Author Topic: insane photo, mundane footage  (Read 7147 times)

ungzilla

Re: insane photo, mundane footage
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 11:01:08 AM »
is that for sure the same spot?  it looks different.  in the photo that little lower ledge on the right connects the the platform he's ollieing from, and in the video, the ledge seems to be in the middle of the water not connected to either side.

just variation as to where he was popping, the photo probably not the same attempt. but for sure same spot.

Extremely underwhelming. But to be fair, the footage had an absurd amount of hype to live up to.

what was that dill 360 in? definitely haven't seen it. after that PS thread though no footage could live up to that.

MaitlandPrivado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
Expand Quote
is that for sure the same spot?  it looks different.  in the photo that little lower ledge on the right connects the the platform he's ollieing from, and in the video, the ledge seems to be in the middle of the water not connected to either side.
[close]

just variation as to where he was popping, the photo probably not the same attempt. but for sure same spot.

This is correct. In the photo you can clearly see that he is under or in between the roadways rather than outside of them as in the footage. His shirt is up in the footage but down in the photo.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
people were talking about the thrasher cover w/ jamie foy and the back smith gap out, and how it doesn't look as gnarly w/o the fisheye (obviously). then i started thinking about other photos that seemed totally fucked up at the time, but then the footage was kind of a let down, or at least anti-climactic. one example that comes to mind is this geoff rowley cover, which my teen brain couldn't even comprehend:

and then the footage i don't think i even realized was the same thing for many years after (2:10):

who's got some others? or this can be the fourth thread about kader sylla wearing a different kind of shoe than he was wearing before.

Sturt is the shit.

tura

• Rep: 45
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:21 PM »
I've been trying to find a photo from an old Big Brother for a while. It's like a fifteen or so stair 50-50, and the skater has his arms behind him like iron man blasting off. A few issues later, the same guy had a completely psychotic letter in the mail section. Out of curiosity I looked the dude up and found a youtube clip with the 50-50, but it was a drop in grind. The photo is so insane, both of his arms are behind him like superman, and he has this crazed look in his eyes (it's fisheye at the bottom of the set).

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -626
  • who knows
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »
good example w/ the leo thing, i think that applies to a lot of frontside grinds next to death drops, they just always make better photos than footage. heath's back lip attempt on that rail in like st. louis or something is one of the few that seemed just as gnarly in the footage. i can't recall where to find that.

another one i remembered last night was the jake johnson switch 360 flip in korea, which via camera trickery and primo angle selection looks much more humongous than it looked in the video:

compared with:

(41 seconds)

ha. i lived a few blocks from here, and when that photo came out i basically said this and everybody got so butt hurt that i was shitting on jake johnson.  it's not a diss, i was just saying it was no where near as amazing as the photo made it look.
where is home?

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

Extremely underwhelming. But to be fair, the footage had an absurd amount of hype to live up to.
[close]

what was that dill 360 in? definitely haven't seen it. after that PS thread though no footage could live up to that.

3:55

A.J.K.

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 12:27:43 PM »
A slight variation: insane (kinda) photo, (what would have been) mundane footage.

Maybe we got footage 50-50 on the hubba into the bank somewhere? In general, though, Pops did us dirty never seeing that these clips were released, provided they're all lands.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
Expand Quote
good example w/ the leo thing, i think that applies to a lot of frontside grinds next to death drops, they just always make better photos than footage. heath's back lip attempt on that rail in like st. louis or something is one of the few that seemed just as gnarly in the footage. i can't recall where to find that.

another one i remembered last night was the jake johnson switch 360 flip in korea, which via camera trickery and primo angle selection looks much more humongous than it looked in the video:

compared with:

(41 seconds)

[close]

i've also noticed this, i think the clip is filmed 'deeper' in the background of the photo

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 923
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »
every kenny reed photo/clip

Absolutely, off the top of my head

4:52

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
This one kind of bummed me out a bit just because I used to drive by the spot all the time and it's super gnarly. Nosegrind seemed like such a wild trick to try on it with the gap out, and then the footage was a bit of a let down.

4:48

Did anybody ever figure out what "rise with the fallen" means? I like that it's in there as a quote too, like he actually ever said that.

ungzilla

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
buy his shoes and you'll go to heaven

worked better than the previous "buy fallen or you will go to hell" ad campaign

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »
Just to play devil's advocate here, I don't think the point of a mag cover is to showcase something necessarily being the gnarliest thing ever.

Instead, it's meant to showcase a gnarly skate photo to entice you to open the mag, which these obviously succeeded in doing.

EDIT: This thread is not solely about covers, but photos in general. However, I stand by my point.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:16:44 PM by coyote2425 »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
A slight variation: insane (kinda) photo, (what would have been) mundane footage.

Maybe we got footage 50-50 on the hubba into the bank somewhere? In general, though, Pops did us dirty never seeing that these clips were released, provided they're all lands.

I'm 100% certain I've seen footage of this, I think it was in the unused Pretty Sweet bonus footage.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »

This happens with Geoff Rowley a lot, why did they have such a quick shitty angle of this 180 in Extremely Sorry?

Ewan Bowman is Extremely Shitty!

Plop

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
This one kind of bummed me out a bit just because I used to drive by the spot all the time and it's super gnarly. Nosegrind seemed like such a wild trick to try on it with the gap out, and then the footage was a bit of a let down.

4:48

For someone that has a reputation of being extremely picky when it comes to footage being used, this is weak as.  Not a make at all and for second last trick? Surely he could of either made it better or put this in the credits.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 01:50:23 PM »

morningcommute

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 01:53:46 PM »
they did pops dirty with the video angle. could have looked so much radder

Jacob Gary

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »
they did pops dirty with the video angle. could have looked so much radder

Yeah but how would you film it then, because aside from there being a huge drop on the otherside it's not the gnarliest thing ever.

morningcommute

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
Pretty sweet was full of stupid cut away angles. why not use it appropriately and film a ride up or pop into shot from the angle they filmed it, minus the stupid zoom that cuts out the death drop element, then cut to a shot filmed more to the right/centre that shows off the cool architecture of the multiple banks and would show off the landing into the bank better.

As it is the footage just looks like a 5050 to flat. you could hardly tell there was a bank there if it wasn't for the photo and they zoom it so quick you can barely see the drop.

Even with the walking up the stairs shot, it's all so quick and just doesn't do justice to it.
It might not be the best trick in the world but it could have looked really cool.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:19:36 PM by morningcommute »

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »

Where is that footage?

I think a good amount of Geoff Rowley's photos from the vans video that were in ads were incredible, but the footage was very underwhelming.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you ever been there? its mental. anything thats ever been done on the spot that wasnt just a straight pop over the bar is gnarly.
Kenny Reed doesnt deserve being mentioned in this thread, everything he has ever done before the late part of his career was good, he always skated hard spots that looked good with a lot of style. he was never a 'stunt' skater

ledgendary

• Rep: 2
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is more of a case of a good trick filmed poorly but I remember a nice sequence of Pat Melcher wallriding between two 7ft high roofs and then seeing the footage in the Blackout Video which was shot with a fisheye and made it look 1ft high.

Can't find the photos or remember if they were in Big Brother or TWS.
[close]

Biggest photo i could find on the web
[close]

Weird, that's the same trick on a different set of roofs than in the video, although I could have sworn there was a sequence in there too.

Trick at 0:46
Wait, footy is the same spot as the photo right?

And yes, a sequence of it ran on the contents page of that big brother.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 923
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have you ever been there? its mental. anything thats ever been done on the spot that wasnt just a straight pop over the bar is gnarly.
Kenny Reed doesnt deserve being mentioned in this thread, everything he has ever done before the late part of his career was good, he always skated hard spots that looked good with a lot of style. he was never a 'stunt' skater

Yes, and a lot of it looked better in photos than in footage. I'm not saying he was a bad skater.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
that photo with the bank to wallride on the bus w the concerned Asian lady in the window. Amazing photo that says a lot, but a 2 second clip of it might just pass by without much consideration.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is correct. In the photo you can clearly see that he is under or in between the roadways rather than outside of them as in the footage. His shirt is up in the footage but down in the photo.
I've been wondering a lot about this also, if you watch the clip and the photo , he's skating at different parts of the gap in each. In the footage he's at the end of those weird stairs in the water, but the pic he,s on the opposite end of the stair thing, that's about 8 feet difference between those areas. So the photo might be at a bigger part of the spot

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I've been wondering a lot about this also, if you watch the clip and the photo , he's skating at different parts of the gap in each. In the footage he's at the end of those weird stairs in the water, but the pic he,s on the opposite end of the stair thing, that's about 8 feet difference between those areas. So the photo might be at a bigger part of the spot

They are clearly at different parts of the gap. In the photo you can see in the background where the footage was shot..there's a standalone block in the water and there's the stone ledge that sits at water level across from it..the thing is, it looks like the total distance of the gap is the same.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

badfomyhealth

• Rep: 7
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »

compared with:

(41 seconds)

i remember this pissed me off so much lmao

Badformyhealth is a severe alcoholic, confirmed.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »

I still don't think this is a real skate photo #SLAPbrokeme

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 635
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
Some of these are clear examples of a photographer knowing his craft and a filmer winging it. Then again, everything is a “land” when you are snapping pics, so I can empathize with fellow filmers. Great thread though!

ableSkateMag.com