Author Topic: BASTIEN x THRASHER PART  (Read 15902 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BASTIEN x THRASHER PART
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 07:18:50 AM »
epicly bastien, come on odell. would have to be one of the most interesting ones to date. this part is like the greatest mystery in skateboarding.

shark tits

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »
All I have heard was that he threatened to kill a rep and was cut...

Second hand info,  but from  a flip rider.

The whole racist / conspiracy thing seems way off. 

Also that part wasn't such a surprise,  in his Antiz part he fakie flipped an insane set.

Gnarly skater.
absolutely. i was joking off of sheffledge's claim of racism. if he was the french equivalent of 'hood' and scared a rep, i guess that would do it although i'm surprised another team wouldn't pick him up. maybe he shagged geoff's bird?

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 07:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
What else are you hiding Flip? A never before seen Alex Chalmers part?

Seriously though that part was crazy. Just wish the Thrasher video player worked better.
[close]
They do have an Alex Chalmers part. He filmed a full part for Really Sorry and sent it to them. The idiots didn't put it on because "it didn't fit". Chalmers said so himself in an interview.
I swear they were all snorting mountains of coke then.
Really? thats fucked..Bastien's tricks are insane imagine doing all those tricks and for years telling people "I did this trick here but dont know where the footage is at" that must suck... i know he's from france but where are his parents from? I can't remember if it was Ivory Coast or somewhere else in Africa...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:26:03 AM by Tarela »

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 07:45:32 AM »
Great fast style, way ahead of his time. He could h,ave even been soty back in the day if this came out, not like that even matters at all. So happy to see this footage, at least glad It's now at least.

shark tits

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 07:47:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Seriously though that part was crazy. Just wish the Thrasher video player worked better.
[close]
They do have an Alex Chalmers part. He filmed a full part for Really Sorry and sent it to them. The idiots didn't put it on because "it didn't fit". Chalmers said so himself in an interview.
[close]
Really? thats fucked..Bastien's tricks are insane imagine doing all those tricks and for years telling people "I did this trick here but dont know where the footage is at" that must suck... i know he's from france but where are his parents from? I can't remember if it was Ivory Coast or somewhere else in Africa...

according to johnny rotten 'he's from the congo and passing himself off as french at the moment'

Fastfreddy

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »
This is going to sound strange, but in my opinion I can draw a some comparison between Bastien and Nyjah's tricks. This part only proves that if Nyjah put some oomf into his shit that it could be much more exciting to watch.

TheElectricOne

• Rep: -2
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
Bastien, to me, seems like the Rasheed Wallace of skateboarding in that he's got a weirdish skill set (cab double flips, that funky crouch) and a sort of polarizing swagger that not too many other skateboarders have. Nyjah is like the Carmelo, where his tricks and style seem really contrived and thought out, whereas Bastien's just got that outlandish style and self-cheering that seems innocent.

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 08:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

according to johnny rotten 'he's from the congo and passing himself off as french at the moment'

Thanks it was Congo! forgot in what interview i heard that

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -362
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 08:32:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There's always been talk about him being a huge dick so maybe that was part of it.
[close]

Thats so, so, so, so wrong. The real reason is this one:

As you all now can see, Bastien really was way ahead of his time and he skated on another level. So the flip guys took him to spots, lets say the tripple set in santa monica, and told him, bastien, just do a switch 360 flip and on another spot we want you to fakie flip it.

Bastien was not comfortable with this situation and the preasure they put on him, the sitatuion got heated up and the had one disussion after another. Since Bastien was a young, wild child from a very poor ghetto in france he could not react to this things in a appropriate way.

Now could have been the time for rowlay and arto to come out of the closet and do some real talk, but no ... as exspected, they have nothing good to say.

Thanks to Thrasher for making this one happen and thanks to Bastien for stepping on skateboard again, especially when you know, that the guys you trusted once, fuck with you so bad, that they "lose" a part like this.

[close]

That sounds like a lot of shit.

Flip let Penny vanish and have kept Boulala on even after his heavy accident and Shane's death.

I think there is more to it all than him being pressured in to tricks.

I always thought of Bastien as French too.
[close]

glad your posting sounds even more like shit. Maybe I am just all mad, because the guys from flip where holding this amazing footage back for soo long.

I really hope this part helps bastien to finally get the sponsors he derserves.

He still rips to this day:

He skates Nike SBs but I cant find out which board it is.

Flip was pressuring him into doing tricks most def, I think he said something about them wanting him to back lip like a 20 stair or something like that and he wasn't about because he didn't wanna fucking die

Stories as convoluted as what happened between flip/Bastien always have a lot of sides to them but I feel like that has some truth to it

This definitely got me more hyped than the Nyjah part though
And to whomever was saying Arto is British or whatever, he's Finnish

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 08:39:38 AM »
The politics of business suck.  Imagine filming this shit and then it gets held hostage for 10 years.  Pretty brutal.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
it's unfathomable to think how ahead of it's time that part is.  It's 10 years old, and I still was like "HOLY SHIT" plenty of times.  It's really mindbending.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
This part in even Extremely Sorry would of been mindblowing and probably the best part of that year. I agree with whoever said O'dell should do an epicaly Bastian, or as i've said many times before one on the whole team from the Sorry era. So much stuff to cover between Penny, Apples and Bastian, I truly find them the most interesting team of all time, a bunch of guys from areas not known for skating having some of the sickest dudes of that generation. Bastian got robbed and i hope he gets either board sponsor (like Girl or Habitat) or gets on a team that will possibly pay him a shitload (like Element, Plan B or whatever this P-Rod gold shit turns out to be).

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There's always been talk about him being a huge dick so maybe that was part of it.
[close]

As you all now can see, Bastien really was way ahead of his time and he skated on another level. So the flip guys took him to spots, lets say the tripple set in santa monica, and told him, bastien, just do a switch 360 flip and on another spot we want you to fakie flip it.

Bastien was not comfortable with this situation and the preasure they put on him, the sitatuion got heated up and the had one disussion after another. Since Bastien was a young, wild child from a very poor ghetto in france he could not react to this things in a appropriate way.

Now could have been the time for rowlay and arto to come out of the closet and do some real talk, but no ... as exspected, they have nothing good to say.

Thanks to Thrasher for making this one happen and thanks to Bastien for stepping on skateboard again, especially when you know, that the guys you trusted once, fuck with you so bad, that they "lose" a part like this.

[close]

Flip let Penny vanish and have kept Boulala on even after his heavy accident and Shane's death.

[close]

glad your posting sounds even more like shit. Maybe I am just all mad, because the guys from flip where holding this amazing footage back for soo long.

[close]

Flip was pressuring him into doing tricks most def, I think he said something about them wanting him to back lip like a 20 stair or something like that and he wasn't about because he didn't wanna fucking die

Stories as convoluted as what happened between flip/Bastien always have a lot of sides to them but I feel like that has some truth to it

Ultimately, it came down to egos. Bastien's side of the story, as told to Skateboarder Mag, was that the Flip TM was pressuring him to do shit like kf back lip El Toro and Bastien stopped putting up with it because he is the pro, and the TM could never do anything close to that in the skate game. Bastien also pointed out that he was basically just living at night at lit up handrail spots and it was killing the joy of skating for him. Flip's TM's ego couldn't handle Bastien's behavior/ego and got him kicked off everything, started rumors about drugs etc. It seems pretty plausible when you consider Flip's sponsorship model: recruit foreign kids, import them to the US, and then have them chuck themselves down huge sets and rails, then repeat with a fresh batch. They even made D Gonz film a second part for Extremely Sorry because he grew too much during filming. Rowley has always been complicit in these events because he has an ownership stake in the brand. His skating is unfadable, but he sat right there while his buddy Gabor dropped the screwdriver sodomy story and didn't even bat an eye, so his ethics are demonstrably questionable when business is involved.

Penny 'disappeared' because he has legal issues which prevent him from being in the US. They haven't affected his board sales, so Flip has no incentive to cut him. The brand clearly stuck by Boulala to try and save some face because the Shane Cross' death and Arto's departure to the Workshop was such a black eye for them.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3432
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Hey guys. Although I haven't a fucking clue as to what happened between Flip and Bastien, and I don't even know anybody who works in the "industry", I'm going to put my opinion down on here and if you disagree with it you're a faggot. Thank you.

phillipjayfry

• Rep: 3
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 09:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Ultimately, it came down to egos. Bastien's side of the story, as told to Skateboarder Mag, was that the Flip TM was pressuring him to do shit like kf back lip El Toro and Bastien stopped putting up with it because he is the pro, and the TM could never do anything close to that in the skate game. Bastien also pointed out that he was basically just living at night at lit up handrail spots and it was killing the joy of skating for him. Flip's TM's ego couldn't handle Bastien's behavior/ego and got him kicked off everything, started rumors about drugs etc. It seems pretty plausible when you consider Flip's sponsorship model: recruit foreign kids, import them to the US, and then have them chuck themselves down huge sets and rails, then repeat with a fresh batch. They even made D Gonz film a second part for Extremely Sorry because he grew too much during filming. Rowley has always been complicit in these events because he has an ownership stake in the brand. His skating is unfadable, but he sat right there while his buddy Gabor dropped the screwdriver sodomy story and didn't even bat an eye, so his ethics are demonstrably questionable when business is involved.

Penny 'disappeared' because he has legal issues which prevent him from being in the US. They haven't affected his board sales, so Flip has no incentive to cut him. The brand clearly stuck by Boulala to try and save some face because the Shane Cross' death and Arto's departure to the Workshop was such a black eye for them.
Chase probably gets first dibs on screw driving the new batch of Flip kids.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »
Gonna leave this here; http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2011/10/06/squashing-rumors-with-bastien-salabanzi/
Nice link! Sure would like to get the other side of the story. I'm pretty sure FLIP didn't kick him off just because he wouldn't kickflip back lip El Toro. That and the " I've never done coke, I just have gnarly alergys from wood. That's why I was always messing with my nose," seemed a little suspect.
ableSkateMag.com

shark tits

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 10:25:49 AM »
Nice link! Sure would like to get the other side of the story. I'm pretty sure FLIP didn't kick him off just because he wouldn't kickflip back lip El Toro. That and the " I've never done coke, I just have gnarly alergys from wood. That's why I was always messing with my nose," seemed a little suspect.
from experience i don't think someone could focus and skate on coke. meth, sure but not coke so i'm inclined to believe him. there's that wacky fiction blog that centers on jason lee and bastien does lots of coke in that but in real life i don't think he is even friends w/ jason lee.

steam vent

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:43 AM »
Amazing skating, so good at going backwards damn. It would be fucked if this was promo for him getting back on flip and that's why it became un"lost" 

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »
from experience i don't think someone could focus and skate on coke. meth, sure but not coke so i'm inclined to believe him. there's that wacky fiction blog that centers on jason lee and bastien does lots of coke in that but in real life i don't think he is even friends w/ jason lee.
Yeah, I never thought he was a cokehead but I find it hard to believe he never dabbled in it at all. I mean shit, everyone I knew in 2004-2005 was doing it (myself included). OK, well... Basically my scepticism started with the El Toro comment, from then on I started to think Bastien was being less than honest.
ableSkateMag.com

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, I never thought he was a cokehead but I find it hard to believe he never dabbled in it at all. I mean shit, everyone I knew in 2004-2005 was doing it (myself included). OK, well... Basically my scepticism started with the El Toro comment, from then on I started to think Bastien was being less than honest.

There's clearly more to the story, but it seems like Bastien has been careful to not throw everyone at Flip under the bus when he probably could.

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
All I have heard was that he threatened to kill a rep and was cut...

Second hand info,?  but from?  a flip rider.

The whole racist / conspiracy thing seems way off.? 

Also that part wasn't such a surprise,?  in his Antiz part he fakie flipped an insane set.

Gnarly skater.

bastien threatened to kill a rep and was cut...

chase gabor sodomized another child(s?) on two separate occasions and is the paid filmer for theberrics.com..

flip was never about 'hate kill destroy' ? (cept kids buttoles with srewdrivers)

Bambi

• Rep: -2
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
I really enjoyed this part and the Lewis clips were awesome.

dask8d00d

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
Bastien, to me, seems like the Rasheed Wallace of skateboarding in that he's got a weirdish skill set (cab double flips, that funky crouch) and a sort of polarizing swagger that not too many other skateboarders have. Nyjah is like the Carmelo, where his tricks and style seem really contrived and thought out, whereas Bastien's just got that outlandish style and self-cheering that seems innocent.

self-loathing gnarcissist

• Rep: -92
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
he threatened to kill a rep 

If this is true then it's the answer to all your questions.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit Bryan Wright really did have pull.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Bastien's Sorry part was way better

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Holy shit Bryan Wright really did have pull.
Ah ha ha ha! Where is 83money these days? Did we ever firmly establish it was Bwiann?

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -56
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
Bastien was batshit crazy around 2007 or something like that, when he was dropped. Smoking shitload of weed and probably some other stuff too, and just acting like an idiot. He was probably super hard to deal or communicate with.  I saw him in Prague, on Mystic cup, probably in 06, or 07, I dont really remember, maybe even more back in a day. He was probably high on cocaine or something like that, deffinitely not acting normal. Talking to his headphones, to the obstacles in the park. Then he kickflip backlipped a 13 stair rail first try, to fakie, and walked away..

Energy Turtle

• Rep: 15
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
Bastien was batshit crazy around 2007 or something like that, when he was dropped. Smoking shitload of weed and probably some other stuff too, and just acting like an idiot. He was probably super hard to deal or communicate with.  I saw him in Prague, on Mystic cup, probably in 06, or 07, I dont really remember, maybe even more back in a day. He was probably high on cocaine or something like that, deffinitely not acting normal. Talking to his headphones, to the obstacles in the park. Then he kickflip backlipped a 13 stair rail first try, to fakie, and walked away..
you talking about this?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:14:51 PM by Energy Turtle »