Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1904968 times)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1468
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #24240 on: March 11, 2022, 08:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s bugging me is that everyone’s been falling all over themselves to overpay for a lot of things for the last 2 years, and now they’re wailing and gnashing their teeth and saying $4/gal gas will ruin them.
[close]

Did everyone blow through their savings already?

Also, shit in California or Canada $4/gal sounds like a deal. I paid $5.30 this evening I felt like I was getting a decent deal.
[close]
The gas station by my house is $6.70. I’m not trippin, my little ass hybrid does what it was intended to do. I was thinking about buying a truck but nah, it’d have to be an ev at this point.

That is hilarious though, people will tack on $15-20 in door dash fees 3x a week but this, this is the end.

That's a fair point. Around here in my neck of rural Ohio, lots of people need their trucks for their menial labor jobs. It's so desolate, they often have to drive quite a ways. They're not the kind to doordash. This is going to hit them hard.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24241 on: March 11, 2022, 10:40:02 AM »

That's a fair point. Around here in my neck of rural Ohio, lots of people need their trucks for their menial labor jobs. It's so desolate, they often have to drive quite a ways. They're not the kind to doordash. This is going to hit them hard.

Do they need to have a truck or could they get by with a car?

It seems to me that automobile company's have done such a great job making it seem like being a "real patriotic man" requires driving a huge truck and FOX News talking points have made conservation into "wimpy nonsense" that poor gas mileage of a huge truck is actually a selling point for some. I worry that they're proud not to care about poor gas mileage cause poor gas mileage allows them to "own the libs" by displaying their disdain for the "experts" who tell them fossil fuels are fucking up the planet.

My ex's family all had huge ass trucks and lived in the middle of nowhere. Although, their home and work were all connected via paved roads. I never understood why they all needed huge as trucks. They worked blue collar jobs but getting into an excavator on site or getting into a grain truck on site never required driving a lifted 8 mile to the gallon truck to the site. They could have drove a normal car no problem and the one trip to Home Depot per year to buy something big enough to put in the back of the truck didn't justify the everyday use of the gas guzzler.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #24242 on: March 11, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »
I mean I don’t need a truck every day, but I do plan on buying the Silverado ev when it comes out. Trucks are useful. I had a little beater Nissan I drove on the weekends to Home Depot or the dump, or whatever. I regret getting rid of it but I couldn’t justify the insurance and registration on something I drove 10 miles/ month.

I live and work in the Bay Area and most of my coworkers live in the valley. They’re hurting. That Altamont commute was already bad enough, but it’s almost to the point where moving out there wasn’t worth the price of the cheaper house.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24243 on: March 12, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »
Temperatures dropped from the mid 60s to the mid 20s, and it snowed last night. Four inches so far and we're expecting more. No skating for a while... I was just getting back into my groove too. :'(

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1451
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24244 on: March 12, 2022, 06:07:46 PM »
I mean I don’t need a truck every day, but I do plan on buying the Silverado ev when it comes out. Trucks are useful. I had a little beater Nissan I drove on the weekends to Home Depot or the dump, or whatever. I regret getting rid of it but I couldn’t justify the insurance and registration on something I drove 10 miles/ month.

I live and work in the Bay Area and most of my coworkers live in the valley. They’re hurting. That Altamont commute was already bad enough, but it’s almost to the point where moving out there wasn’t worth the price of the cheaper house.

those little Nissan trucks are great. I spent $82 at Costco to fill up my Subaru this AM. 21.6MPG. It's always been bad up here, before this spike, gas was generally $4.45-4.75 at Costco and just around $5 everywhere else. It's probably costing our household an additional $60/week, maybe higher depending on the amount of traveling my partner has to do for work. I drive a minimum of 30 miles per day on days when I just go to work, but if I drive north to work, then south county for something extra, it's probably 70 miles round trip. It's a hugely spaced out area, which is fine for me, but for folks who have a minimum wage income or no income, they're fucked.

Regarding trucks, I think there are definitely a lot of people who have huge trucks that they don't need 100% agree. I do however think that having a truck/van for work/manual labor purposes is crucial. What Muffin was saying about people with their trucks for work in a rural area is totally true. There's different scales of work and economy in a rural bumfuck place than in the suburbs or city. Do people need a $50-80,000 King Cab? 99% of the time, fuck no. But to write off the need/value of trucks for working people rubs me uncomfortable. I work with a lot of really, really poor families. Many of them have 1 vehicle and it's often a HUGE, early-2000s SUV. Toyota Sequoia and the like. And I've thought "damn, how can they do this? Pay for the gas? Why not get something more practical?" And then I realized that it's what they've got and that's the only option.

Regardless, the higher gas prices suck. Profiteers are still making the high profits, so are politicians. Only people getting smoked out are the working class and the poor.
Support your local skate shop

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24245 on: March 13, 2022, 02:41:16 PM »
If you don't have a truck, then you will miss out on all of that pizza and beer you could be getting by helping your friends move every 6 months.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #24246 on: March 13, 2022, 03:36:02 PM »
If you don't have a truck, then you will miss out on all of that pizza and beer you could be getting by helping your friends move every 6 months.
This is so true.  My dad has always had a pickup truck, and it's been non-stop favours for people.  Even I've had to borrow it to help friends move a bunch of times. 

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
« Reply #24247 on: March 14, 2022, 07:18:44 AM »
Just got my covid test results, Im positive. First time since it started, Ive been feeling like shit since Friday, and one of my coworkers tested positive, so I was expecting it, but it still sucks to get the text message.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #24248 on: March 14, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »
Dumb ass antiquated time change got me all fucked up. Ate a burrito then sat in a case conference in a hot ass portable that smelled like butthole, wearing a flannel like Deebo. Almost nodded out.

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #24249 on: March 15, 2022, 09:19:58 AM »
To chime in on the truck talk, I bought a 15 year old tacoma last year at the height of crazy used car prices. But i work in the trades and wanted a truck to build out and take trips in. You spend your life working you might as well buy something you enjoy is how i see it. Also it feels fuckin cool driving a truck man
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #24250 on: March 15, 2022, 09:32:26 AM »
To chime in on the truck talk, I bought a 15 year old tacoma last year at the height of crazy used car prices. But i work in the trades and wanted a truck to build out and take trips in. You spend your life working you might as well buy something you enjoy is how i see it. Also it feels fuckin cool driving a truck man

If everyone who drives a truck was as honest about the reason they drive one as this man is, I think the world would be a better place.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1451
« Reply #24251 on: March 15, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing and processing the shit from my job, but this little kid I work with has pretty big cancer. just turned 8 years old. super not stoked.

tell your people you love em. show em you love em. be good to the kids.
Support your local skate shop

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24252 on: March 16, 2022, 04:31:50 AM »
New neighbors in my apartment complex suck. They complained of "thudding" and vibrations to our landlord. It's the neighboring family who has a little kid, but I'm not going to rat them out. And who fucking cares, everyone hears everything in this complex, get over it, they're loud as fuck too. Wack, every morning they smoke the nastiest fucking weed and it permeates through the walls. So you're woken by the smell of someone freebasing jenkem, but I don't complain.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #24253 on: March 16, 2022, 05:06:21 AM »
i had to go to the dentist. i haven't been in years. it was an emergency. some sort of abscess over my teeth/under my lip. the dentist xrayed me and apparently it's already been a cyst for a while now but blowing up the last few days.

i got cut up and while he was at it he also drilled holes to start fixing my root canal and stuff... needless to say now that the narcotics worn off for some hours i feel like my skull got drilled and and it feels like the inside of my upper lip is minced meat. at least it's just swollen now and not blown up by a pus balloon. i look like i'm on botox after a failed face surgery that was stopped halfway through. also lots of blood coming out of my month. and i can't smoke weed to relax for a week he said. ok he was talking about cigs, but i guess the same goes for weed. like he was super serious about it, said it will blow up again and not heal for sure if i don't abstain absolutely. i guess the cut was pretty big. i'm not messing around with it for now to check...

need to go back tomorrow and was said to stay off work for the next two days.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24254 on: March 16, 2022, 05:11:23 AM »
Noooo Frank! :( I thought they'd just drain it last we talked. It sounds so fucking painful.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #24255 on: March 16, 2022, 05:40:45 AM »
Noooo Frank! :( I thought they'd just drain it last we talked. It sounds so fucking painful.

you better believe shit's been drained oh lordy... i also feel very drained of everything. just snacking ibuprofen.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #24256 on: March 16, 2022, 06:13:50 AM »
New neighbors in my apartment complex suck. They complained of "thudding" and vibrations to our landlord. It's the neighboring family who has a little kid, but I'm not going to rat them out. And who fucking cares, everyone hears everything in this complex, get over it, they're loud as fuck too. Wack, every morning they smoke the nastiest fucking weed and it permeates through the walls. So you're woken by the smell of someone freebasing jenkem, but I don't complain.

You sure it wasn‘t you hammering a kingpin into a baseplate?

Also @frank that sounds awful, I hope it heals up quickly.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24257 on: March 16, 2022, 11:22:07 AM »
You sure it wasn‘t you hammering a kingpin into a baseplate?

The first time I meet the landlord I was hammering out the kingpin in a kingpin of a Tensor baseplate, in the parking lot. It wouldn't come out, so I was cussing a bit, in a sports bra with baggy pants, looking like a hot mess express. Not a good first impression. She asked me what I was doing, I lied and said I was working on bike parts because I didn't want to look like an adult child. :(

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #24258 on: March 17, 2022, 07:34:53 AM »
A van/truck smashed the shit out of my car while it was parked outside my flat at some point during the day earlier this week.

The scum of course didn't leave a note, so now i'm left with no choice but to pay circa £2000 out of my own pocket to have it fixed. Insurance would write it off as it's an old/rare japanese import thats not worth much, and i'd have to claim aganst myself anyway as there's no one else to claim off. No CCTV or witnesses, and whoever hit it, hit it hard, the rear quarter looks like someone took a lump hammer to it.

gutted is the word.

Banned from the room

« Reply #24259 on: March 17, 2022, 12:43:06 PM »
The homies’ cat pissed in my guitar case. My good condition early 90s pink interior Gibson case. He’s my best friend for sure and I’m not being uncool about it. He’s living in a bad situation and needs all his money.

Should I ask him to loan me a case?

The bummed out part is I think Emma watched the cat do it. She ran over and scooped up the cat just out of my view. She said he was shaking that’s why she had the strange out burst.

I was thinking oh cute cat in my case again. I could not see it dropped a pint.

I walk over closed the case thought nothing. I put the guitar away but had shoe horned some extra cables in underneath the instrument. I got mad lucky that it’s not damaged.

I get to practice after riding the bus with my gear and noticed the cables were wet. I panicked. Cleaned the guitar tried to clean the case but I believe it’s over.

He wants to try and fix it. That’s cool. I Decided independently to take on a internship instead of a job. That way I can shadow someone for a few weeks then move over to real work.

I think he should loan me a case  idk. What would slap pals do?

I just bought him a mic to replace his that got damaged. I think it’s not too much to ask right? Or should I wait till I get paid on the real job and just buy another. I gotta play out. I been playing in lynn almost every night

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #24260 on: March 17, 2022, 01:14:30 PM »
The homies’ cat pissed in my guitar case. My good condition early 90s pink interior Gibson case. He’s my best friend for sure and I’m not being uncool about it. He’s living in a bad situation and needs all his money.

Should I ask him to loan me a case?

The bummed out part is I think Emma watched the cat do it. She ran over and scooped up the cat just out of my view. She said he was shaking that’s why she had the strange out burst.

I was thinking oh cute cat in my case again. I could not see it dropped a pint.

I walk over closed the case thought nothing. I put the guitar away but had shoe horned some extra cables in underneath the instrument. I got mad lucky that it’s not damaged.

I get to practice after riding the bus with my gear and noticed the cables were wet. I panicked. Cleaned the guitar tried to clean the case but I believe it’s over.

He wants to try and fix it. That’s cool. I Decided independently to take on a internship instead of a job. That way I can shadow someone for a few weeks then move over to real work.

I think he should loan me a case  idk. What would slap pals do?

I just bought him a mic to replace his that got damaged. I think it’s not too much to ask right? Or should I wait till I get paid on the real job and just buy another. I gotta play out. I been playing in lynn almost every night

yeah i feel like he should help you out at least, if he can. i mean cats do what they want. but you got him a mic. it's like what goes around comes around. yeah at least let you borrow a case off him in the meantime would be cool.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #24261 on: March 18, 2022, 12:51:50 AM »
Fukn back went out for like the 800th time. Got like 5 borderline herniated discs and one actually herniated. I'm hoping one of the five hasn't gone bad. Been feeling kinda stiff/sore for a couple of days so it's been coming but I was cooking and and after about twenty mins I realised I was literally holding onto the top of the cabinet to support myself. Turned everything off took like fifteen mins to walk over to the couch then seriously like twenty five mins to sit down. Now I'm just stuck on the couch for the rest of my life.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #24262 on: March 18, 2022, 01:05:49 AM »
Fukn back went out for like the 800th time. Got like 5 borderline herniated discs and one actually herniated. I'm hoping one of the five hasn't gone bad. Been feeling kinda stiff/sore for a couple of days so it's been coming but I was cooking and and after about twenty mins I realised I was literally holding onto the top of the cabinet to support myself. Turned everything off took like fifteen mins to walk over to the couch then seriously like twenty five mins to sit down. Now I'm just stuck on the couch for the rest of my life.

That sucks man, here's to a speedy recovery.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #24263 on: March 18, 2022, 04:50:19 AM »

That was me all of last summer. L4-L5 and L5-S1 are both herniated, happened skating mellow flatground. Back pain has been following me for over 15 years but this time was the worst. The worst meaning I fell to the floor a few times because my lower back couldn’t bare the weight of my upper body. Worst pain I’ve ever felt.

My back has been getting better but I still have some off days. I’m still too scared to skate again; 10 mins of mellow flat put me out for 3 months, doesn’t feel like it’s worth it to me anymore. It fucking sucks man. At least I can do jiu-jitsu without it bothering me too much but I’m still super careful.

If I can offer you a suggestion, once your back is in better shape, this is what works best for me:

Make sure you’ve given your back time to heal a bit before doing this, because it’s not easy at first, but it will solidify your core and lower back like nothing else. Only time my back pain comes back is when I’ve been lazy and slacking on my stretches like I have lately. You gotta keep doing it for it to work.

I say give it time because besides time and rest, nothing really helps at the early stages of a back hernia popping out.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #24264 on: March 18, 2022, 05:15:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That was me all of last summer. L4-L5 and L5-S1 are both herniated, happened skating mellow flatground. Back pain has been following me for over 15 years but this time was the worst. The worst meaning I fell to the floor a few times because my lower back couldn’t bare the weight of my upper body. Worst pain I’ve ever felt.

My back has been getting better but I still have some off days. I’m still too scared to skate again; 10 mins of mellow flat put me out for 3 months, doesn’t feel like it’s worth it to me anymore. It fucking sucks man. At least I can do jiu-jitsu without it bothering me too much but I’m still super careful.

If I can offer you a suggestion, once your back is in better shape, this is what works best for me:

Make sure you’ve given your back time to heal a bit before doing this, because it’s not easy at first, but it will solidify your core and lower back like nothing else. Only time my back pain comes back is when I’ve been lazy and slacking on my stretches like I have lately. You gotta keep doing it for it to work.

I say give it time because besides time and rest, nothing really helps at the early stages of a back hernia popping out.
Yeah cheers. I've also had the problems for some time (11+years) but had been doing alright for a bit. I kinda prefer the legs just give out ones altho ive been lucky enough they've only happened in my house. In public that would suck. Wish I could go back to the first times it happened and tell myself to get it checked out then because it wasn't until 2011 where one day I just literally couldn't move I was just stuck in bed. Didn't skate for like 13 months or something(sometimes also wish I just didn't skate again after too lol) my being an idiot lately was thinking like "I actually feel better when I don't do my physio". Well not now.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #24265 on: March 18, 2022, 06:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah cheers. I've also had the problems for some time (11+years) but had been doing alright for a bit. I kinda prefer the legs just give out ones altho ive been lucky enough they've only happened in my house. In public that would suck. Wish I could go back to the first times it happened and tell myself to get it checked out then because it wasn't until 2011 where one day I just literally couldn't move I was just stuck in bed. Didn't skate for like 13 months or something(sometimes also wish I just didn't skate again after too lol) my being an idiot lately was thinking like "I actually feel better when I don't do my physio". Well not now.

I was the exact same. “Back has been pain free for 2 days ? Time to skate 5 hours”, and the cycle would continue over and over until shit hit the fan.

I was a fucking idiot, had all the time in the world for it to get better but nope, had to wait until it got really bad. Back pain sucks.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
« Reply #24266 on: March 18, 2022, 06:11:29 AM »
Went skating on Wednesday with kinda minimal energy despite the weather being beautiful. Did that classic slam where your front truck skirts out on a 5050 and I got bucked backwards onto the corner of my the ledge and onto the ground. Really sucked, and decided right there I was done for the day.

Next day, still sore,, I went back to the park and literally did the exact same slam again out the gate. Except this time I bashed my knee on the corner of the ledge, which is unusually sharp. So now my bruises are doubled up AND I can't really use my knee very well.

Happy spring

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24267 on: March 18, 2022, 06:25:37 AM »
Went skating on Wednesday with kinda minimal energy despite the weather being beautiful. Did that classic slam where your front truck skirts out on a 5050 and I got bucked backwards onto the corner of my the ledge and onto the ground. Really sucked, and decided right there I was done for the day.

Next day, still sore,, I went back to the park and literally did the exact same slam again out the gate. Except this time I bashed my knee on the corner of the ledge, which is unusually sharp. So now my bruises are doubled up AND I can't really use my knee very well.

Happy spring

Relatable, I attempted to reform my frankentrucking with a pair of Indy hollows. Board felt really hard to pop and uncontrollable, and the grinds felt sticky. It was terrible, I couldn't land anything, kept eating it, so I woke up all bruised and sore. Switched back to a blaphamous setup afterwards.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24268 on: March 18, 2022, 06:43:45 AM »
I should add that it’s not the Indy’s fault, obviously. I’m getting old, losing tricks, pop, becoming worse, and change feels awful.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 06:56:38 AM by PuffinMuffin »

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
« Reply #24269 on: March 18, 2022, 07:44:58 AM »
I should add that it’s not the Indy’s fault, obviously. I’m getting old, losing tricks, pop, becoming worse, and change feels awful.

haha. I was skating new trucks and a new board yesterday, but not the first day, so I'm not holding Indy responsible either.

The ledge at my park is weird. The metal on the side isn't flush with the concrete, so it sticks up just a tiny bit. It always throws me off. I'm blaming that lol.