Author Topic: Who moves the needle?  (Read 2477 times)

NotSureWhatImDoingHere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Who moves the needle?
« on: May 29, 2024, 07:29:01 AM »
While looking at so many brands and who they have on their team, who matters? Who in this day can actually push a brand and change image or drive forward? Do we care anymore about specific riders like we did in the early 2000s?

Free hat

Re: Who moves the needle?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 10:40:02 AM »
I may be biased because I grew up in the 90’s/early 2ks but skateboarding feels like it doesn’t have as many “rockstar” type figures as it did. That isn’t the fault of any of the current pros either, dudes like Ishod, Yuto, Louie etc. certainly stand out and are at the top of their games but there really isn’t as many centralized points of focus like there was pre internet era and parts are just as ephemeral as a post on IG. Videos & magazine features used to really make you feel invested in the skaters as characters in this separate universe of skateboarding and they’d steer the entire culture with what they did/how they did it. Im also aware that this might not be the feeling for someone who’s currently 17 and geeking out on whoever is their favorite pro rn but just from my perspective I think some of what you’re talking about has been lost with the shift towards fast paced culture.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 11:43:03 AM by Dad Board »

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -27
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 11:32:22 AM »
Seems these days that fashion moves the needle. Everyone is good so you gotta have a good kit to stand out I guess.

zerosugarfruitpunch

• Rep: -2
  • having lots of fun always <3
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 11:36:01 AM »
latenitestars
haha <33333 think aga1n

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 11:52:54 AM »
I may be biased because I grew up in the 90’s/early 2ks but skateboarding feels like it doesn’t have as many “rockstar” type figures as it did. That isn’t the fault of any of the current pros either, dudes like Ishod, Yuto, Louie etc. certainly stand out and are at the top of their games but there really isn’t as many centralized points of focus like there was pre internet era and parts are just as ephemeral as a post on IG. Videos & magazine features used to really make you feel invested in the skaters as characters in this separate universe of skateboarding and they’d steer the entire culture with what they did/how they did it. Im also aware that this might not be the feeling for someone who’s currently 17 and geeking out on whoever is their favorite pro rn but just from my perspective I think some of what you’re talking about has been lost with the shift towards fast paced culture.

We’re in the anti rockstar age. They're all catching hell in 2024. It’s up for all of them.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

i halfcab board ledges

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 12:54:10 PM »
I move the needle every time i post a new illegal qp trick, my 80 followers are enthralled
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 01:03:10 PM »
Grant Taylor, full throttle

txvizier

• Rep: -26
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2024, 01:17:14 PM »
It's just a bunch of IG boy toys flaunting a super clean image giggling and hustling sucking the yoke out the soul

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 69
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2024, 01:27:37 PM »
While looking at so many brands and who they have on their team, who matters? Who in this day can actually push a brand and change image or drive forward? Do we care anymore about specific riders like we did in the early 2000s?

I fear the answer could be youtube skaters

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2024, 01:36:26 PM »
Gay moves my needle!
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Septa Bus

• Rep: -58
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2024, 02:11:26 PM »
skating hasn't hit its proverbial wall (yet?)

now that its as much of an outcast activity as soccer, baseball, hockey, where's the hype?

people gotta start dying trying tricks

then the skater that makes it will reign supreme stussy bape skibidi

being really really good and stylish and personable and marketable is what will make you pro, but not necessarily cool in the eyes of skaters

skating just kinda has to suck right now for it to be good again so im with it

Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 923
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2024, 02:58:21 PM »
Fred Gall

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -27
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2024, 03:09:56 PM »
Fred Gall

He seems like he moves a needle alright

Free hat

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2024, 03:48:08 PM »

carcinisation

• Rep: 13
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2024, 03:59:36 PM »

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2024, 04:25:58 PM »
Event organizers for unique one of a kind experiences - the spot is so sick, the event has a mission, the world's best pros showing up...

It's hard for athletes to really put themselves out there on the fringe and "move the needle". They gotta be soo humble and grateful, keep their opinions to themselves, be positive and perfectly imperfect...

I think the actual skateboarding rockstar characters pushing the limits, giving no fcks, being themselves, laying down the rowdies claims - they aren't getting any coverage because the industry has no power over them. You have to just find them in the wild.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • sup dog
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2024, 04:40:02 PM »
I keep trying to think a coherent post…

…but I can’t.

This post will suck, sorry.

I think it’s marketing’s fault.  The brands aren’t making hero’s of anyone. 

The only skater I can think of at the moment with some alluring hero-worship capability is Tyson Jones, and (I’m serious) Marbie. I don’t even know all their sponsors, but if they were my favorite skaters as a kid I would want to buy all their brands to be like them.

It’s not the talent that makes someone memorable (unless it’s Nyjah or Yuto), it’s the story/character as well.

I think skaters need to have more than just talent: they need an alluring personality to make it to skate-god level. (Think Muska)

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -54
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2024, 05:19:02 PM »
I'm not saying it's for the best or anything, more subjectivr really, but hard not to put Andy Anderson into that conversation
He has breathed the most life into any "core" brand the last 20 years and he did so with some pretty unconventional tricks that most had long forgotten about. You could debate all day if he's worthy of any of this but who else has had a direct impact on a brand in the capacity he has? Not necessarily saying he deserves it but it's hard to deny even as a hater of the dude. Who the fuck genuinely would give a fuck about Peraltta the last couple years without that guy spinning around parking lots. It's hard to swallow but I'm not sure anyone else beats him in that regard.

work_lurker

• Rep: 110
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2024, 05:32:39 PM »
Usually the DJ
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2024, 05:49:18 PM »
people gotta start dying trying tricks
Hahaha this line is sig worthy.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 68
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2024, 06:27:03 PM »
I hate that I actually think about this from time to time, I shouldn’t really care but I do kinda ponder. I think it’s a blend of a couple things. The skate video (in my opinion) kinda died, some dudes still put things out but you do NOT have the hype of like Sorry or Fully Flared coming out that is even remotely close to what it was. Also, when videos or whatever people put out now a LOT of it they aren’t even showing people’s names. So that really isn’t helping anyone stand out either. Mix that in with the names of these videos are realllly obscure titles.
As far as who’s moving the needle I can’t think of anyone who hasn’t been named. Louie is sick

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1048
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2024, 06:35:28 PM »

Maaaan...I have to say no one skater is pushing brands anymore, just themselves (and possibly shoes)? And the brands, like @JM said, aren't making heros anymore. TJ was doing it for FA then bounced on his own and you see where that went...King decks are EVERYWHERE (but that tax-write off brand doesn't matter because of that shoe money(. Then, some teams are just too stacked..Primitive, April, REAL.

No one really gives a shit who rides what truck or wheel these days and those teams have soooo many riders that they can't push anyone person too hard or too long anymore (koston's time on indy for example)

Yuto is amazing and pushing skating but is that pushing April's sales the way say, someone like Gonz pushed blind or someone like Cards pushed Antihero, Boozntits for REAL, Koston for literally anyone he rode for? I think Tfunk had a small push for Baker but that seemingly fell off...Suciu can be skater of the year with mind melting parts and it's a flash in the pan against say, a few gnarly tricks (not parts but tricks), Habitiat is the same as it ever was.

Bobby's move to Venture is the only thing I can think of that really pushed the needle (at least here) to where suddenly a product is now the hotness.

Everyone is so good these days. Doing INSANE shit and it's gone in a flash on insta be it pros or bros (and some of the bro shit is waaaay heavier  then som pros).

I bet Gustavo Ribeiro and cariuma are selling like wildfire, right? RIGHT?

TonyBaloney

• Rep: 4
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2024, 06:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

GH specifically. Not trying to turn another thread into something about him but his influence on skateboarding in general is kind of undeniable at this point.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2024, 07:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

GH specifically. Not trying to turn another thread into something about him but his influence on skateboarding in general is kind of undeniable at this point.

If you make a pro go back and redo a trick beccause you called them out, your influence is undeniable.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2024, 08:22:57 PM »
I'm not saying it's for the best or anything, more subjectivr really, but hard not to put Andy Anderson into that conversation
He has breathed the most life into any "core" brand the last 20 years and he did so with some pretty unconventional tricks that most had long forgotten about. You could debate all day if he's worthy of any of this but who else has had a direct impact on a brand in the capacity he has? Not necessarily saying he deserves it but it's hard to deny even as a hater of the dude. Who the fuck genuinely would give a fuck about Peraltta the last couple years without that guy spinning around parking lots. It's hard to swallow but I'm not sure anyone else beats him in that regard.
Wait yes, of course, definitely the And And.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2024, 08:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you make a pro go back and redo a trick beccause you called them out, your influence is undeniable.
OOF. felt that point being made way over here on the other side of all these internet wires and cables.

And you changed your pic! @Xen  gonna throw me off now, ha.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2024, 08:51:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
OOF. felt that point being made way over here on the other side of all these internet wires and cables.

And you changed your pic! @Xen  gonna throw me off now, ha.

Temporary icon change (need to let some haters cool down ;)

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2024, 09:14:02 PM »
Cast iron buddy, get ready for a real frickin in-depth discussion.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1160
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2024, 12:13:11 AM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

BeAWitness

• Rep: 4
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2024, 12:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

hahahah this is too funny because it’s true. especially since the skate in question is 2023 SOTY ENWHYTJ
I think the skater these days that will move the bar are the skaters that really commit to their bit. Greco is a good example. if he just skated in normal kits and shit he wouldn’t be nearly as iconic as he is same goes for muska.
trick wise Dylan Jaeb is moving the needle. first person to skate wallenberg fakie? gonz ollied it in what ? 1991?