Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3083911 times)

sebastian toombs

Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #13560 on: September 07, 2008, 06:37:18 PM »
did you get muffins at "market on yates"?  an "empress square" from rogers chocolates?  german crusty buns at the "rheingold" bakery?   book hunting at "russells books"?  hit willows beach for a jog on the sand?

i may visit victoria for a monday-to-friday's worth of research in the first week of december, when the cherry trees will be in bloom.  im soooo looking forward to it, i just lurve victoria.  itd be nice to teach at uvic one day

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:43:13 PM by sebastian toombs »

dtrigiani

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
  • captain
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13561 on: September 07, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
stoked on university

my frosh week ended today. It was a solid 4 days of crawling through mud, thundersludge, purple dye, and grabbing a tam off the top of a goalpost. I've been drunk every night, and I've got some good friends here that I'm hanging out with every night.

I started drinking last night around 7 with floormates, then a friend called up to go skate. I was pretty tipsy, but went anyway. I was pretty garbage due to my inebriation, but I did a few okay tricks. snapped my board switch fs 180ing a 3 set. wasn't stoked on that, but i got my parents to bring me up a new deck when they dropped off a fridge and my dad gave me his old laptop.

I've got a solid 34 hours of class a week, which is a lot compared to the 20 i had in high school. Last semester I drove to school and arrived half an hour late at 8:30, and was out by noon. This is going to be intense, but I'm a little excited for that, too.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #13562 on: September 07, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
fully immersed in queen's homoerotic male bonding rituals, eh?

dtrigiani

• Rep: 26
  • captain
« Reply #13563 on: September 07, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
i know from the outside it looks like the gayest shit ever, but it's honestly so much fun. On move-in day, the only thing I thought was, "engineers are so fucking weird," but I really love it now.

giving people in other faculties shit is a reward in itself.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #13564 on: September 07, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
i know from the outside it looks like the gayest shit ever, but it's honestly so much fun. On move-in day, the only thing I thought was, "engineers are so fucking weird," but I really love it now.

giving people in other faculties shit is a reward in itself.

a reward for what?

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #13565 on: September 07, 2008, 07:45:27 PM »
everything is meh, but good music is playing and i have a belly full of pasta.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13566 on: September 07, 2008, 09:41:54 PM »
my fucking awesome weekend at vic

i just had a good week in vic
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
« Reply #13567 on: September 07, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »
what is frosh? is that the canadian equivalent of american frats' pledge week?

marty.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #13568 on: September 07, 2008, 10:27:13 PM »
Got the next two days off work, can't remember the last time I had two off in a row.
Weather was perfect today, hopefully it'll stay like that, planning on spending most of tomorrow and the next day skating.

Also stoked on 25 dollar cartons of chinese marlboros.
8)

sebastian toombs

« Reply #13569 on: September 07, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »

i guess so...   not many canadian campuses have fraternities.  under the guise of "building school / faculty / student spirit," the university condones days or weeks of outrageous drunkeness, hazing of varying intensity, inculcation of "group think," abusive and contemptuous behavior towards non-students, a tolerable amount of rape, and, in queens case, light rioting.  they do this because the expectation is that today's incoming undergrad students will fondly recall "i was SOOOO fucking drunk; it was the best fucking time of my LIIIIIFE! WOOOOO!" once they have graduated and become gainfully employed alumni, and will therefore donate moneys back to the school.  this is especially effective with the applied sciences and the business and professional schools (such as engineering and computing science), which have deeply ingrained cultures of sexism, paternalism, reactionary individualism, and professional cronyism.  it is no coincidence that the schools and faculties whose students make the most money cling to and reproduce these so-called traditions most tenaciously.

it is also a way of getting students to believe in a facade of teamwork within small groups or their faculty / field, while at the same time they are ruthlessly competing against each other for the best grades, the best letters of recommendation, and the best future jobs.

dtrigiani, out of curiosity, did either of your parents go to queens?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:03:55 PM by sebastian toombs »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #13570 on: September 07, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »
We have that here too, but it is clubs of all kinds.  I forget what the week is called though.  awful

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #13571 on: September 07, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »
Tell us how you really feel Toombs, ha.  Last weekend was pretty much the first weekend with all of the college kids back here in Boston, and when I was walking home from work on Saturday night I was reminded how much I hate college kids sometimes.

Anyway, stoked on Alton Brown, his travel/food documentaries, and travel in general.

guy le douche

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #13572 on: September 08, 2008, 09:32:34 AM »
getting my first cell phone ever today

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #13573 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i guess so...   not many canadian campuses have fraternities.  under the guise of "building school / faculty / student spirit," the university condones days or weeks of outrageous drunkeness, hazing of varying intensity, inculcation of "group think," abusive and contemptuous behavior towards non-students, a tolerable amount of rape, and, in queens case, light rioting.  they do this because the expectation is that today's incoming undergrad students will fondly recall "i was SOOOO fucking drunk; it was the best fucking time of my LIIIIIFE! WOOOOO!" once they have graduated and become gainfully employed alumni, and will therefore donate moneys back to the school.  this is especially effective with the applied sciences and the business and professional schools (such as engineering and computing science), which have deeply ingrained cultures of sexism, paternalism, reactionary individualism, and professional cronyism.  it is no coincidence that the schools and faculties whose students make the most money cling to and reproduce these so-called traditions most tenaciously.

it is also a way of getting students to believe in a facade of teamwork within small groups or their faculty / field, while at the same time they are ruthlessly competing against each other for the best grades, the best letters of recommendation, and the best future jobs.

dtrigiani, out of curiosity, did either of your parents go to queens?

toombs, are you from kingston? If so, high five on living in the same place.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #13574 on: September 08, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
i have a place to stay there, but spend most of my time in toronto...   are you just starting there too?  what are you studying?

thanks for reminding me to book a train for this evening!

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #13575 on: September 08, 2008, 01:58:35 PM »
i have a place to stay there, but spend most of my time in toronto...   are you just starting there too?  what are you studying?

thanks for reminding me to book a train for this evening!

No, I just grew up there. The campus got a rather extensive makeover this past summer and is better than ever. Let me know if you want to skate sometime.

frisco

« Reply #13576 on: September 08, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »

as much as i feel djokovich, this guys just way too sick, hes always been fucking awesome, thats 13 slams now

sebastian toombs

« Reply #13577 on: September 08, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
stoked on my hot, smart housemates bringing their hot, smart friends over for "movie night."  stoked on talking about graduate studies with two hot, smart girls wearing sun dresses while i sit on my bed...

vicky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • brofessional
« Reply #13578 on: September 08, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »
schools awesome, i have my own studio, i kind of started being social again, skitchin
we could get matching halter tops and do kickturns over the dick at fdr, people wouldn't know what to do. I would be a c cup massacre.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #13579 on: September 08, 2008, 07:50:03 PM »
schools awesome, i have my own studio, i kind of started being social again, skitchin

sweet, is your studio on campus ...?

baxty

« Reply #13580 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »
David Bowie could take my soul and I wouldn't even care.

vicky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • brofessional
« Reply #13581 on: September 08, 2008, 08:16:53 PM »
yea right above the floor with all the presses and exposure units etc. siked to finally have space, been waiting for 3 years for it
we could get matching halter tops and do kickturns over the dick at fdr, people wouldn't know what to do. I would be a c cup massacre.

EastCoastLove

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #13582 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:27 PM »
getting to skate boston today

eggs has the best granite ledges ever

killer spot

Guile

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13583 on: September 08, 2008, 08:42:05 PM »
knowing my friends are gnarlier than all those cali amrailer scum.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Universal Remonster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13584 on: September 08, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote
my fucking awesome weekend at vic
[close]

i just had a good week in vic
skate at all?

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65425
« Reply #13585 on: September 08, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
did you get muffins at "market on yates"?  an "empress square" from rogers chocolates?  german crusty buns at the "rheingold" bakery?   book hunting at "russells books"?  hit willows beach for a jog on the sand?

i may visit victoria for a monday-to-friday's worth of research in the first week of december, when the cherry trees will be in bloom.  im soooo looking forward to it, i just lurve victoria.  itd be nice to teach at uvic one day

Dont be a stranger if you make it over here. Do you golf? If so im thinking tee time for sure.

duck lake

« Reply #13586 on: September 09, 2008, 01:28:35 AM »
i can walk

Back to 0

• Rep: 23
    • outlawz avatar image
« Reply #13587 on: September 09, 2008, 01:56:55 AM »
trying to pic up photography again so bought me a nikon d60 now i just have
 to figure out what all those buttons do
still Rollin! www.outlawz.nl

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13588 on: September 09, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »

I don't give a shit about Kim Jong Il either way, but the headline made me laugh.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #13589 on: September 09, 2008, 10:10:44 AM »
diamond is hooking up a new set of aces since i broke the hanger on the ones i had.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding