Author Topic: What happened to Darrell Stanton?  (Read 25301 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3431
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: What happened to Darrell Stanton?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
although i don't agree with some statements he made i hate how everyone is bashing the dude. I definitely would of used better words but then again its the job of media to make everything he says sound worst than it does  Hes had his good moments.  I remember seeing him skate up to the local park and give all the little kids boards,shirts, stickers etc out the back of his car and hung out with them and answered all questions with a smile.  I never seen negative things in vids or in person.  i feel theres some truth to the LE situation he should've went harder and just gave it his all but also at the same time he dont have shoe sponsor cash or other checks coming in so compared to what he was making to go down to le where im sure its royalty checks only dont make sense for a skater who was one of the top dudes.  at the end of the day keeping it real with homies dont pay the bills but also can fuck you over. Keep ya head up darrell.
[close]

Although I don't necessarily disagree with your statement about "the media", the way I understand it is that magazine interviews are usually published word for word unless there's a note about cutting away...that's the whole point of them. If people gave interviews and then media outlets took that, edited it all to hell to make people say different things, and then published interviews where, say, Brian Anderson was saying, "I have...a girl....friend who....knows that I.....am....not.....gay," no one would ever give interviews.

When the media uses snippets of sound bites to make a point for their own means, then yes, they're fabricating an angle, and that sort of thing does happen constantly. But this one unfortunately is on Darrell.
[close]

i interviewed some dudes for magazines- not any big ones, so this might be the reason- and shit always got messed up and things were taken out of context. and i gotta say it was never in the favor of the skater...

[close]

Magazines make edits, they revise what people say and correct grammar, they change sentence structure and cut questions down/out to fit to the pages. It's called journalism, if they didnt do that interviews would basically be stenography because each one would be so long/boring whenever someone doesnt have a good answer to a question. Might seem lame but thats the way it is/was/always will be.
[close]

i know what you and don t even wanna speak against it! i just gotta say that there are also bad journalists... that fuck shit up.

but who cares shit happens... and it s not like it happened to someone important

LOL...well I asked Darrell and he said that HE was important.

Just kidding.

Seriously though...I understand the need for editing because reading a transcript would just be boring as hell, but you can't tell me that Corey Duffel said, "One day I heard this racist jerk say that he thinks Stevie Williams is a trashy nigger," and that was edited to, "One day I heard this racist jerk say that he thinks Stevie Williams is a trashy nigger."

I know stuff is shuffled around, and I know there are bad journalists too (I mean, I DID watch The Wire), but anyone with any shred of journalistic or human integrity would not change the intent of someone's statement around and not catch shit for it from somewhere.

I'm a starry-eyed idealist I guess.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
Expand Quote
He's got that raw power that needs be harnessed.
[close]
What the fuck to statements like this even mean? How can young Darrell harness his almighty power? Please explain.

He reminds me of Bobby Fisher - good but crazy.

Was that explanation white enough for you...fuckin' Subaru drivers, man...

Sk8D00D - Hit me up with a gif that embodies this sentiment.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2013, 12:29:20 PM »
hahaha the best part in that interview was "wherever im going to go, its going to be a big deal." "Life Extension isnt ready for such a high calliber skater like myself"
I know who does he think he is andy schrock?

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »
go watch that nollie back noseblunt again. dude can say whatever he wants.

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with a little confidence, but i think the reason why he got booted was because he didn't produce.  All those people he compared himself to are always on the grind and getting shit done.  They have a work ethic that Darell obviously lacks.  Being overly cocky never helps in skateboarding.  The Austin Seaholm reference was spot on.   

And Danny Gonzales can be the new gonz if he wants to.  He just has to prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt.  You also kinda have to be batshit crazy too. 

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=70719.msg1928247#msg1928247 date=1370371384
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
What the fuck to statements like this even mean? How can young Darrell harness his almighty power? Please explain.
[close]

Well I sure hope Darrell can harness that raw power!

Will Easley

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Compare and contrast this to Da SkaTeDood and rap.  Anyone?
[close]

I just said I had confidence in myself to be successful. I never put myself in the same class of living legends or shitted on any of my friends. Funny how y'all bring up my rap career on SLAP more than I do nowadays. That thread did what it was supposed to do.
[close]

I'm bringing up your boisterous mentality, not your rap career.  Which you had stated was commonplace within your subculture/group or whatever.

No, you didn't just say you had confidence to be successful, you at one time claimed that you were going to revolutionize shit, or be at the very top.  You may have even put a date on it, much like lil wizzy with skateboarding, in a year i'll be the best type thing. I don't recall for certain, but you made some outrageous claims at one time.  Sure you've had some personal issues, so maybe you'll still get there, but that wasn't my point.

[close]

So being ambitious, setting goals & putting pressure on yourself to accomplish them is a bad thing now? Self-confidence isn't cool anymore? right...

Me saying some seemingly outlandish but genuine statements about my career plans on SLAP is nowhere close to talking down on the only company that'd actually pick you up & claiming that what you've already accomplished puts you at "legend" status. Especially when that's published in Thrasher for everybody to see. Anything I've said has always been about ME and me only. Darrell talked about LE in a negative light as he made a foolish pitch to DGK, then once he started comparing his "legacy" he had more unnecessary name-drops than any verse written by The Game. We both may not lack for confidence, but its not really the same thing.
[close]

Your first statement has nothing to do with anything mentioned or implied.  You're being defensive for no reason.

Second section is pretty much unrelated too.  You really could have just posted your last sentence.

So you ask someone to compare & contrast, I do exactly that, & now I'm being "defensive"? lol, shoulda just kept your mouth shut bud.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=70719.msg1928247#msg1928247 date=1370371384
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Well I sure hope Darrell can harness that raw power!

Power is nothing without skill.

Jackburton

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
As someone else already pointed out, he nollie back noseblunted clipper, dude can say whatever he wants.  Sometimes being really good at something will make you a little crazy.  That interview wasn't even that bad and the interviewer came across as patronizing/condescending.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with a little confidence, but i think the reason why he got booted was because he didn't produce.  All those people he compared himself to are always on the grind and getting shit done.  They have a work ethic that Darell obviously lacks.  Being overly cocky never helps in skateboarding.  The Austin Seaholm reference was spot on.   

And Danny Gonzales can be the new gonz if he wants to.  He just has to prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt.  You also kinda have to be batshit crazy too. 

Mariano disappeared for a decade to do drugs...
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So did I...had a great time.
Forgot a lot of tricks.

Dick Rogers

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 07:09:14 AM »
If you read the interview in a Muhammad Ali voice, it sounds much better. People must be afraid of a confident black man.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:15:41 AM by Dick in a butt »

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Forgot a lot of tricks.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2013, 09:33:14 AM »
As someone else already pointed out, he nollie back noseblunted clipper, dude can say whatever he wants.  Sometimes being really good at something will make you a little crazy.  That interview wasn't even that bad and the interviewer came across as patronizing/condescending.

doing a few gnarly tricks doesnt give you the type of entitlement hes giving himself.

prime example.

kook nukem

« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »

Looks like he got dressed in the dark.

jimi420

« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Looks like he got dressed in the dark.
Your only comment is on his clothes? His foot is fucking sideways! He may not be on Danny Way levels like he claims to be but this dude is one of the most stylish in the game, he's got a good bag of tricks, and can generally do everything. The only problem is that people don't know how to handle confidence and when someone is outspoken about their abilities.

And black people can generally wear what we want and it'll get a pass, except for Wayne, he's just gone regular.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -304
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Forgot a lot of tricks.
[close]
Darrell had mad coverage in anything you could think of around the time. Just no industry support after the element thing.  I dont believe it was lack of work ethic its more of who is willing partner with you on getting the material seen.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »
Why isn't Darrell Stanton/Forrest Edwards/(insert other cocky bastard here) hooked up? Because the thing those guys fail to understand is that it's the skateboarding world (industry and everyday skateboarders) that judges what one deserves. This isn't just a skill-based sport. You can't pull that arrogant Muhammad Ali shit here. If you aren't likeable, then you aren't marketable.

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
Youre seriously going to compare this dude to Carlos Ruiz?

Yu Dum

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
Why isn't Darrell Stanton/Forrest Edwards/(insert other cocky bastard here) hooked up? Because the thing those guys fail to understand is that it's the skateboarding world (industry and everyday skateboarders) that judges what one deserves. This isn't just a skill-based sport. You can't pull that arrogant Muhammad Ali shit here. If you aren't likeable, then you aren't marketable.
What you're implying is that Forrest and Darrell aren't liked in the world of skateboarding. That would be a false claim seeing as nearly everybody has seen Forrest's Thrasher part and liked him. Darrell is also well liked according to most of his videos and some of this thread. Take, for example, Keelan Dadd. He's an arrogant douche but he's well liked in the world skateboarding and is very marketable. Also, Figgy. Dude's a total dickhead, but he sells a fuckton of boards and people still like him. Which leads to my point, they're both very marketable and well liked in the industry.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
and also Forrest is on threat, iceman doesn't kno shit
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
fuck the haters

Hatechild

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
Heard he might be bi-polar and is difficult to deal with at times. Hope someone reaches out to him in the industry because he's definitely a unique talent.

S.E.

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
i dont give a fuck if darrells a kook or not, he's good as fuck.   He's consistantly had sick parts.  Free your mind, roll forever, chichagof, 2 element parts, a real street part, P rods Proof video....as well as ground breaking tricks at historic spots with a unique style and trick selection which today should be even more highly regarded due to the robotic lifeless android style skating thats currently "hot" right now.  

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
What happened to darrell stanton? His ego.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
Does anyone else with his nickname was "Ding Dang" so that people would call him Darrell "Ding Dang" Stanton? I wish that was true.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
He's consistantly had sick parts. �Free your mind, roll forever, chichagof, 2 element parts, a real street part, P rods Proof video....as well as ground breaking tricks at historic spots with a unique style and trick selection which today should be even more highly regarded due to the robotic lifeless android style skating thats currently "hot" right now. �

all i was saying with the carlos ruiz thing is that a few gnarly tricks dont make you one of the best dudes to ever ride a skateboard. saying "he nollie back nose blunted clipper, he can say whatever he wants" is a bit outrageous is all im saying. obviously darrell has more than a few tricks hes put down, hes got decent footage in all of these said videos. ill give him the status of one of the better pros out when he was hot, but hes not even close to being on the level of the dudes he mentioned in his interview. dude is definitely too full of himself, and its (probably) that type of attitude that are keeping the big name sponsors away. if he thinks hes too high profile for LE, hes dreaming.

and id agree with the second part of this half way. id rather see footage of darrell than a robot ledge monkey super am. but these robot kids are getting hooked up because they have no ego and will probably be down to take whatever offer is thrown at them. in the matter of who gets hooked up, what is a company going to go after? the guy who has an idea of how much hes worth and isnt willing to settle for anything less than a high profile deal, or the kid who nobody knows that will you can pay a fraction of that to? its business. if there was a company who wanted to give darrell what he thinks hes worth, hed be hooked up already.

but what do i know?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What you're implying is that Forrest and Darrell aren't liked in the world of skateboarding. That would be a false claim seeing as nearly everybody has seen Forrest's Thrasher part and liked him. Darrell is also well liked according to most of his videos and some of this thread. Take, for example, Keelan Dadd. He's an arrogant douche but he's well liked in the world skateboarding and is very marketable. Also, Figgy. Dude's a total dickhead, but he sells a fuckton of boards and people still like him. Which leads to my point, they're both very marketable and well liked in the industry.

I agree. Darrell’s attitude is not why he’s not hooked up. I think skating is just getting in with the right people and that is what he doesn’t have. He burned some real bad bridges already at DLX, then with Plan B and Element he seemed to just not care about and then he diminished LE as if it wasn’t legit. Dude is just limiting himself when he shouldn’t. DGK is just way too stacked for him to be setting his sights on them. He just made some bad choices really and unfortunately it’s biting him in his ass.

The whole Forrest thing I just don’t get. Attitude aside, he’s a total money maker. Dude would bring in a decent amount of business to anyone who would get him on and it’s not like he’s lazy. Dude puts out clips and that is all skaters want to see. ? 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2013, 12:40:57 PM »
^^ Forrest on skate mental would be perfect !