Author Topic: epicly later'd pop's edition  (Read 49242 times)

pube tube

Re: epicly later'd pop's edition
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2009, 06:41:40 PM »
what the rest of the world -- but especially norcal barneys and east coast headz -- group as the all-encompassing aesthetic of southern california's spots is actually wildly off-base. aside from san diego county, gated communities along the coast and the far-flung homeowner start-up bedroom communities of riverside county or whatever, the whole sterile/white concrete thing/modular city planning mostly doesn't exist. for the most part the sidewalks and streets are just as bad as the east, most schools and buildings are just as old and mediocrely maintained as the rest of the country, and if you have even a basic 'skater's eye' understanding of urban -- or suburban -- layout, you will easly find alot of amazing, untouched and aesthetically-pleasing spots that are imperfect and hard to skate. i guarentee that anthony pappalardo could film an entire part to his liking in downtown santa ana, orange county, usa. shipping yards, civic buildings, all mexican neighborhoods, industrial areas, rural anything, ditches, all old los angeles suburbs, and anywhere with a chunk of the population below the poverty line: hello sailor. i'll agree that it's the linear progress, kayo-type dudes like our pal child of the ghetto that ignore all the amazing spots for the butter bench that help to perpetuate the stereotype, but the bechipped shoulders of the 'crusty' so-fr-real dudes highly fictionalized the reality of the situation.

I lived in northern Virginia/DC area for 20 years of my life, and have lived in LA for 6 years now and the concrete that LA offers for the most part does NOT exist on the east coast. 

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2009, 07:08:10 PM »
^^ agreed
 and even if you can find some old suburbs in San Jose to try to recreate the New York/ East Coast feel you have to realize.
That's all there is to skate in the North East.
ableSkateMag.com

Mark Snappleyard

• Rep: 11
  • Tre flip noseslides!
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »
what the rest of the world -- but especially norcal barneys and east coast headz -- group as the all-encompassing aesthetic of southern california's spots is actually wildly off-base. aside from san diego county, gated communities along the coast and the far-flung homeowner start-up bedroom communities of riverside county or whatever, the whole sterile/white concrete thing/modular city planning mostly doesn't exist. for the most part the sidewalks and streets are just as bad as the east, most schools and buildings are just as old and mediocrely maintained as the rest of the country, and if you have even a basic 'skater's eye' understanding of urban -- or suburban -- layout, you will easly find alot of amazing, untouched and aesthetically-pleasing spots that are imperfect and hard to skate. i guarentee that anthony pappalardo could film an entire part to his liking in downtown santa ana, orange county, usa. shipping yards, civic buildings, all mexican neighborhoods, industrial areas, rural anything, ditches, all old los angeles suburbs, and anywhere with a chunk of the population below the poverty line: hello sailor. i'll agree that it's the linear progress, kayo-type dudes like our pal child of the ghetto that ignore all the amazing spots for the butter bench that help to perpetuate the stereotype, but the bechipped shoulders of the 'crusty' so-fr-real dudes highly fictionalized the reality of the situation.

Why would you go out of your way to skate a shitty spot?

gravel pitch

« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
Wow this thread is getting huge, I had no idea people cared so much about this dude.

For the record here though, most of my statements are aimed at his attitude about skating, and not so much about his skating it's self. While I do get pretty fucking annoying seeing ollies and 50-50s from him in almost every ad, he has put out some good shit. Overall though I see him as a lazy pro who's got no drive, and I don't care if you understand what I mean or not.

Also, stop hating on COTG so much. You guys say he's ridiculous because of how critical he is but you're just as ridiculous getting emotional because someone talked shit on a pro you like. You can talk shit on my favorite skaters all you want and I'm not gonna take it personally so why is this turning into such a big deal?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2009, 08:50:04 PM »
Wow this thread is getting huge, I had no idea people cared so much about this dude.

For the record here though, most of my statements are aimed at his attitude about skating, and not so much about his skating it's self. While I do get pretty fucking annoying seeing ollies and 50-50s from him in almost every ad, he has put out some good shit. Overall though I see him as a lazy pro who's got no drive, and I don't care if you understand what I mean or not.

Also, stop hating on COTG so much. You guys say he's ridiculous because of how critical he is but you're just as ridiculous getting emotional because someone talked shit on a pro you like. You can talk shit on my favorite skaters all you want and I'm not gonna take it personally so why is this turning into such a big deal?

i don't really care, but i get frustrated with cotg because he only seems to say something negative or "i'm better than you."

SwitchFrontShuv

« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
COTG, first off you're going to have to explain to me what your idea of "better" is, then we can decide. Oh, and that video response made me laugh =/

OldDirtyBastardChild

• Rep: 9
  • Im The ODB And I Cant See
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2009, 10:11:27 PM »
you guys are gonna be pretty bummed when you find out theres not a second part to this

also i love when COTG posts cause you know its always gonna start some shit. people just cant stand when someone disagrees with there opinions. especially when there so far on the other side of the fence

TheKarmessiah

• Rep: 23
  • YAH!
    • KARMBOOK avatar image
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »
man, fuk COTG and fuck his mom for shitting him out and still buying him boards
I'd go gay for BA.

twitter.com/karmessiah

pube tube

« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »
*COTG chimes in and list his shop sponser*

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2009, 11:35:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
HAHA I do ride for a shop, but it's not like i made a video or anything. Some people from the shop saw me skating one day and asked me if i wanted to skate for them.

sal23

« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
HAHA I do ride for a shop, but it's not like i made a video or anything. Some people from the shop saw me skating one day and asked me if i wanted to skate for them.

good job pops
you should totally get on lakai too

oh wait..

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2009, 11:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
If i made a video i could easily get on lakai flow.

TheKarmessiah

• YAH!
    • KARMBOOK avatar image
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2009, 11:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]

yeah because you certaintly stand out from the crowd with your nollie heel noseslides on tall ledges, and switch tres down huge gaps and amazing style...........oh wait
I'd go gay for BA.

twitter.com/karmessiah

clienteal.

• Rep: 13
  • ooohhweeee.
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2009, 03:25:43 AM »
i guess skateboarding isn't supposed to be fun.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »
COTG = Steve Berra or some other pro with a chip on his shoulder. And I don't really care that whoever it is dug up some footage of some random kid doing nollie heel noseslides. Whoever it is is giving us a taste of our own medicine, and loving every minute of it.

crapface

« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2009, 07:01:40 AM »

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2009, 08:36:55 AM »

Jura

« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:10 AM »
Now you got the idea Nick. Skateboarding isnt about fun...

Skateboarding is about being the best, its about proving to all that you are better than everyone else, its about doing the same tricks as the next guy, just down one more step. Its about winning all the contests and getting the most unrelated sponsors that you can. Its about banking that dough and Xgames and mountain dew gold medals!!!

/sarcasm.

I REALLY hate people who think skateboarding is about one upping the next guy, getting sponsors and trying to make money. It makes me sad to see kids skating for the sole reason of trying to be "professional". That thought was the furthest thing from my head when i started skating.

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

yeah because you certaintly stand out from the crowd with your nollie heel noseslides on tall ledges, and switch tres down huge gaps and amazing style...........oh wait

The funny thing is that pops couldn't sw tre a 5 stair I bet. Not hating on him though.

TheKarmessiah

• YAH!
    • KARMBOOK avatar image
« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

[close]

The funny thing is that pops couldn't sw tre a 5 stair I bet. Not hating on him though.

how do you know?
I'd go gay for BA.

twitter.com/karmessiah

Hickory Dickory Dock

• Rep: -1
« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
you haters dont know shit about the spots that Anthony Poppalardo skates. If you ever go to New York,
and see the spots that he skates you wouldnt be hating on shit. Just a few examples are, his first line in mosaic when he ollies over a bar then right after ollies over another bump to bar. THATS CRAZY SHIT! also the steps he bluntsldes in FF into the cellar door in mindblowing! in order to skate that spot, you have to ride on a foot wide ledge or else you ride into dirt, the ledge doesent grind for shit, and theres a 2 foot gap in between the ledge and the cellar door.

Mark Snappleyard

• Tre flip noseslides!
« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2009, 02:01:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

[close]

Do you seriously believe this?  The dude switch heeled UP a 5 stair.  What even remotely gives you the idea that he couldn't do a switch 360 flip down it?

SwitchFrontShuv

« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2009, 02:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]

just making a statement like that would be enough for you to not get lakai flow.

TheKarmessiah

• YAH!
    • KARMBOOK avatar image
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

just making a statement like that would be enough for you to not get lakai flow.

i think he should prove it. humor us COTG
I'd go gay for BA.

twitter.com/karmessiah

Mark Snappleyard

• Tre flip noseslides!
« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »
Stop being such a lazy skateboarder and get some free shoes.  Why not?

biggums mcgee

« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you seriously believe this?  The dude switch heeled UP a 5 stair.  What even remotely gives you the idea that he couldn't do a switch 360 flip down it?

dude was doing nose manuel nollie 3 flips in '99...come on!

SwitchFrontShuv

« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

don't really need to mention switch ollie love.

pube tube

« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

don't really need to mention switch ollie love.
as well as almost switch flipping it.

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #208 on: January 03, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

good job pops

oh wait..
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

how do you know?

I don't. I have just never seen him do one.

Hatechild

« Reply #209 on: January 03, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »
Stoked on hardflip manuel line at love. Wonder why didn't show the switch shuv nosegrind in Mosaic?