Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread  (Read 8806933 times)

SWPhillyFloater, alecjahr , guydog and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Manolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT shoe releases thread
« Reply #30420 on: May 23, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Have there yet been a pro model original design out of adidas that isn't an old recycled shoe? It seems only the skateboard branch is affected too.
[close]

The skateboarding range is part of the Originals branch of Adidas, and the mindset behind is to create new product based in the brand history. Then it only depends on how far it can move away from the original influences, it can be super close (like the Lucas premiere) or a more loose interpretation.
But out of my head I can think of a bunch which are not a direct "recycling". Both Sucius, Silas 2nd shoe and ADV, Busenitz ADV, Lucas first two shoes... Actually the Lucas Premiere is the only one I remember that was pretty close to an archive shoe.
Busenitz pro might be heavy influenced by old football shoes but its still a new silhouette. Silas Pro looked like a bulkier Marathon TR, but its still diferent aswell...
I didn't know about the originals things...so it does make sense. Busenitz pro is a modified copa mundial, new silouhette might be a stretch, both Lucas revamped adidas indoors, Suciu would be a mix of copa and gazelle? I mean overall it's all very very similar looking visually unless you really go into details. What bugs me is that they actually do more interesting stuff like the palace collabs, actually bringing modern elements and can't seem to come up with anything really exciting for pro models? Oh yeah actually the new nakel.....

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #30421 on: May 23, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
Huf is doing another dylan. Driver release for his birthday. Calf hair leather this time but still 150 pairs at $275 each.

https://www.hufworldwide.com/huf_en_us/dylan-driver-shoe-for-dylan-rieder

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -522
« Reply #30422 on: May 23, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Have there yet been a pro model original design out of adidas that isn't an old recycled shoe? It seems only the skateboard branch is affected too.
[close]

The skateboarding range is part of the Originals branch of Adidas, and the mindset behind is to create new product based in the brand history. Then it only depends on how far it can move away from the original influences, it can be super close (like the Lucas premiere) or a more loose interpretation.
But out of my head I can think of a bunch which are not a direct "recycling". Both Sucius, Silas 2nd shoe and ADV, Busenitz ADV, Lucas first two shoes... Actually the Lucas Premiere is the only one I remember that was pretty close to an archive shoe.
Busenitz pro might be heavy influenced by old football shoes but its still a new silhouette. Silas Pro looked like a bulkier Marathon TR, but its still diferent aswell...
[close]
I didn't know about the originals things...so it does make sense. Busenitz pro is a modified copa mundial, new silouhette might be a stretch, both Lucas revamped adidas indoors, Suciu would be a mix of copa and gazelle? I mean overall it's all very very similar looking visually unless you really go into details. What bugs me is that they actually do more interesting stuff like the palace collabs, actually bringing modern elements and can't seem to come up with anything really exciting for pro models? Oh yeah actually the new nakel.....

The slip on boot thing? That’s not a pro shoe but a colorway. Also I’ll try and find it but if you watch the original video for the Silas 1 they explained this mentality and show him in Germany( i think) going through the old shoes with an archivist and him grabbing certain models to bring to designers. The whole process was actually cool but that’s pre boost hypebeast era adidas , now they don’t care as much it feels like.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2369
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30423 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
"showing a ninja love" Is Rodrigo TX a juggalo? Does this question warrant its own thread?
[close]

ha its replacing "nigga" with ninja..   https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=my%20ninja

So are the Juggalos.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #30424 on: May 23, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
That Silas 1 vid was great, looks like he was heavily influenced by old zx models too
Fuck I love that shoe #brokenrecord

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #30425 on: May 24, 2018, 12:23:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah c'mon, the Suciu is not similar to a gazelle, and the copa I can only see maybe the stitching in the toe box.
First lucas is not a revamped indoor shoe either, It might be influenced by it but its a new shoe. 
Also if you look at diferent archive models form adidas and you dont care that much about details they all look alike. Pick a bermuda, a tobacco, or a gazelle and for the regular folk they are all the same shoe.
So to me a Busenitz is a new silhouette, they are much bulkier, different details, and the outsole comes from the spezial.
And actually with collabs like Palace is where's not much new stuff is happening, its just cleaver recycling... The o'readon was a old 90's shoe (infamous kalis ad), the palace pro is an gazelle indoor with a adizero clip in the heel, the same thing with EQT, but in primeknit, etc...
I also blame this whole resemblance to the 3 stripes effect, they do make shoes look similar to each other, when a swoosh for example, can be used in a more varied way.

And yeah GISM, the Silas 1 is a damn great shoe. I wear my pair from time to time and no one in the office knows what they are ahah #underrated

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -132
« Reply #30426 on: May 24, 2018, 12:44:26 AM »
Good shoe nerdery here!

I agree with you skatan on three stripes being kind of overpowering design element. They should use more of the "leaf" one for simple models..

But adidas's whole shtick is retro inspired athletic kicks so thats what you get.. And it's been proven to be a good formula for these big brands.

Other than say Janoskis what pro models have been original designs and successful? Talking about the big sports brands only. Most of the P-rods tanked, cons is does not have one so that isn't remodeling of their classic, NB# is all about their numbers, adidas I'm not sure maybe busenitz if that shoe qualifies..

Todays market is about recognizability and that's why these mega corporations are "winning". People want everybody know they got that cloud ya dig??

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30427 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:52 AM »
Yeah listen all i'm trying to say is after seeing TX shoe which i don't doubt is great to wear and looks cool, i'm a little bummed to not see something a little bit more exciting and creative. Something different. Adidas definitely has the financial ressources and probably have some extremely talented designers dying to try new stuff.

Like for exemple maybe mixing some forum hi:

with some elements of this

End up with something in that vain, maybe less bulky..

That looks like a TX shoe to me. (just my opinion)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:28:51 AM by Manolo »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #30428 on: May 24, 2018, 04:14:03 AM »
Yeah listen all i'm trying to say is after seeing TX shoe which i don't doubt is great to wear and looks cool, i'm a little bummed to not see something a little bit more exciting and creative. Something different. Adidas definitely has the financial ressources and probably have some extremely talented designers dying to try new stuff.

Like for exemple maybe mixing some forum hi:

with some elements of this

End up with something in that vain, maybe less bulky..

But that in the end is not creating something new right? its just picking a existing shoe and had some tech, make it more skateable, which is what they are already doing with the skate versions of classics like the Samba ADV, Superstar Vulc, etc...
Also that TX shoe is only a colorway of the Samba ADV.
And funny thing is that they actually did a Forum Skate version for TX back when he was in DGK (was not really a pro model tho)

The thing about using old references for pro models is that it helps to set the mood when starting a design.
Usually they are clueless of what they want, they just know the shoes they like.
So whats better than going to archive, pick proven successful shoes they enjoy to wear and start from there?
I think with the Lucas premiere it just happened that they found a shoe that was basically all he wanted.
Why start from scratch?
It was a super old reference so they still had to open all the molds, reshape it, basically create the shoe all over again, so its not like they picked a gazelle, stamped his name on it and are saving money with this...

Also other point would be that while you are bummed that nothing super fresh is happening, there's loads of other consumers that just want the same boring black & white vulc shoe all over again (probably the biggest part), so you need to take that in consideration.
It would be great to push the boundaries in every design but it just doesnt work like that...

Still, what I can say is that I've seen some cool stuff thats coming towards the end of the year and I'm excited to try out. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:50:19 PM by Bubblegum Tate »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30429 on: May 24, 2018, 04:29:07 AM »
Hey i agree with you, i'm not saying you're wrong and i'm not saying adidas sucks either, just to my taste it would be nice to see more variants in shapes and type of shoes in the adi skate line, more risk taking.
The photoshop i made in 5 min was just an exemple it could a million other things, it's good to start from a classic not saying they should do something from scratch, but i wish they would push the modfications and mixing with present tech further than what i would rate as 4 out of 10 level of creation. Funny about the dgk collab.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:32:50 AM by Manolo »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #30430 on: May 24, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »
Hey i agree with you, i'm not saying you're wrong and i'm not saying adidas sucks either, just to my taste it would be nice to see more variants in shapes and type of shoes in the adi skate line, more risk taking.
The photoshop i made in 5 min was just an exemple it could a million other things, it's good to start from a classic not saying they should do something from scratch, but i wish they would push the modfications and mixing with present tech further than what i would rate as 4 out of 10 level of creation. Funny about the dgk collab.

ahaha Yeah, I'm not taking it personal, just trying to explain designers point of view... I also thing skateboarding is not really the perfect field to push boundaries of footwear design. It still is a super conservative consumer and its hard to convince people in the company to try something they are not sure if its gonna succeed.

But as a footwear geek that appreciates new stuff in footwear and likes to try different things I can totally understand your point of view.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30431 on: May 24, 2018, 06:49:48 AM »
It still is a super conservative consumer and its hard to convince people in the company to try something they are not sure if its gonna succeed.

I'm not sure consumers are that conservative, companies not wanting to invest in anything risky is most likely more of the problem.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #30432 on: May 24, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »
Expand Quote
It still is a super conservative consumer and its hard to convince people in the company to try something they are not sure if its gonna succeed.
[close]

I'm not sure consumers are that conservative, companies not wanting to invest in anything risky is most likely more of the problem.

Tell me the latest progressive designs that didnt flopped?
Cant think of any... Nike tries to push new stuff all the time, they never sell. Out of my head I can think of the Project BA (my all time favorite), the One Shot, All the P.ROD range, the Koston 3, Dunk elite, etc...
In Adidas, the Boost ADV, the Dorado, all Silas models...
Cons CLS was also a great shoe that no one cared about.
Even with Core companies same shit. Emerica Westgate Runner, 'eS Sesla, Etnies marana elite or whatever it was called, I dont think any of those were a big success.
The skateboarder consumer is not interested or just not willing to pay for those progressive designs, because yeah, they cost more than a regular vulc shoe and when you go through shoes so quick you dont want to spend the extra buck on it.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

thespacewolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #30433 on: May 24, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
The whole 3ST series Adidas is trying to push is pretty innovative (not saying they look good) but it's definitely a step in a newer model direction. Nike revives a lot of old models and pushing them as new (Shane - Janoski pro model really?) I can agree that pushing new models is difficult because it's never going to be perceived well.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30434 on: May 24, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Tell me the latest progressive designs that didnt flopped?
Cant think of any... Nike tries to push new stuff all the time, they never sell. Out of my head I can think of the Project BA (my all time favorite), the One Shot, All the P.ROD range, the Koston 3, Dunk elite, etc...
In Adidas, the Boost ADV, the Dorado, all Silas models...
Cons CLS was also a great shoe that no one cared about.
Even with Core companies same shit. Emerica Westgate Runner, 'eS Sesla, Etnies marana elite or whatever it was called, I dont think any of those were a big success.
The skateboarder consumer is not interested or just not willing to pay for those progressive designs, because yeah, they cost more than a regular vulc shoe and when you go through shoes so quick you dont want to spend the extra buck on it.

That's true and kinda sad. You forgot about the D3 though haha. And the Janoski was a fucking boat shoe, who would have bet on that one? Palace collabs are always sold out..might be more hype related than the actual shoe design though..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:42:56 AM by Manolo »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #30435 on: May 24, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »
I think those adidas grey/black 3st.001 is my favorite new/original design.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #30436 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

tangent

• Rep: 10
  • ...i'm not trying to be the best at exercising
« Reply #30437 on: May 24, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
The whole 3ST series Adidas is trying to push is pretty innovative (not saying they look good) but it's definitely a step in a newer model direction. Nike revives a lot of old models and pushing them as new (Shane - Janoski pro model really?) I can agree that pushing new models is difficult because it's never going to be perceived well.

The 3ST .003 that's coming out end of this year is amazing.  I hate to be one of those people that drop a shoe and don't show a pic...

but fuck it i'm that dude

Shuh

• Rep: -1
« Reply #30438 on: May 25, 2018, 02:11:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 3ST .003 that's coming out end of this year is amazing.  I hate to be one of those people that drop a shoe and don't show a pic...

Well can you describe it?

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #30439 on: May 25, 2018, 04:25:04 AM »
Adidas, just re-release the Ronan, those were good!

( maybe with just a few updates )
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:39:18 AM by UserFame »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #30440 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:32 AM »

dammm can't wait

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #30441 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dammm can't wait

They did last year but they were Journey’s exclusive.

“We tried again but no one bought them. Back in the vault.”

hey pickle

« Reply #30442 on: May 25, 2018, 12:52:25 PM »

tangent

« Reply #30443 on: May 25, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Similar functional things from the 1st two models, but 'less future' and more classic kind of look.

If the first two introduced a new design language, this one kind of 'pulls it back' into more classic shoe territory

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #30444 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Similar functional things from the 1st two models, but 'less future' and more classic kind of look.

If the first two introduced a new design language, this one kind of 'pulls it back' into more classic shoe territory

I dont agree actually... I think its a bit more progressive design than the 1st ones, but yeah it still keeps a classic vibe to it. My favourite Scott J design to date. Cant wait to try a pair!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tangent

« Reply #30445 on: May 25, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I dont agree actually... I think its a bit more progressive design than the 1st ones, but yeah it still keeps a classic vibe to it. My favourite Scott J design to date. Cant wait to try a pair!

Fair enough... I feel like the first ones are more 'future' with the translucent bits, sock fit, and visible torsion where this one has that... but it's 'under the hood' yet still exposed?

Just contradicting myself at every corner.

They're sweet, really good fit, shape, and instant break in

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #30446 on: May 25, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »

This would never happen at Adidas skate - it has a well cushioned sole unit.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #30447 on: May 26, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
Sk.A.T.A.N., do you know if they're keeping the Suciu 2's around for awhile?  I think it's way better than his first shoe, and I actually appreciate the Adiprene insole, unlike most.  I work on my feet 40 hours a week and have to wear dress shoes at work, so my 34 going on 60 year old feet and knees love the support of the adiprene.  I'm just wondering if I need to brace myself for it being discontinued, or if I should stock up?

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #30448 on: May 26, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
Sk.A.T.A.N., do you know if they're keeping the Suciu 2's around for awhile?  I think it's way better than his first shoe, and I actually appreciate the Adiprene insole, unlike most.  I work on my feet 40 hours a week and have to wear dress shoes at work, so my 34 going on 60 year old feet and knees love the support of the adiprene.  I'm just wondering if I need to brace myself for it being discontinued, or if I should stock up?

I would just invest in some good aftermarket insoles/orthotics and wear whatever shoes you want.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #30449 on: May 26, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would just invest in some good aftermarket insoles/orthotics and wear whatever shoes you want.

I really like these!  Over the last several years I've skated Ronan's, Busenitz Pro's, Busenitz ADV's, Suciu's, and Suciu 2's, and I think the 2's are my favorite.  I'm only a couple weeks into them and have had to super glue a lace, but they work great for me.