over haha
[close]

I don’t want to turn this into a jiujitsu thread but I just want to say I’m hyped to talk about it with another skateboarder. As cool as it is, the sport does come with a certain tinge of jock/kook macho shit, but all the people I’ve met at the gym that have come from skateboarding have been mellow. Anyway, nice to meet you.

Genuinely, from my experience, I've actually seen as much, if not more kooky/macho stuff from skaters. (Different gyms, different skate scenes, I understand) Likewise, pleasure.

To redirect this thread away from a jiu-jitsu rant - Finding a hobby (indoor preferably) that doesn't rely on a sunny climate can be a key (depending where you live). Can be tricky though to find something that gives the rush of exercise and the creative outlet of skating.

I found filming/editing can is brilliant for feeding the skate brain creative release side of things.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1617
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2024, 03:40:41 PM »
To some degree, I’m at peace knowing I’ll just skate lot less and then not do it.  I’ve seen it happen with some of the best and they seem pretty happy.  COVID pushed me to skate so much, it’s been ok just acting like a normal human.  Ie. hanging with family and friends, you just have to make a list and be proactive with things….

Lostintime

• Rep: 5
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2024, 05:07:28 PM »
Riding freight trains is closest parallel to skateboarding I've found.   Getting on and/or off (especially while moving) is like landing tricks.   It's an individual endeavor but you're likely to find a crew of dedicated riders.  There's spots to search for - train yards and crew changes.   Different cars = different terrain.  You've got grainers, gondolas, good old fashioned box cars, piggy backs,48' and 53'  container wells, shit you can ride the unoccupied engines (units). Then there's the travel aspect, slams, cops, obviously the adrenaline factor is high. 
Also a lot of waiting around doing nothing, because of course sometimes skateboarding involves not skateboarding

kookdusoleil

• Have fun out there
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2024, 06:04:34 PM »
^ that might be my favorite post ever

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -76
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2024, 06:44:04 PM »
fishing really works for me, one of the things I loved most about skating was emptying my head and being completely absorbed by the act/process of skating, I get that same experience surf-casting. Fly fishing is cool too, taps even more into the creative side when you start tying your own flies.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -233
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2024, 07:01:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Rant over haha
[close]

[close]

Genuinely, from my experience, I've actually seen as much, if not more kooky/macho stuff from skaters. (Different gyms, different skate scenes, I understand) Likewise, pleasure.

To redirect this thread away from a jiu-jitsu rant - Finding a hobby (indoor preferably) that doesn't rely on a sunny climate can be a key (depending where you live). Can be tricky though to find something that gives the rush of exercise and the creative outlet of skating.

I found filming/editing can is brilliant for feeding the skate brain creative release side of things.

Let’s not forget Muay Thai.

Practical, a hell of a workout, and the accomplishment high is there.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2024, 07:05:02 PM »
Riding freight trains is closest parallel to skateboarding I've found.   Getting on and/or off (especially while moving) is like landing tricks.   It's an individual endeavor but you're likely to find a crew of dedicated riders.  There's spots to search for - train yards and crew changes.   Different cars = different terrain.  You've got grainers, gondolas, good old fashioned box cars, piggy backs,48' and 53'  container wells, shit you can ride the unoccupied engines (units). Then there's the travel aspect, slams, cops, obviously the adrenaline factor is high. 
Also a lot of waiting around doing nothing, because of course sometimes skateboarding involves not skateboarding
@Lostintime
Did you see the mini doc put out by Greg Navarro, of upper west side curb club fame?

It’s a cool look into train hopping in New York.
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2024/01/08/riding-the-subway-with-new-yorks-most-wanted-train-surfers/

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 297
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2024, 07:30:15 PM »
Dark Souls. Similar unforgiving learning curve. You'll be swearing/throwing equipment like youre at the spot in no time.

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 47
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2024, 01:12:04 AM »
ride a fixed gear bike

that fade disappeared faster than the yo-yo's in the 80's. They were everywhere in the early 2010's but after a couple years they were gone. 

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2024, 01:49:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks!
But I am still skating, having a wife and two kids - so I don’t do all this activities above frequently.
Started Judo with 5 and skating with 10.
Still skating after 36 years… I go sometimes to the open mat, or the sandbag training- have done some MT
and classic Boxing in my youth.
But not that often  once a week in winter season and 2-3 per month in summer time. I never took marterial art real seriously- it was just an alternative for skating if weather was bad - and to get some more power - like swimming once a week - but swimming is kind of boring and BJJ kind of fun.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2024, 02:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
ride a fixed gear bike
[close]

that fade disappeared faster than the yo-yo's in the 80's. They were everywhere in the early 2010's but after a couple years they were gone.

their popularity is irrelevant, i'm not talking about the goofy tricks and neon wheels

i find riding a fixed gear bike over geared or single speed way more comparable to skateboarding

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2024, 04:05:14 AM »
Swimming and mining crypto 8) I dont do any of those things though

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 544
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2024, 08:55:52 AM »
Volunteer work

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2024, 08:59:05 AM »
any hobby in which you progress and get better at is going to be comparable. skateboarding trains you to lust after the feeling of getting better at something by pushing yourself. when you can start a hobby as a complete novice and feel yourself getting better, it will give you that similar feeling to skateboarding.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2024, 09:57:59 AM »
Plein air painting is pretty fun, I started doing it 15 years ago and it’s definately an activity that you can feel progression in. But it’s no movement.

I like doing foundational exercises to strengthen my legs. I learned them all from a YouTube video called skate legs workout from the daily push. It definately has made me a better skater

Shtonk

• Rep: -594
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2024, 11:22:10 AM »

I gotta second all of that. Tagging is really very exhilarating, it's like street skating but with a lot higher legal consequences. The walking around, spot scoping and then going for it is very comparable. I'm not at all into the whole macho crew vibes, I do only political grafitti but it gives me a sense of having an effect in the world that is really a very good cure for what the current world does to decent people's psyche.

DIY and nature exploration are also tight (check "New England Forrests" on Youtube.m guy is the goat)

And FUCK GOLF straight into hell. I once took a shit on the Trump links in Western Ireland as part of an initiation ritual to be taken to a secret spot by a local crew of surfers. Still among the most satisfying things I've done in my life and I've done quite a bunch by now...

DryWilly

• Rep: 4
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2024, 11:27:21 AM »
Fixed gear is super fun and cheap.. also 👍 to fuck golf.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2348
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2024, 11:54:35 AM »
When I was a child, there was a country club in our city that still (talking 70s-80s era) had “exclusionary” membership req’s: as in no people of color.
My homey & I would climb the fence & mercilessly vandalize that place after hours.
Driving the carts into the water traps, removing the sand from the sand traps & scattering it all over, etc.
Once we destroyed the greens on one whole section of the course 5 holes) starting at the cup & ripping that sod up like it was a giant orange peel.
Not exactly proud of my hooliganism, but to this day I still have zero regrets about those acts of malicious protest.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

thirtysomethingskater

• Rep: -7
  • Bitter as hell
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2024, 01:47:21 PM »
Trolling internet forums and drinking.

I do this while still actively skating

Gnar_Gnar

• Rep: 34
  • Don’t give up
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2024, 03:09:56 PM »
How could I forget to mention bowling?  It's got sliding, precision, run ups, and the thrill of hitting multiple strikes in a row.
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook
Nose slide Crook

Keef Hernandez

• Rep: -35
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2024, 07:07:33 PM »
golf - heckride
programming - heckride
trolling - heckride
sewing - heckride
painting - heckride
photography - heckride
video games - heckride
larping - heckride
shooting pool - heckride
bowling - heckride
tango - dickride
running - healthride
martial arts - healthride has a deathwish
cycling - mmmm gettin there
snowboarding - getting closer
surfing - liquid hellride
fucking up golf courses - hellride af

motorcyles? - hellride x infinity unlocked

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65425
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2024, 07:55:30 PM »
Here me out............I got permanently injured (ran over by a truck, 2 years in wheelchair) out of skateboarding in 2017. At first I just tried to put it out of my head, i couldnt so i started to look for a way to scratch my itch. Then I found Fingerboarding, I know what your thinking but anything you can do on your skateboard you can do in mini land. Its really helped to scratch my itch and keep me connected to skateboarding.