Author Topic: Skaters with fake or self-conscious "style"  (Read 11706 times)

Manolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
Re: Skaters with fake or self-conscious "style"
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 04:46:33 AM »
What's funny to me is how people act like they can't see it. Even when in front of before makeover/after videos they'll still try to legitimize that shit.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Look At Them Bounce

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2016, 05:08:21 AM »
Jordan Taylor's most recent part, not so much when he's doing tricks but when he lands. Definitely exaggerates it.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2016, 05:54:57 AM »
I've always enjoyed Brent Atchley's skating but that dude has the appearance of someone who fakes the goddamn funk pretty hard with that arm steez and that look how casual I am shit.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2016, 08:08:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Sometimes I feel like Miles Silva's style is a little fake. The landing of 1:24 doesn't look natural at all.

Also dudes like Sean Pablo with the crouch and the weird (kinda feminine too?) arm flails when they skate. I refuse to believe that shits natural. Looks like a goddamn dance routine
[close]
that's a good example. as the video progresses, it gets more exaggerated too. I've noticed some dudes do this weird thing where they put their arms up at chest level after landing a trick. it looks unnatural. see 1:43 below.

I've noticed elijah berle do the same thing. or maybe I'm crazy and this is just how their arms move.
It looks to me like he's just off balance and bracing for a fall. Probably just a reflex because its hardly stylish.
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't fucking know about this one man.... I think quite possibly shit is just way too easy for this kid. I think his style is sick.
Silva or Pablo? I think Silva's is natural most of the time aside from a few tricks like the one I mentioned. I think the 8 tricks Sean Pablo can do are way too easy for him, which allows him to perfect his fake ass style on every one.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1616
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:25 AM »
The correct slap terminology which is missing from this thread is.....'contrived'.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 13
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
Sometimes I feel like Miles Silva's style is a little fake. The landing of 1:24 doesn't look natural at all.

Also dudes like Sean Pablo with the crouch and the weird (kinda feminine too?) arm flails when they skate. I refuse to believe that shits natural. Looks like a goddamn dance routine

To me, he is trying t hard to look like lucas...

raji

• Rep: 8
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »
prod

Chicken in a Can

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
Miles Silvas and Dylan are sick as fuck, I can't imagine doing some of that huge shit and thinking 'if i land this I'm gonna pose it out.' If they can do that, fuck it, kudos. You could put Luan in there if yr talking about those dudes like that. Also, in John Fitzgerald's case I would say he is definitely always bracing for a slam.

Smolik's style is the opposite of self-conscious, dude makes skating look fun, straight up.

Ronson Lambert is the only one that really comes to mind for 'fake.' Trevor Colden's style I would say is 'contrived.' Hate that twinkle toes shuffle on the board that he does to set up.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3433
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
Hard to believe anyone would ever think Sean Pablo is a phony.

I mean, if nothing else, he's associated with Dill, one of the most certifiably not-phony people who has ever been!

jomeara1

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »
Pudwell's style is so forced. I hear that naturally he's very smooth and graceful, sort-of like Antwuan, but his agent told him, "Nobody's going to notice you with a slick style like that," and next thing you know he was doing the horizontal lambada everywhere.

Yup.  First person that came to my mind was Torey Pudwill. 

Robert

• Rep: -1
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
Brad Cromer

asakusa75

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
that's a good example. as the video progresses, it gets more exaggerated too. I've noticed some dudes do this weird thing where they put their arms up at chest level after landing a trick. it looks unnatural. see 1:43 below.

I've noticed elijah berle do the same thing. or maybe I'm crazy and this is just how their arms move.
[close]
It looks to me like he's just off balance and bracing for a fall. Probably just a reflex because its hardly stylish.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't fucking know about this one man.... I think quite possibly shit is just way too easy for this kid. I think his style is sick.
[close]
Silva or Pablo? I think Silva's is natural most of the time aside from a few tricks like the one I mentioned. I think the 8 tricks Sean Pablo can do are way too easy for him, which allows him to perfect his fake ass style on every one.

Sorry, my bad . Miles Silvas.

blinkyy

• Rep: -18
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Sean Pablo is guilty as fuck.Sage is guilty as fuck how to people buy that shit.. yeah i always thought his arms look 'feminine" especially when pushing its forced forsure he was studying dill a bit much and even dill is guilty of forcing style its totally obvious on the pushes...oh yeah there also guilty of doing the same tricks over and over again so it only makes sense they try to add there little fake steez to there stock tricks

blinkyy

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
HAHAHAHAH That side 2 side of Ben Nordeberg ahahaha he went from Shane Cross R.I.P to Dylan Rieder haha fake steez forsure

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
Sean Pablo fucking sucks..

Kid is a below par poster boy for a fashion focused company determined to be the cool kids on the block to hide their subpar talent on a skateboard. Everything from what the kid wears..  to the way he tries sooo hard to "create" his own "style", comes off as contrived and meticulously planned out so that he can look a certain way. This fake kid is as hallow as it comes, and should just end up be another shawn powers with no talent other than to care too much what people think of him. The most unatural person on the face of this earth.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:52 PM »
Maybe I have "fake style", but it was my understanding that every skater tries to make themselves look better and more natural on a skateboard.

blinkyy

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
its a combination of many factors not just looks but i cant stand the over emphasis on certain things.... looking natural is just doing the trick with nothing added or nothing taken away torey pudwill to me looks natural thats how his body moves i dont think he tells himself ima make my arms go everywhere thats natural and his tricks are never basic stock

blinkyy

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 02:32:38 PM »
huge gino fan here  but even gino crosses the line a bit with the whole arms staying below sea level and the whole gorilla push with the right hand on the knee  ..Antwuan is the only one i feel can say that its natural and looks good doing it...you can tell when someones trynna fake the funk forsure

those pushes tho lol 15 pushes and 3 tricks cmon fuck that

check out that intro push tho haha
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:43:26 PM by blinkyy »

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
huge gino fan here  but even gino crosses the line a bit with the whole arms staying below sea level and the whole gorilla push with the right hand on the knee  ..Antwuan is the only one i feel can say that its natural and looks good doing it...you can tell when someones trynna fake the funk forsure

I wonder if he takes the whole "I'd rather watch Gino push" statement seriously, and thinks: "Dam, I DO push sick!!! AYOO Ima start dis line by pushin real cool n fast"

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 08:34:10 PM »
sean pablo doesn't really have a fake skate style, hes not good enough to fake it. he should probably lift some weights a lil bit, hes gonna break them lil chicken arms otherwise
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

RajeevWins

• Rep: 16
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Not really too familiar with Sean Pablo but I watched that part a few posts up, and it doesn't look like entirely fake (because that right arm is outta control) but his style definitely looks uhh heavily influenced.

Smolik's style definitely isn't fake or contrived. In my opinion, it has always looked like a direct extension of his personality.

I think the faster someone goes, the more natural they will look. Its harder to focus as much on making something look good when trying not to eat shit is the higher priority. Robson Lambert for example, probably wouldn't look like the hunchback of notregoddameboring if he skated faster...probably couldn't do half those ledge tricks either though.

Full disclaimer: I hate my own style. Growing up I always thought the kids who spent time critiquing how someone skated were fucking idiots, especially when they couldn't do half the tricks of the kids they talked about....then finally saw footage of myself skating as an adult and was repulsed haha. I spent most of 2013 re-learning how to flick, so I got a lil decent...but my arms are still the worst. Its like a jack-in-the-box popping open every time I ollie.

i came up through the "niggas don't skate days"

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 09:39:15 PM »
Not really too familiar with Sean Pablo but I watched that part a few posts up, and it doesn't look like entirely fake (because that right arm is outta control) but his style definitely looks uhh heavily influenced.

Smolik's style definitely isn't fake or contrived. In my opinion, it has always looked like a direct extension of his personality.

I think the faster someone goes, the more natural they will look. Its harder to focus as much on making something look good when trying not to eat shit is the higher priority. Robson Lambert for example, probably wouldn't look like the hunchback of notregoddameboring if he skated faster...probably couldn't do half those ledge tricks either though.

Full disclaimer: I hate my own style. Growing up I always thought the kids who spent time critiquing how someone skated were fucking idiots, especially when they couldn't do half the tricks of the kids they talked about....then finally saw footage of myself skating as an adult and was repulsed haha. I spent most of 2013 re-learning how to flick, so I got a lil decent...but my arms are still the worst. Its like a jack-in-the-box popping open every time I ollie.
Speed is everything! You can make a slow trick look good, but can't make a fast trick look bad.

Look at Gerwers hill bomb, my pick for SLS trick of the year. There are times when ledge skating is cool and fun, but nothing looks better than going hype fast. Do whatever trick on ledge you want, post it on instagram, noone had more fun than the successful hill bomb or even mega ramp trick. You can tell who's having fun on their skateboard and who's not.

Vibes of skating rocks

• Rep: -22
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
I fuckin' hate 95% of you. That is all.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1945
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 10:02:27 PM »
Whoa dude

wattscain

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »
I fuckin' hate 95% of you. That is all.

If I'm sensing the right thing, I agree with this guy. I'm following this thread because I'm honestly amazed at how progressively ridiculous it's become. Keep in mind it already started at a pretty high level of silliness.  

The fake style argument never made sense to me. It seems skaters are just targeting pros/ams they already didn't like and trying to make their dislikes sound as if they're based on objective reasoning.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:25:09 PM by Lizzie Borden »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »
I feel like after Baker 3 there was a few skaters in my area trying to emulate dixon's style. I always thought Trapasso was like that and had a forced heavy hand style also Kevin Romar.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:21:53 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »

Thick McRunFast

• Rep: -19
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2016, 01:30:53 AM »

that knee holding thing is bizarre. It definitely looks unnatural but who knows. I do this thing where I sorta hike up my left pant leg with my left hand when I push. like right where my pocket is. I sort of pull it up a little to where my femur meets my hip. I think its some old habit I had when I was a kid when I wore super baggy 90s jeans.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2016, 02:50:14 AM »
Trevor Colden, Gino and Miles are definitely self-conscious about their style, but I wouldn't consider them fake and I think they still look awesome. Austin and Dylan get into the groove too much and it makes their skating less enjoyable to me at least. I wouldn't say they fake it either but just exaggerate their style a bit too much. Theotis looks fake a lot of times