Author Topic: epicly later'd pop's edition  (Read 49235 times)

datsnare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: epicly later'd pop's edition
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
But why exactly should he "Work hard for it?" It's just a skate video, was anyone really expecting some really tech shit from Pops?
[close]

I didn't say he had to put out a tech part, but listening to him talk about how he "just stayed in new york" and "we filmed for a couple days then we wouldn't for a long time" makes me hate this dude. If everyone had his attitude FF would have been a peice of shit.
[close]

i get the feeling thats because ty and alot of the other ff filmers were out in cali most of the time and didnt want to come out and film him
and if they did they'd only stay a week or so
you cant really blame him that he didnt film much.
guy mariano is out in cali filming with ty 24/7 on HD cameras
and pops it out in nyc filming bro cam on new spots

i guess pops has something people want to see
seeing switch 360flip noseslide shove out on a shin high ledge doesnt make me want to go skate
seeing someone crusing down the street ollieing over bars and grinding anything insight just gets me more stoked

i wouldnt exactly call bill strobeck bro cam. also, speech impediment? i think the word you were looking for is dialect.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:45:31 AM by datsnare »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2009, 08:57:39 AM »
that manikmati thing made me laugh.

Thibaut

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
hi, first post...

I think Pops's part is great because he has understood what most people want of pros. They just want to see them cruising. That's why people love so much the FTC videos: not the best tricks, but the best vibes and flow. I think a lot of people will prefer to watch the short clips on Crailtap (like the 4stars catlogue shooting..) than the FF parts: they just motivate more to go out to skate. The best clips of MJ i've ever seen are the ones were he's cruising and doing "not so hard" tricks (i.e. Man Down)
As for him staying in NY and not traveling, I think that then again he has seen what people expect of him. People want to see him in his environment. Just like we want to see Oyola in Philly, Puleo in NY, Stevie at Love Park, Kenny Reed at some crazy exotic spot. That's why some of FF parts were weird: there was no more this LA vibe that a lot of people enjoyed in the past Girl videos...
I'll still watch Pops' part in 10 years for the very reason that he his not doing trendy tricks or crazy combos that will look cheesy in few years. I think the harder the tricks are, the less stylish they are likely to be and his part is a good example of that.

Nevertheless it would have been cool to gratifiy us with a longer part and more coverage because one Gino is enough...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:39:01 PM by Thibaut »

the garcia

• Rep: 7
  • reason
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
I know pops would be so proud of what he started on these here message boards.

tanhoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
I know pops would be so proud of what he started on these here message boards.

hahah thats exactly what i was thinking. hed be bummed

sweatloaf

« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
I call it "soda". Must be regional dialect.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
drugs

Mark Snappleyard

• Rep: 11
  • Tre flip noseslides!
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2009, 10:52:11 AM »
Usually I talk shit about Pops, but that was a pretty cool episode.  I agree with what he said about Menikmati.  That was the first skate video I actually bought, and I watched the shit out of it.  The music sucked though, and there was so much slow mo that I can barely stand to watch it these days.

I still think that Pops is a pretty lazy professional skateboarder, but now I also think he's a pretty rad dude.  Plus, that ad of him 50ing up that handrail is tight as fuck.

Cheapboarder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -73
  • IT'S THE GOOCH!
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »
I rather hear Pops talk for 10 mins about his skating then Gino talk about his life. I really don't see what yall see in Gino. He just a lazy guy who is great at skating that doesn't feel like going outside because he through problems. Problems! I don't see how your best friend dying 10 years ago (I know he didnt die 10 years ago) or you doing cocaine blunts all day years ago makes you not want to be a working pro.

As for COTG, I understand what he is saying about pops. I love Pop's skating and such and his part in FF was one of my favorites but why would want to see some guy kickflip over a pyramid and land on really hard ground when you can watch Mike Mo Nollie Tre down Carlsbad? (COTG's Point of view). It's actually a very good opinion in my eyes, I disagree but a least he has a point.

Also I try not to look at Gravels comments since his post confuses me (my problem).

PS.

()()()()()()()()()()()())()()()()()()()()()()(((()))()()()()!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
I rather hear Pops talk for 10 mins about his skating then Gino talk about his life.

no one you know

« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »
Some of you guys are getting kind of over emotional about these epicly later'ds.

TheKarmessiah

• Rep: 23
  • YAH!
    • KARMBOOK avatar image
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
Some of you guys are getting kind of over emotional about these epicly later'ds.

its not about pops, its about that smegma COTG who never has anything good to say
I'd go gay for BA.

twitter.com/karmessiah

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
  • Far out man.
« Reply #132 on: January 02, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
pops and wenning are the two most influential skateboarders in my skateboarding. i don't give a fuck what any of you think about the two of them, i'm speaking from 100% personal preference. the problem is location. if you're not from here, YOU DON'T KNOW. you think you do, and you may even appreciate it, but it's not the same. watching pops or wenning crush jersey, philly, and ny when i was a kid meant more to me than any trick in the whole world that probably meant a lot to some of you. why? location. i'm from here, i skate here, and i love it. when i was starting out, these two just started getting a little bit of coverage, and both got on alien which happened to be the ultimate company at the time. to me, THAT is the way skateboarding should look. again, personal preference. if you're from san fran, i bet you can name two skaters who came up when you started who really got you so hyped to a point where you'll never bad mouth them. or even if you're from anywhere in the midwest, same deal. that's the problem, no one puts themselves in a different perspective in these gay ass arguments. its just "NAH HE SUCKS," or "NAH HE RULES." honestly, i haven't done a nollie heelflip noseslide since '02, because i think it's gross. but i didn't type in COTG's thread with that trick in it and bad mouth him, because i understand where he lives and his mind state. who am i to tell him to just go faster and minus the heelflip because a good nollie noseslide feels better. am i lazy for thinking that? to him probably yeah. but then again who is COTG to tell pops to add a flip and go slower? see? pointless argument. we are all products of our direct environment, and the sooner that everyone here realizes it, we can stop arguing about the way pops skates.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #133 on: January 02, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
pops and wenning are the two most influential skateboarders in my skateboarding. i don't give a fuck what any of you think about the two of them, i'm speaking from 100% personal preference. the problem is location. if you're not from here, YOU DON'T KNOW. you think you do, and you may even appreciate it, but it's not the same. watching pops or wenning crush jersey, philly, and ny when i was a kid meant more to me than any trick in the whole world that probably meant a lot to some of you. why? location. i'm from here, i skate here, and i love it. when i was starting out, these two just started getting a little bit of coverage, and both got on alien which happened to be the ultimate company at the time. to me, THAT is the way skateboarding should look. again, personal preference. if you're from san fran, i bet you can name two skaters who came up when you started who really got you so hyped to a point where you'll never bad mouth them. or even if you're from anywhere in the midwest, same deal. that's the problem, no one puts themselves in a different perspective in these gay ass arguments. its just "NAH HE SUCKS," or "NAH HE RULES." honestly, i haven't done a nollie heelflip noseslide since '02, because i think it's gross. but i didn't type in COTG's thread with that trick in it and bad mouth him, because i understand where he lives and his mind state. who am i to tell him to just go faster and minus the heelflip because a good nollie noseslide feels better. am i lazy for thinking that? to him probably yeah. but then again who is COTG to tell pops to add a flip and go slower? see? pointless argument. we are all products of our direct environment, and the sooner that everyone here realizes it, we can stop arguing about the way pops skates.
Uh, that doesn't make any sense.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #134 on: January 02, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
It makes perfect sense, he can relate to it because thats where he was brought up skating. You can't really relate to it because that's not where your mind is at. Plain and simple.

no one you know

« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
It makes perfect sense, he can relate to it because thats where he was brought up skating. You can't really relate to it because that's not where your mind is at. Plain and simple.

It made perfect sense to me too. And he did a nollie heel noseslide in a line but frontside cuz, so wat?!?! COTG could you? You know what mang? This thread reminds me of something I heard awhile back, something like:

"You're not showing me any respect."

"Respect? I'm talking to you."

"Yeah, you're talking to me like I'm an animal, not like a human being."

THRILL_HOUSE

• Rep: -2
  • Hope the plane don't crash
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
I disagree with Pops' statement that he's glad he didn't know anything about Fred Galls personality when he was a kid and that's the way it should be with pros.  All of these segments show how many interesting personalities populate skateboarding.  Even if I don't like their personality (most of the time pros are self-aggrandizing, overtly pretentious and hilariously unwilling to admit the humor in their occupation) it's still interesting to watch.  I love Pops' skating but he seems a little too serious...

no one you know

« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2009, 02:27:46 PM »
I disagree with Pops' statement that he's glad he didn't know anything about Fred Galls personality when he was a kid and that's the way it should be with pros.  All of these segments show how many interesting personalities populate skateboarding.  Even if I don't like their personality (most of the time pros are self-aggrandizing, overtly pretentious and hilariously unwilling to admit the humor in their occupation) it's still interesting to watch.  I love Pops' skating but he seems a little too serious...

I think he just wants to keep it pure and simple.

Put in a skate video and watch dudes skate spots, grind ledges, jump down stairs, and have it set to an enjoyable soundtrack. I don't really care either of what these guys order at Starbucks or the last concert they went to. You know how they say skaters can be one dimensional, well this even more so because all it is is just the skating and no lifestyle. Pops might have a really interesting lifestyle but that is not what is important to him as far as his skate career, its more about going skating. Skate, skate, skate.

pube tube

cops keep firing

• Rep: 63
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »

does anyone remember when this was the skateboarder cover?
the footage of that is so sick. i dont understand why that wasn't in any videos.
I mean, if the creator of the universe is truly concerned with where you put your penis, then surely he has an opinion on who had the best part in Fully Flared.

SwitchFrontShuv

« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Uh, that doesn't make any sense.
Uh, yes it does. (your ground is smooth, pussy)  :D

no one you know

« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2009, 03:47:20 PM »

does anyone remember when this was the skateboarder cover?
the footage of that is so sick. i dont understand why that wasn't in any videos.

It's in Final Flare.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »
That's just a cop out people from the east coast use because they suck.

SwitchFrontShuv

« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lets see that footage of you skating ankle high ledges again

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

You're not as good as I am. Guaranteed.

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2009, 04:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
You're not as good as I am. Guaranteed.

how could you possibly know? That response is a fucking cop out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:13:24 PM by Tarquin »

pube tube

« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Now thats just regular.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Now thats just regular.

I was set to write something back, but I'm done with this troll. If people never responded to him, he wouldn't post. It was entertaining/refreshing to see what you had to say for a few weeks kid, now its back to the list for you.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Now thats just regular.
Please, explain to me how it's regular. You don't even realize that a large amountof these east coast cockriders are from the mid west, pacific northwest, and the south. If that was the case none of those niggas would like anyone from the east coast hell no one would even like anyone from Southern California. What I will say is that it is kind of valid in some instances, but in this case it is not.

pube tube

« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2009, 04:41:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Now thats just regular.
[close]
Please, explain to me how it's regular. You don't even realize that a large amountof these east coast cockriders are from the mid west, pacific northwest, and the south. If that was the case none of those niggas would like anyone from the east coast hell no one would even like anyone from Southern California. What I will say is that it is kind of valid in some instances, but in this case it is not.
Im not really getting what you were just trying to say/prove right there...